/tjg/ - Tech Jobs General

Workplace stories.
Advice on how to progress in your career.
Ask and give help on HOW TO GET A JOB.
Discuss the technologies you use.
Making fun of NEETs is allowed and encouraged.

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/problemset/all/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>Responding to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

(suggest any links to add to the list)

Last thread

Attached: tron-cubicles.jpg (640x294, 71.86K)

if I make good contributions to high profile open source projects will any companies hire me for big money? I'm an jobless bum with no degree

whats the best way to learn sql? i hear thats where the money is at.

sqlbolt

Sorry, I posted the original in the old thread.
Not a necessarily a tech job, but I'm interviewing for a marketing intern job tomorrow at a telecom company (i know, meme degree, but I might as well finish), any tips? It's an online interview with 3 people. They only asked for basic Excel (vlookup, etc). Are they just going to throw marketing terms at me, ask for Excel formulas, test my English, etc?
I have to "measure campaign performance", "support retention", work out ways to "win back" consumers.
What should I know about the telecom industry before the interview?

Attached: 1624290212832.png (640x360, 438.35K)

first day today. patch some cable for IP cams. nice lil baby cows. i pated one.

>if I make good contributions to high profile open source projects will any companies hire me for big money?
i have never seen that happen.
i had that plan as well, i found a bug in a library and reported it with the intent of becoming a regular contributor.
i never figured out how to fix the bug though

>go on teamblind to ask a question
>see daily thread about 23-25 year olds flexing about making 300k again
yeah i get it i failed i just have to live with it i guess

what if you did become a regular contributor though. would it have made you more attractive to a company

Working in local government IT currently making $100K a year and on track to be promoted to $150K a year within a couple of years. Can't be fired. Boring. Get a lot of time off. I just manage some old software systems that have been around since the 90s and are never ever going away.
Convince me to learn new skills and try to become a SWE or something in the private sector. My salary is not that bad but obviously I don't get any stock or bonuses or any of that shit.

what colleges did they go to

should i use postgresql

Do not talk about salary to your interviewers. After they extend the offer then you negotiate through the recruiter before accepting.

usually ivies and top 20s. rarely anything under top 50

I loaded up blind just now and the very first post, I kid you not, is from some guy at amazon who says he makes 340k. The title: "Don't feel like living this life anymore."
It's almost as if the money doesn't make you happy.
Just make it your goal to make "6 figures" as the saying goes, $100K (outside of San Franshithole etc.) is enough to give you a comfortable life, impress normies, be able to be a provider for a family, etc. and it's attainable enough without genius or a lot of luck.

My school is not even t500 and I'm getting headhunted by 2sigma, jane street, akuna, tiktok, amazon, microsoft, roblox, and more... no google or apple though...

well the plan was more
>project maintainer was senior dev at company
>get enough PRs merged in to feel comfortable messaging maintainer on linkedin or something
>put contributions on resume
>ask him for a referral to the company
i don't know if it's a good plan

i'm really convinced it's all the same no matter where you go
>Just make it your goal to make "6 figures" as the saying goes
already in the FAGMAN ratrace. i can't really get out. nobody that isn't FAGMAN even gives me an interview

do you have something else on your resume?

cute!

>"Don't feel like living this life anymore."

what does he want then? more money? less money?

>do you have something else on your resume?
nah I got caught up in the recent waves of companies fucking with people and headhunters spam the public "layoff" lists. but they actually follow through when normally theyd trash my resume. and none of the engineers during phone screens/onsites have asked about my uni.

kinda funny how that works because nothing changed about me. i think it's moreso if you prove you can get into at least one bigtech company then recruiters believe you'll pass their "hiring bar" and engineers just care about your technical abilities and not pedigree

probably so much money that he doesn't have to worry about working anymore
and other things that money can't buy

>if you prove you can get into at least one bigtech company
yes, recruiters pull from target companies and target schools. having google on your resume or something is a definite booster
how were the janestreet and 2s interviews?