Say you were forced to use either 12ga birdshot or .22LR for home defense...

Say you were forced to use either 12ga birdshot or .22LR for home defense, which would you wager would be more effective?
Asking for no particular reason, just curiosity

Attached: download.jpg (275x183, 5.52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

doesn't seem like an "or" question

My money would be on the .22LR personally, but only as long as its out of a semi-auto rifle with a barel length long enough to give it effective muzzle velocity. If its a bolt action and/or a handgun, then its basically on par with birdshot imo

12 gauge obviously

It has to be birdshot though, think about that for a second

there's a lot of variables.

but a load of bird shot to the face will knock anyone down

Attached: 1639264619858.jpg (640x853, 105.89K)

it doesn't matter, any 12 gauge shotgun blast as close quarters is going to fucking pulverize someone

At 10-15 feet a load of birdshot is effectively a fragmenting slug.
Nobody's getting up from a chest hit from that.

birdshot is just going to leave a lot of pellets stuck inside your head. .22 at point blank is gonna pass clean through despite how some people feel about .22s

only people who have actually fired a gun should reply.

I'm just going by what my range officer said "birdshot is for birds, not people" I think he probably knows more about round effectiveness than some rando online. I've never fired either into ballistics gel or anything myself though, just plinks

Bird shot
Imagine throwing 20 or so lead BBs at the speed of sound at someone

use bird shot with a 4 inch shell loaded with extra shot

22 if theyre far out, 12 if theyre close

Birdshot to the face (eyes) would probably blind your attacker.

You have to consider penetration as well though Those BBs are roughly 10 grain projectiles which means they will carry less energy than a single shot of a supersonic 30 grain .22
I think the biggest advantage of birdshot is that its going to be much harder to miss your shot

.22lr.
I seen a vid of a school shooter who shot a girl in the chest with birdshot and she just kept walking. 22lr is used to instantly kill sheep, pigs and some cows with headshots.

>I'm just going by what my range officer said "birdshot is for birds, not people" I think he probably knows more about round effectiveness than some rando online.

I'm a range officer also.
Took a one day course, monitor my club 4 hours a week, and get free membership.
"Range Officer" is meaningless. It's like being that hall monitor in grade school.

I'm also a Mechanical Engineer which qualifies me to discuss this much more than being a hall monitor.

Attached: 1631755376765.jpg (236x215, 8.79K)

I suppose it comes down to combat ranges you want to engage from. Though a high rof weapon chambered in 22lr would be pretty devastating assuming you can send enough rounds down range that penetrate vital areas.

your eyes are a pretty exposed target. My old boss was blinded in one eye do to ricochet from a fucking air rifle. The plastic bb somehow got his right eye leaving it completely blind.

If you are properly trained, then .22lr is the most effective
If you can't aim in a stressfull situation like most people, then go for birdshot

It's literally in the name ''bird''shot, that stuff doesn't stop a threat much less a person invading your home.

Birdshot is meant to get birds out of the air while not having some deadly bullet go down somewhere

#8 Birdshot is around 200 pellets in a 12 gauge 2 3/4" shell.
The amount of energy each pellet carries is miniscule. You have to be in the same room to have any effect. If you're in an apartment then you might be OK but if you fire down a hallway in a normal size house, 3ven with a full choke, you're getting a massive spread.
Does nobody remember that Dick Cheney shot his buddy in the face from like 20 feet away? In a home defense situation your just going to piss off an intruder.

>12ga birdshot
>don't try this at home, I'm what you call "a professional"
youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

Found the nogunz.

Attached: a-shotgun-red-cartridge-in-horizontal-position-open-at-the-top-and-CEB5AP.jpg (1300x956, 83.81K)

People seem to be confusing birdshot with buckshot.

Attached: shell12.jpg (800x533, 99.51K)

Mixed up birdshot with small game shot
Birdshot is basically throwing 200 pepper sized lead BBs not 20
Will still likely stick with that over .22 due to my wrath for whoever breaks in having to dig 200 small poisonous ball bearings out of their flesh rather than one shot center mass

>brandish a .22LR
meh
>rack a round into a 12-gauge
nobody wanna fuck widdat