Zoomer here, was this as bad as people said...

Zoomer here, was this as bad as people said? It's my understanding that the long pipeline allowed for insane clock speeds (for 2000 standards), but that it didn't matter because branch prediction issues made it stall so frequently.

Attached: s-l500.jpg (399x350, 20.31K)

Yes. It was slow, hot and power hungry, and people held onto their Tualatin Pentium 3s as long as possible. It was the Bulldozer of its day, and Core 2 rescued Intel from that half-decade episode of being raped by AMD - who then ironically replaced Phenom with Bulldozer.

Some of them were decent when it came to performance, but very power hungry and their temps were awful. I remember having the HT 3.06 Ghz Prescott 90nm chip, it was easily at 55-60°C at idle.
AMD had shit that was better at far lower frequencies, like 2.2 ghz or something. And ran cooler.

>And ran cooler
You had me up to here. Athlons ran pretty fucking hot too (I had a Windsor Athlon X2) - they just had the performance to justify melting through your table

depends on the generation
i had a barton xp 2500+
stock at 1.83 Ghz.
tuned up to 2.25.
ran idle around 40°c on air, side panels removed tho

>depends on the generation
Well yeah, that's what I'm getting at. AMD didn't have the problems scaling Athlon as Intel had scaling Netburst, but there were similarities.
We knock AMD for dropping Phenom now and ushering in the Constructor debacle, but they had pushed the Athlon architecture to its limits - there wasn't a great deal of difference between your Barton, my Windsor, and the very last Phenom.

>ushering in the Constructor debacle
eh, they were a stepping stone towards zen and its modularity, i can forgive them for that

despite having a piledriver myself and having soldered my power supply to the mobo bc 12v rail connector corroded from all the juice flowing through it

>it was easily at 55-60°C at idle
wow so just like my 5800X then

machine literally tried to commit sudoku

try to remove your side panels.
it may be shit airflow within the case

Attached: sudoku-machine.jpg (3096x4128, 3.55M)

>it may be shit airflow within the case
No, it's fine under load. The 5800X just behaves like that. I can set the fans to full blast on my Dark Rock Pro 4 and it makes no difference.

Slow, power hungry and needed expensive memory.

No, I still have my Northwood machine with 512MB DDR. This was before memory controllers were moved off the north bridge and into the CPU, motherboard manufacturers could choose Rambus or DDR. In terms of heat it was pretty chill and massively overclockable, it's Prescott where Intel lost the plot.

Willamette was shit. Northwood was good. Prescott was shit.

Once Northwood was out, if you did anything but wait for Core2 (or go A64) you were wasting your money.

RAMBUS was introduced on Pentium-III, and almost no-one had it even in the P4 era.

>RAMBUS was introduced on Pentium-III, and almost no-one had it even in the P4 era.
i was gonna say, since when did the p4 support rambus? i thought that was just an itanium thing
i used several p4 machines and many of my friends owned them and none had rambus ram

I owned one and it was sweet. Could play AOE 2, Halo, WC3, Minecraft(Alpha, Beta) no problems. Web browsing and adobe products all worked, I don't remember performance being bad but back then I was satisfied if something ran stable.

First PC I built was based on a Northwood 2.8 Ghz P4 with Hyperthreading. It was a hell of a system, lasted me many years. Ran hot. But it was supposed to. My current desktop/workstation PC is a Ryzen 3700X-based system. You know what it does a lot better than that old P4 system? Basically nothing. Shitty software just moves in to soak up any advances in hardware. Use whatever you want. These are tools, not a lifestyle.

>since when did the p4 support rambus?
Oh it did, i850 chipset, but basically no-one bought it.

The Dell 8250 was a RAMBUS system, and they're the hardest clamshell Dells to find.

Cooling back then was so different from today, citing and comparing temperatures is totally useless.

Hot, and latency issues murdered performance. Yes it was a pile of shit.

Explain literally one thing that's changed about CPU cooling in the last 20 years? Slap some thermal grease on a chunk of conductive metal and then either blow air onto it or run water through it. Other than needing different mounting brackets to accommodate new socket layouts, nothing about cooling has changed since the P4, the PIII, the PII or even the Pentium Pro.

Thermal density (and asymmetric distribution) of some modern CPUs is much higher. A cooler designed for a 130W TDP Intel CPU of 2009 can't handle a "105W" TDP Zen3 for example, and it's borderline on the "65W" ones. Such as the Noctua U12P (not the U12S, that one's even worse), which causes the 5900X to thermal throttle, presumably because the thin heatpipes don't transfer heat fast enough to the fins.

A long time ago I had a laptop with a desktop version installed. At the office we called it the hovercraft because the fans would spin up even when doing the most basic tasks.