/tjg/ - Tech Jobs General

Workplace stories. Advice on how to progress in your career. Ask and give help on HOW TO GET A JOB. Discuss the technologies you use.
Making fun of NEETs is allowed and encouraged.

Resources:
leetcode.com/problemset/all/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
layoffs.fyi/

Last thread

Attached: 1642745354383.jpg (752x968, 128.28K)

What’s the more interesting field, data science or infosec? Trying to decide between these two.

imho theyre the same field, but it depends, do you want to be a leet hacker or just handle any kind of data. infosec is mostly about social engineering, encrypting data, and data science as it pertains to filtering normal data from threats.

Unless you're doing bleeding edge research or vulnerability discovery, from what I've seen, infosec work is mostly box-checking... looking at configs and stuff, seeing if it complies, and saying "yes this is compliant according to these published requirements, therefore it is secure."
Data Science will probably be more.... idk if this is the right word, but: "creative". That said, I don't really know much about data science, but it will definitely have much more of a math skills requirement.

did she really say that?

Do it, you can bang out a degree in a year if you work hard (especially if you already have some credits).
I did it over covid, got a 90k job a few months later, now I have almost a year under my belt and I'm looking to move up to another company for a pay raise.
It's all on you though, I was kind of lazy and didn't do much but procrastinate/play video games the one semester... try not to do that.

Just a tip, if you live near a big city, you can probably get a job in AV with just a high school degree. Most of the fields are highly technical and might appeal to people who'd be interesting in networking or programming.

The hours suck, and the pay starting out isn't great, but you'll probably see some shit and have some neat shows.

I started in audio, but I've worked with a lot of other stuff. I've gotten to play with cameras, lighting consoles, lights, scissor lifts, projectors and video distro, video walls. I've also built lots of cat5 cables. and crammed switches in between pipes in hotel broom closets. Exploring the back halls of old hotels and learning routes to access areas behind locked doors is always good for a laugh too.

I'm a full stack developer working on a needlessly complex webapp. Despite being tech illiterate, my boss often demands things done in a particular way. I try my best to explain why we shouldn't do things this way but he cuts me off mid sentence to say something nonsensical or to get pissed off that I'm contradicting him.

After putting so much hard work into this for the past two years, I would like to give it a fighting chance of working but I don't really know what to do in these kinds of situations.

Self taught lad over here

Got hired for remote work, just showed RH my projects and they thought they were cool

Making 12k per year as a junior kek

But as a thirdworlder I'm basically a millionaire for my age

what certifications do I need to be a sysadmin?

quit

nice man, you trying to move or are you gonna stay there?

It pays well and it's so close to my home I could throw a rock and hit it from my bedroom window. I don't really want to.

Staying here.

The plan is to find another of the last few white people in this shithole, breeding a bunch of babys and then going somewhere else.

My job is so comfy. I can imagine when I become higher than junior the hours will probably become stricter though.

What should I learn in Python? I have a good understanding on it but I want to know from someone who has worked before using python, pls and Thanku bros

Attached: 863FA363-628E-4426-8D50-718D924F0559.jpg (750x758, 85.23K)

Look for a remote job that pays better and then quit once you get it

What projects did you show?

god I'm becoming depressed with this enterprise webshit
I really should think about steering the career some other way but clueless on to what

Some decently complex malware/viruses I made in low level languages, some websites I made, and other miscelaneous stuff.

Very nice and good luck

I am in a somewhat similar boat. I am not a developer but i worry i am going down a path from which i will never be able to branch out, or achieve and greatness (whatever that means). I feel like i am getting too specialized somehow

So what are you?

Thanks ser, very good luck to you as well.

Attached: awesomefrog.jpg (460x368, 24K)

I am an analyst who works on nuclear stuff. It’s obviously super specialized. I have no idea how i could get a career doing anything else from something like this. The project deadlines and classification make it very hard to cite any projects or products i deliver to anyone outside of the little bubble i live in.