Why do i keep getting taught useless antiquated shit?

Why do i keep getting taught useless antiquated shit?
>learn all these security measures
>lmao they arent used anymore
>learn about different protocols
>lmao they arent used anymore
>learn about IPv6 cause its "le future"
>lmao nothing uses it
Whats the point of learning all this useless shit?

Attached: netcab.jpg (700x393, 128.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xN5JGGh3kdQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sounds like you're clueless. maybe you should study more

what's there to study?
just set up a DHCP server and a firewall and it just works
modern networking is a joke

sure, guy, that's all there is to networking - auto dhcp, macfag-tier logic for your retarded peabrain needs

>failed CompTIA A+
>complains on Any Forums

>be Any Forumstard
>think you can get into complicated tech job because are consuming Any Forums at your computer all day
>fail miserably
Many such cases, sad.

I keep having to clean up behind dipshits like you, all because you said some retarded shit like "oh, I can do that for like 50 bucks with a linksys router and a few netgear cheap switches". If you want a fucked home network - keep that shit to your self. Shit like that is why we ended up with garbage like Sonos.

You can pretty much do anything with an old Linksys router with dd-wrt installed.

you should hang yourself by the cable running from your linksys router, you fucking imbecile

No. You very much can not. It is better, but it even being present is a huge red flag in its self. Coming in behind the kind of person who sets up a DDWRT router is a pain in the ass. You have no idea what they did, but you are fucking certain you are not going to like it. And add netgear flat switches to that?

The moment I see those things together I get out wireshark, clear my fucking afternoon, and just shake my head as I watch the spanning-tree fights, broadcast storms, various supernets, rogue dhcp servers, malicious scans, and general shit show.

2-7 separate active subnet scans - including self-assign (169.254/16) - later I get to go track down the 12 other misconfigured or unmanaged switches, so I can map that shit and trying to untangle that fuck fest just to clean it all up.

>turn off wifi on phone
>connect to Verizon's LTE network
>go in browser
>type "what is my ip"
>google gives me ipv6 address
I thought you said no one uses it???

you're thinking too big, this is just some retard in his basement with 2-3 devices in the network and he thinks he has networks all figured out

That's fine for a home network.
How about a 3,000 device office network? Do you even know where to start?

We are talking about home networks. I'm not talking about your juniper virtual chassis cluster running vxlans on top of it. Between dd-wrt and openwrt builds (for newer equipment), yes, you can do more or less anything you require for a home network including separating subnets for IoT garbage etc.

I know what (s)he is. I have seen their type for decades. The problem is - they always tend to catch someone's eye because they once fixed a computer by plugging it back in or some shit, or installed a video card. All the sudden some office monkey things they are Mr Hackarmann and listens to them.

A few years later there I am cleaning up the aftermath. I don't care what they do with their home network. I care because they spoke up and presented their ineptitude as wisdom - Unacceptable.

Its retards like you who get confused by a few static routing rules and decide to replace everything with a $1000 ubiquiti setup because you lack the attention span to study the network configuration before you start assuming its fundamentally flawed.

Then keep that OP level embarrassment to your selves.

>suckless fags discover networking
Oh no.

Your entire statement is a projection.

Static routing is standard in just about everything. Even the linksys routers did it. And static or dynamic routing is not complex until you start getting into higher end carrier level shit. Static, BGP, OSPF ect ect - complexity comes with scaling.

As for ubiquiti gear - I have certainly used it, but lacks in quite a few area. For small to medium I prefer IOS/IOSXE platforms, budget is the limit beyond that.

Please see OP and base arguments off that pile of shit before you project.

You don't understand. You can run all of those protocols on a shitty Linksys router with openwrt. I am not talking about OP's bait. I am saying you can in fact run a capable and complex home network with crappy Linksys routers.

Oh, I understand. I however was not willing to humor the derail.

But fine, if we must - With enough skill you could possibly mitigate everything wrong with one. So yes, I am sure you could.

Should you - No. Also OpenWRT may be the better option for something like that. Personally I would rather use pfSense or OPNSense for the use case.

Now, on a less depressing topic then simple home network designs (Seriously, flat networks are insanity), I am off to enjoy some canooksploitation - youtube.com/watch?v=xN5JGGh3kdQ