Man injected RUST code onto Linux kernel

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Rust-For-Linux-5.20-Possible

Linus Torvalds and Dirk Hohndel had their usual Open-Source Summit keynote/chat where Linus commented on Rust programming language code within the kernel. Torvalds commented that real soon they expect to have the Rust infrastructure merged within the kernel, possibly even for the next release -- meaning Linux 5.20. There hasn't yet been any Rust for Linux pull request sent in or merged yet, but things have begun settling down in the initial Rust enablement code for the kernel with the basic infrastructure, a few basic sample drivers, etc. Last month saw the most recent Rust Linux kernel patches posted that got more functionality into shape and additional reviews completed. As noted plenty of times before, this Rust support within the Linux kernel will remain optional when building the kernel depending upon whether you want the support or any of the kernel features to be implemented just in Rust code.

Attached: be710bd6a95bdfc4.jpg (985x1000, 101.44K)

Cniles on suicide watch lmao

Been learning Rust with advent of code and so far I'm impressed. I don't see why Any Forums feels constantly threatened by it.

Judging by the arguments against Rust in this board, the vocal minority anti-rust propagandists are entry level programmers though I might be wrong. If so, please give me technical reasons to hate Rust.

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-06-24 06-13-45.png (3840x2096, 594.01K)

Rust is the new java.
Hot, gay and retarded. The bullshit is not necessary for a good programmer since proper buildsystem and compiler setup will stop you writing unsafe code anyway

Share the font, brother.

JetBrains Mono

buildsystem doesn't prevent errors.
The "good programmer" argument is moot because it's a technological advancement to let machines do tedious tasks (in this case, to catch errors before shipping code).

I do agree that Rust is the new java considering Rust has a big future.

>I do agree that Rust is the new java considering Rust has a big future.
bluepilled af, there is no way to stop yourself from fucking up even with draconian rules of rust, and rust is harder to debug. Take a look at swift, brother

>proper buildsystem and compiler setup will stop you writing unsafe code anyway
What build system guarantees temporal memory safety?

rust is the new javascript

securitards ruining everything, nothing new for me

>, there is no way to stop yourself from fucking up even with draconian rules of rust
Actually Rust does prevent plenty of ways to prevent very common unintentional errors like buffer overflows, use after free, data races, etc.
>harder to debug
I have been using VS Codium and the lldb plugin and it works like a charm. What's so bad about it?
Although I have rarely had to debug a Rust program.
>Swift
Linux and Windows (which only recently got supported) are treated as second class platforms and it's heavily IDE dependent. A solid techninal argument against swift.

Thanks user. Appreciated.

funny how we went from
>lol rust is a dead lang
to
>r-rust is the java and that's LE BAD

Save Linus' asshole!

If it's possible to write "unsafe" code there's good reason for it (performance). If you don't want unsafe code it should be grammatically impossible to do so (eg. use pure FP).

Rust takes this assholish middle-ground where it starts off with a language in which unsafe code is possible and part of inherent grammar, to which it attaches a borrow checker that nags you every time you do it. You're no longer thinking about "what's the correct way to solve this problem" . You're thinking about "how to please the borrow checker". A far more rigid and constrained category, which might not even contain the correct solution.

It's schizophrenic. Being nagged each time you use a low-level abstraction defeats the point of having low-level abstractions in the first place.

Use C or use FP. Or use C with formal verification, if you must. There's no point in Rust.

RIIR will be victorious, that you want it or not gramp.

>I'm a retard
holy shit shut the fuck up retard. you're objectively wrong and it's annoying seeing you retards not be banned for blatant trolling at this point.
Rust is a novel solution and all you do is cope and seethe. Enjoy your rusty linux you dumb cnile, along with your systemd and wayland and all the other shit that makes you reee like a dumb spastic faggot who has no clue what he's talking about.

>Take a look at swift, brother
>nooo monad man bad
ya it's a shit language for retards.

bloat

>Rust does prevent plenty of ways to prevent very common unintentional errors like buffer overflows, use after free, data races, etc.
I worked on rust production code, a lot of the really unsafe memory hacks are done in unsafe blocks anyway