Anyone here have luck quiting alcohol long term? 3 weeks off the drink today...

Anyone here have luck quiting alcohol long term? 3 weeks off the drink today. Trying to at least go 3 months without drinking and possibly quit forever. I have an allen car book, not doing aa because i dont believe in sky daddy

Attached: male-drink-sad-cheerless-upset-man-sitting-home-drinking-alcohol-thinking-his-life-sad-upset-man-drinking-100114934.jpg (800x534, 43.81K)

I'm struggling with weed myself.

3 weeks is a lot (but not enough!)

Proud of you man (but don't fall into the trap of using positive feedback to convince yourself you've "been good" and "have earned one" because you fucking haven't)

No. Just turned 28 and been drinking heavy since 18. Started drinking when i was 12. Longest ive gone is 2 weeks a couple years ago when i couldnt drink because of a tooth infection. Shit sucks, i think i have an ulcer or something right now always sharp pain in my abdomen

have a cold, foamy tall one on me, boys.

Attached: 8430_Perfect-drink-for-a-party-delicious-beer.jpg (688x508, 42.75K)

See a fucking doctor

I'm also super addicted to weed. But its not killing me as fast as alc so its lower on my list

4 months and 3 weeks sober here. I was fucked on alcohol for like 5 years, I'd drink till black out, or ambulance picks me up and takes me to hospital(this happened many times), puked blood at one point and was downing a bottle of whiskey/rum a night for most nights. It was hectic, I'd even go to the bottle shop in the morning waiting for it to open and drink as I walk back home. In October I decided no more fuck this poison and stopped(after one more night to get hammered), even now I find it miraculous that I'm still abstaining from my past usage. You need to do this and defeat your demon, alcohol is destructive, one of the worst drugs once addicted even up there with heroin. Just reflect and ask yourself is it worth destroying my life for this buzz? It's deceptive making you yearn for it and hoping it will erase your worries even if only temporarily but in reality it's a depressant. I'm personally aiming for a year of sobriety but I'll most likely give it up for life, naltrexone helps too. Good luck, this battle of addiction needs your armour it will tempt you but stay on the right path of thought and you'll do fine

Thanks for thr advice. Good job turning your life around, keep or up

Started drinking I'n University. Zero issues functioning as I didn't require it daily (or in the morning).
Had some opportunities to drink 24/7 at times and that was the slippery slope. Waking up at 7am with a fresh bottle, with a whole day of playing video games and no one to stop me.
Snapped out of it because I'm a fitness nut.
I'd go2+ days in a row drinking hard alone at home. It was awesome because I could control it.
Then I couldn't.
I would panic if I had to detox (if I didn't plan my shit out). Eventually I'd do 4+ days in a row, and a 26oz a day (within a 24 hr period).

As soon as you quit cold turkey on that the health problems are horrifying. ER visits. A week after I'd be fine and no one could tell. So I'd do it again thinking that I'll just stop slower and not abruptly. (Usually stopping abruptly means having to go back to work or to an important family get together).

I'd still drink alone. I crave it when I'm not drinking because I've attached so many positive belief systems to it.
(Like the feeling after the 4th shot and you have a 2 hr game marathon, or I'm out at the beach getting sun and enjoying myself).

I learned my limits ONLY when I analyzed my believe system around it. AA doesn't work for me. Quitting for life doesn't work for me.
What works is understand that I enjoy it. So there is a fine line between accepting that and drinking heavily.

Learn to master the craving. It's a belief system. Learn to balance that belief system and seperate it. That's true balance.
It sounds crazy, but I drank more than any user here. A 40oz a day for 2 weeks. After the detox effects, I drank again. It's about a belief system.
My solution was to admit that I don't need to drink to be happy. But I'm also unable mentally to go sober for the rest of my life. That's the new belief system. When I locked that in, I could play games alone without booze and love it. And also extra appreciate that shot, or even a few beers while camping. Adapt your belief system

Attached: 62074.jpg (640x357, 23.42K)

I have not yet but I am one week sober today. Im not sure if im an alcoholic or not. I know I just dribk way too fucking much when I do drink.

I want to do Delta 8 gummies but I get drug tested at work. I know I drink because I'm bored. I decided to go work out or walk instead. I give myself a reward system. I get 20 bucks a day, each day I remain sober. So, I spend that money on something I like to reward myself, instead of alcohol.

Attached: Man in the Mirror.jpg (608x640, 45.46K)

Tl;dr
Good luck Any Forumsbrothers. My best advice is to adapt your belief system around it. If you go too hard in one direction (over drinking or staying sober), it'll slip. Find the balance for yourself and you can enjoy life without losing everything and your life. Even at your worst, remember; you drank because you have a believe system around multiple things.bseperate them and then build them back correctly.
And if building them back means that it's okay to have drinks with friends and family, don't exclude yourself. In my case I'd take the company of great friends over drinking. So adding in alcohol makes it better.
Seperate them both, and the see what sticks out as the wrong combination.

Im not reading this fucking shit.

I can take it or leave it, a buddy of mine had to wind up in rehab the hard way after hitting rock bottom. It totally depends on the person.

I drank heavily for a few years, haven't had a drink in over two years. I tried and failed more times than I would like, did rehab (didn't work for me), moved out of state to start in a new environment, did the AA meetings - which didn't help much, started drinking again and finally decided that it wasn't worth it to keep wrecking everything in my life.
I know AA works for some, it didn't for me, but I know that when they talk about a "higher power", it doesn't have to be God/Jesus/Vishnu. Your "higher power" can be anything, there were people at the meetings that used the sun, water, even paper. Not trying to push AA as the answer, everyone finds their own way out. Your rock bottom is when you decide to stop digging,
I found that as long as I don't start, I'm good. I can be around people that drink, I can buy alcohol for my wife and not be tempted. Some days are good and some are bad, I almost broke down the other day and bought myself a small bottle, I've been having some pain issues lately and for a brief moment thought that I could handle it, that I could just drink a little to relieve pain, but I didn't because I knew if I started, I wouldn't stop. There are a lot of cliches with AA, and I know that I have used some here, but they are cliches for a reason - at least some of them - but one I have found to be true for me is that "one drink is too many, 1,000 is not enough".
It's a battle, and if you don't fight for yourself then you are going to lose, fast and hard.
Just remember that anyone can, and most likely will, slip up. Don't give up if you really want to get sober.

>I found that as long as I don't start, I'm good.

Same with me man. I cant just have one beer or even a sip. Ill say fuck it. Its better to just avoid it.

What is hard for me is people judge you for not drinking, as if I'm better than them or something. It kind of ruins sociability a bit, but, hey, if they cant respect my life choices, they dont need to be in my life, right?

>adapt your belief system around it.
Sorry but doesn't work for full blown alcoholics, it's like we're allergic to it. You're not in severe alcoholism if you can still drink in moderation, I've met a lot of people who thought they could do that and be fine but it had terrible results. Sure they could last a few weeks in moderation but surely enough its got its grip on you again. Changing your belief system is just you lying to yourself to cover up the fact that you're still addicted
First step is admitting you have a problem, if you feel you need to reward yourself for not drinking then somethings wrong
Yeah you have your fuck ups before the final stretch of sobriety when you finally give up the grog, don't get me wrong the temptation is always there and reflection is the only way to resist the urge. AA is ok but I don't go I feel fine at the moment and if I need to reach out to someone I can, Good for you on your course of abstinence

I can't say that I have the same issue. I don't have any friends. Pretty sure the only person who I could call a friend is well and done with me since I left the state (I have since moved back). I'm a stay at home dad right now, so I don't have any opportunities to make new ones. Not going to derail the thread with that though.
Anyone I do interact with is understanding, since they are all family. I'm sorry that you have to experience that, but you are absolutely right - if they can't support you trying to stay alive, you don't need them.

I used to drink a lot. I stopped because I got bored and I hated being emotional. It made things hurt a lot more than they should.

>Its better to just avoid it.
100%
>What is hard for me is people judge you for not drinking, as if I'm better than them or something
I find this part funny, they'll call you a pussy or what not for not drinking but you tell them if this was when I was at my peak of drinking you'd be hospitalized before the nights done. Don't associate with those who encourage your addiction, it's not worth the risk just to socially be able to fit in

>AA is ok but I don't go I feel fine at the moment and if I need to reach out to someone I can

Like I said, it's not for everyone. I don't remember the statistics (I want to say something under 10%), but you have less of a chance of doing more damage with AA than without. No solution works for everyone, you just have to find something that works for you.

I'm on day 3 of not drinking after about 4 years of drinking every night. I'd only drink between about 9-11pm and had on average probably 5 to 6 standard drinks. Stopped after getting way too fucked up the other day. Read Allen Carrs quit drinking without willpower in one sitting and it made a decent amount of sense even if his writing style is a bit weird. I would only drink at night, so getting through that window isn't the worst for me. I think it's more of a nightly habit than anything else so I'm hoping that goes away pretty easily. I still find myself struggling a bit to kill the big monster as Allen Carr says it, but I think that's also because I have a small fear of success, as my girlfriend and I liked to have crazy drunk sex occasionally, and I think that's probably the only thing that's keeping that big monster alive for me. I don't have any plans to drink anymore though. The book seemed to help a lot