America being invaded in the worst way imaginable

America being invaded in the worst way imaginable

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/phen.12385

The palm-sized Yolo spider has been found out to be especially resistant to cold, yet it formerly lived in the warmth. Now it is invading North America. It has no natural enemies and it flies.

Spiderlings disperse by fashioning web parachutes to fly as far as 100 miles before finally landing. They could soon dominate the entire Eastern Seaboard. Since the spider hitchhiked its way to the northeast of Atlanta, Georgia, inside a shipping container, its numbers and range have expanded steadily.

>Common to China

the Yolo spider is part of a group of spiders known as "orb weavers" because of their highly symmetrical, circular webs.

Despite its threatening appearance the spider's bite is rarely strong enough to break through the mammalian skin. However if this does happen, it may kill a cat in some extreme cases.

By tracking the spiders' locations in the wild and monitoring their vitals as they subjected caught specimens to freezing temperatures, the researchers found that the Yolo spider has about double the metabolic rate of its African cousin, along with a 77% higher heart rate and a much better survival rate in cold temperatures.

The spider could actually also be beneficial, especially in Georgia where they kill off mosquitos, biting flies and another invasive species -- the brown marmorated stink bug, which damages crops and has no natural predators.

Attached: arachnid.jpg (1920x2560, 599.46K)

They're harmless.

a yolo just flew over my house

thats not the worst way possible by a long shot.
the worst kind of invasion would be butt raping robots that ejaculate hot sauce

To humans maybe. Wait till they overtake the ecosystem.

we are plagued with green parakeets here in bongland. as invasive species go, they look cute and aren't causing too many problems for native species, but their fucking shrieking calls are annoying as fuck

Fucking disgusting creatures. I'll kill any that see. Hate spiders

>and it flies

Attached: 1633277080289.png (600x550, 21.07K)

Quaker parrots? I had one as a pet.

Now they're everywhere.

Also we get the goldsilk orb weavers here too. Might be big and funny as fuck to hold them from the back and chase your friends with them if they were afraid of spiders XD

>Spiderlings disperse by fashioning web parachutes to fly as far as 100 miles before finally landing.

This is the extent of how they fly.

Also, NOT venomos and cannot bite. It's also been in America for 40+ years as I used to see these in Socal as a child and I see them today in Texas.

>bite is rarely strong enough to break through the mammalian skin.
>may kill a cat in some extreme cases.
>extreme cases
Why is it the end of the world then?

ring necked parakeets mainly, a few pockets of monk parakeets too

I manage a pest control business so... I see this as a win.

they were everywhere in korea

the worst part is they make huge webs between trees and hang out on them at eye level. walkways by parks or forests meant dodging these constantly

Meh, they're everywhere in Australia. harmless to humans. good pest control.

Can get a bit out of hand on long hot summers

And false widows (bloody everywhere now) and wasp spiders.

And grey squirrels.

And mink.

Banana spiders? Aka golden orb spiders? Yeah, they’ve been in florida for a while.

Those are Nephila true web spiders..

They are really big boys spider bros, catch anything.

Love those mdf

You mean a Golden-Thread Spider? What's so wrong with them? They're harmless and its thread is used for Kevlar, seems like its a match made in heaven if they're adapting to live in northern latitudes like in the USA.

I dont like em

don't worry, they don't fly any more than most spiderlings do user :)