The GrapheneOS Controversy

Why are you still using GrapheneOS user?

Bromite can no longer use Vanadium source code because MUH CALYX IS ... LE BAD!!!1!

Are you seriously trusting the founder of GrapheneOS (Daniel Micay) for your privacy and security?

Vanadium license changed 2 days ago:

"The Vanadium code may be used as part of a work with code licensed as Apache
2. An exception is made for the specific patent clause of the Apache 2
license."

github.com/GrapheneOS/Vanadium/blob/12.1/LICENSE.Apache-2.0-note

Bromite is GPL-3.0.

>NEWFAGS SEE HERE FOR CONTEXT:
desuarchive.org/g/thread/87378374/#87378374

github.com/bromite/bromite/pull/2102

github.com/bromite/bromite/issues/2141

Attached: 1928412984719287491.png (263x299, 6.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20220608161212/https://www.businessinsider.com/open-source-activism-ice-protests-open-source-initiative-2019-11
github.com/GrapheneOS/Vanadium/blob/12.1/LICENSE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>free and open-source
>unless (((we))) no longer like you

There's probably only a handful of people who use GrapheneOS on Any Forums

>Micay
that sounds like a funny name to me

Whats the big deal. I can use a different browser

i don't get the whole deal with licenses - as long as you aren't making money off of it why should a license stop you from using FOSS code for whatever the fuck you want? what are they gonna do about it?

It's a good os and I don't care if a dev is a faggot obsessed with a competitor os. I will still use bromite regardless of his hissy fits.

Yes, but a lot of people uses Bromite, or even ungoogled-chromium, that borrows code from Bromite and therefore Vanadium.

Ungoogled Chromium has a BSD-License, not Apache 2.0.

This is a huge lose.

This.

Almost like those cancer SJW licenses; muh anticapitalist-license, Hippocratic License, or the Vaccine License. (yes, is real).

web.archive.org/web/20220608161212/https://www.businessinsider.com/open-source-activism-ice-protests-open-source-initiative-2019-11

Zoomers can't into FOSS, is all about politics now.

I'll be honest, I'm a brainlet when it comes to license compatibility. The topic has never held my interest.

After a quick look, Vanadium still lists GPLv2 (so I guess it's multi-license?), Bromite is GPLv3. What is the issue?

>Are you seriously trusting the founder of GrapheneOS (Daniel Micay) for your privacy and security?
You don't have to trust anybody the source is there for you to read. If you don't like something they did fork it yourself lazy faggot

github.com/GrapheneOS/Vanadium/blob/12.1/LICENSE
>Vanadium patches are available under the terms of the GNU General Public
License version 2 only, according with LICENSE.GPL-2.0. (((ALSO))) see
LICENSE.WebView-note and LICENSE.Apache-2.0-note for (((EXCEPTIONS))) from the GPLv2
terms.

Is GPL, but not completely GPL.
Daniel Micay does not allow the use of the patches in other projects that are not under the Apache License.

Same retard here.
I apologize if this sounds like "kilogram of feathers, kilogram of steel" to you.

Yeah, I looked at the Vanadium license files, and the recent changes.
But my understanding is that Apache 2.0 is compatible with GPLv3, so the bit about "GPLv2 only" doesn't matter.

Am I mistaken? Or is that the heart of this issue, this guy has set up a specific exclusion like the pic?

Attached: floss-license-slide-image.png (2560x1280, 197.16K)

i'm not reading two pages of internet drama, why are they doing this?

ok, i think this might be the gist of it

>@csagan5 Bromite has used a lot of patches from Vanadium. If you're going to be collaborating with a group (Calyx) involved in a substantial misinformation and harassment/bullying campaign directed towards our project and developers we expect all of the Vanadium patches to be removed, and for Vanadium to no longer be used as a reference by Bromite. That's especially true when the licensing situation blocks us from using Bromite changes in return. You changed your licensing because you felt you were being taken advantage of by others but that's now what's happening to Vanadium, especially when our changes are now going to be laundered through Bromite by Calyx while they are involved in extremely unacceptable malicious behavior towards us. This will also have consequences for Bromite developers and contributors in the GrapheneOS community, since anyone collaborating with Calyx is not welcome in our community.

>substantial misinformation and harassment/bullying campaign
>involved in extremely unacceptable malicious behavior towards us

This sounds a lot like "you're refusing to fantasize along with me, and call me a real woman".

I still find it extremely ironic that the self proclaimed(it also has shills don't get me wrong) most secure OS for android phones requires google devices. Very glowie of them.

basically grapheneos dev is a huge sperg that chimps out for no reason at all, he thinks there is an internet hate group stalking him. This is one of those times.

Remember that time he said Any Forums trolls were harassing him? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

literal gem

Attached: 1649075760775.png (595x333, 64.47K)

Attached: 1590192225920.png (590x854, 44.96K)

Attached: 1590197255233.png (615x567, 112.63K)