Power consumption

Do PCs really use a lot of electricity in a house? Everytime the bill comes in the blame falls on me for using the pc too much, its a dell optiplex i7 3rd gen and a gtx 960. I use it 6-8 hours a day with 3 hours of gaming, the rest is just me dicking around in the Internet and work. Anyway what appliances use a ton of electricity that is mostly the culprit?

Attached: 1655266806834.gif (700x500, 14.58K)

Water heaters, kettles, lighting appliances usually consume the most as far as i know.

>incel processor
housefire
>goyvidya gpu
housefire

its entirely your fault

the biggest power consumer in most houses is gonna be air conditioning this time of year, hands down. your PC probably uses like 50 watts when you're puttering around on the internet and maybe close to 250 when you're playing a game. (assuming that game gives your PC a real workout, playing Terraria or something will hardly kick it off idle)

things like electric kettles have a very high power draw but they generally aren't on for very long, just a few minutes so you can have your tea or instant ramen or whatever.

Your PC probably idles at about 200 W and uses 400 under load, with the numbers you gave that's 200*5 + 400*3 = 2.2 kWh. What do you pay per kWh? 2.2 kWh would cost me about £0.50.

Heating water is usually the main culprit. I once calculated the energy use of everything in my house and the boiler was by far the biggest consumer.

how much toaster consumes? i use normal steel kettles on gas stove so thats not issue for me. but if toaster is problem, i might start frying bread on frying pan as well

my dad would say that when i still lived with him, then i made the math next to him and he never mentionned the subject again.

Quite a bit, over a thousand watts, but again it's a matter of high draw for low duration. It only draws that much when you're making toast. Which takes like two or three minutes and you do a few times a day at most.

If you have AC running at all in the house I'd be shocked if that's not the biggest thing, any other electric large appliances (clothes driers, refrigerators, etc) are probably going to be next. Buy a kill-a-watt and you can get some hard numbers on this stuff, has the right idea.

>electric kettles
my uncle likes to leave them plugged in 24/7, it boils for a few minutes and it has a "keep warm" function, does it draw the same amount of power as boiling it?

>you do a few times a day at most.
that's a shitload
okay into the trash toaster goes

obviously not, or the water would start to boil again

Frankly this

A 3rd gen i7 and 960 consume less than the average 4k 23984729384nits tv so tell your parents to fuck off and stop watching bullshit if they want to cut their costs.

My kettle uses like what, 1600W for a minute, maybe two? Meanwhile my gaming PC uses 90W when it's just idling. So basically the kettle will use about 30 to 60 Wh of electricity for a boil, and having the PC on for an hour, doing nothing, uses 90 Wh of electricity.

>Your PC probably idles at about 200 W
not him but my UPS says that everything connected to it draws 82 W while idle, and 180+ while playing Elden Ring
of course, i don't know how accurate is it
if i plug in my phone for charging, the consumption jumps 20 W

>Your PC probably idles at about 200 W and uses 400 under load
That sounds like too much unless you have very power hungry components. Especially idle.

I've got an i5,-10600KF RTX 3060, 2x8 GB DDR4 and a 600W power supply (80 PLUS Platinum). Measured like 90 W idle, about 120 W browsing the Internet and having YouTube on, 200 W for Rocket League and 300 W for Cyberpunk 2077. I think the highest peak I measured with Cyberpunk was 320 W.

>the consumption jumps 20 W
well, about 20, probably less
just checked the charger, it says it has a 10W throughput

offgrid solar fag here. I had to get every watt count in the beginning, so I have a pretty decent understanding now and yes, like some people have already said itt, it's never your computer, or the lights, router or your phone charger. It's always always always AC, water heater, heating, oven, kettles. Anything that involves resistance temp change is a fucking power leech. Unless you're mining crypto, I doubt you're using over 400w/h, if that.

>does it draw the same amount of power as boiling it?
Pretty basic physics that taking water that is probably like 20°C and bringing it to 100°C very fast, is not quite as energy-intensive as having like 95°C water and keeping at that level. Especially if it's a well-insulated kettle, which it hopefully is if it's designed for keeping the water warm for a long time.

Even if you're mining you'd almost have to be retarded for a single computer with a single gpu to draw 400W+

>like some people have already said itt, it's never your computer
I actually cut like 60 to 70 kWh from my monthly usage by replacing my old desktop. I got it at the end of March and January to March, I averaged 274 kWh per month, and in April and May, when I had my new computer, I averaged 208 kWh. Getting the new computer was noticeable almost immediately in the daily statistics.

Granted, one part of this is that the old computer would crash if I tried to sleep it, so I kept it on 24/7. New computer can actually sleep, so when I'm in bed, I put it to sleep. Therefore it's closer to 17/7.