Is it a bad idea to buy used video cards that were used for ethereum mining? Do they actually get clapped out...

Is it a bad idea to buy used video cards that were used for ethereum mining? Do they actually get clapped out, like a used car, from running at 100% 24/7?

Reason why I ask is because I have a i5 2500k that was basically used 24/7 for yers and it still runs like new. Are GPUs the same?

Attached: twarren_rtx3080.0.jpg (1200x675, 101.19K)

Yes, it's a bad idea. GPS are not the same as CPUs, and the real issue is that mining had burned through everything else on those boards, they'll start popping caps like a bag of microwave popcorn.

Yi Long Ma Tezla Model Xi RTZ 9999xp 9999999999999 tflops best btc miner forklift 15'9in lcd oled display apple dell optiplex macbook pro 356 kbps sound quality 2gb ram ddr 720p 60fps NO REFUNDS

Attached: unknown.png (1023x1280, 3.36M)

I will buy silicon that hasn't improved 2D performance in 10 years. I will buy silicon that draws more than 50 watts. I will buy silicon that can't drive a 4K TV from walmart for $300 when it would cost me $400 to $2000. I will consoom and I will be happy.

Attached: FVw82FQWIAcsh78.jpg (1125x1935, 349.99K)

Enjoy

Attached: this is mostly caused by vram.png (744x543, 621.05K)

you'll soon get a lot of changs come in here and say it's a conspiracy not to buy used ones and that they treat them well and undervolt them blah blah blah.
i wouldn't risk it. prices are falling real fast. i just bought a 3080 ti for under MSRP

Mining cards are usually undervolted and run in a temperature controlled environment if they’re set up by someone who knows what they’re doing and not some retard off the street trying to cash in on the crypto craze. The biggest worry you’ll have is the fan bearings wearing out. It’s more of a case of “use your best judgement” instead of completely yes or no.

I wouldn’t buy used electronics period. You don’t know what was done to the thing you’re buying. Better to spend extra cash and get a new card + usable warranty.

In a couple of months (weeks maybe) you're going to see a flood of "I fell for the used minig GPU meme!" posts when they all start failing.

We no buy, Zeng. Peddle your crypto trash somewhere else, or we'll round eye curb stomp your bug head.

Yeah ok retard. Go be stupid somewhere else

As far as I know the actual GPU die should be fine but the memory chips might be shot. ETH mining favours undercoating and underclocking the GPU itself but pushing the memclock as high as possible.

If you are going to buy, buy from a “boutique” miner who only has a few rigs and treats it like a hobby rather than a purely economic enterprise like the chinks do.

Okay, Zeng.

Attached: ISaidNoBugman.jpg (213x236, 7.13K)

please dont buy a used mining gpu. let those miningfags go bankrupt. do not reward their faggotry.

They don't slowly lose their lifespan by being used. Either they are working or they are dead from some singular event such as a power surge.

Save your money for a bit longer and buy a new card so that you get the warranty with it.

Miners push memory beyond what is recommended, depending on the age it could be fine but they will have degraded memory chips far beyond what regular use will do.

I wouldn't trust a miner card for this reason, there is just no way to know how long your memory chips will last once a filthy miner has had his hands on it.

The only moving parts on the card is fan. These are solid state devices. If thermals were well managed then it should run like new. You might as well save some money and buy a former mining card.

What sort of improvement in 2D graphics are you looking for? Legitimately curious what hardware limitations still remain for that use case.

Just ignore him, he’s a poorfag retard who seethes when people buy things. He can only speak in buzzwords and made up scenarios

>Is it a bad idea to buy used video cards that were used for ethereum mining?
its obv riskier than buying new
but still better than buying a used card from a gamer

its counter-intuitive, but its actually safer for electronics to run 24/7 than to experience frequent heat cycles

if you wanna be extra safe, avoid cards with GDDR6X VRAM
so, the 3070ti, 3080, 3080ti, 3090 (regular 3070 is fine tho)
those faster ram modules ran very hot
a competent miner would have handled this, either by dropping speed or repadding the vram modules
but if you don't wanna rely on miner competence, just avoiding them will do.