State of Linux audio and Windows VST emulation?

Would like to go back to Linux but I refuse to dual boot/VM, it's just an unproductive waste of time to wait for reboots every time I want to use a specific program. Haven't touched it in ~2 years, has Windows VST emulation improved? I use Bitwig which thankfully works fine on Linux, but a lot of my VSTs (e.g. NeuralDSP, Valhalla, Kontakt) either didn't work at all or worked very finnicky. Anyone have experience in this that could comment on it?
Also, has anyone looked into trying to get Mac plugins to work? Maybe that's an avenue that could be looked into in the future.

Attached: Qtractor-min.png (800x640, 86.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd_vZJwGNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just get a shitty old cheap mac and use that
you're doing everything BUT making music
if you just enjoy making things hard for yourself OK. just be honest with yourself about it
t. former wannabe music maker who did the same kind of shit you're doing to zero effect

>just get a shitty old cheap mac and use that
>just start sucking dick and become a faggot

the point is to spend as little time possible fucking around with everything unrelated to actually making sound
there's a reason technically handicapped people use macs and can actually produce albums, vs. the geniuses around here who will spend years tweaking their setup only to produce a grand total of 3.2 minutes of actual music

Thanks, but at that point I'm fine just staying on Windows. I had moderate success with Wine and VSTs a while back so seeing the success of Proton for games, was just wondering if any similar breakthroughs have happened for audio. And Mac VSTs I'm assuming are closer in architecture to Linux than Windows ones so maybe there's an avenue there for the future.
Linux doesn't make it that hard, it's just the first week of initial setup for me and it's mostly smooth sailing from there. Everything else for me is way better in Linux over Windows and Windows 11 is garbage. Can't even drag and drop into the taskbar anymore. But Mac is also horrible, I use it for my software dev 9-5.

>there's a reason technically handicapped people use macs and can actually produce albums
If I'm not technically handicapped, I fail to see what is stopping me from installing Bitwig on GNU/Linux.

It's not the Mac making them make music, I'll tell you that much. It's just correlation, most artfags are into MacBooks for the aesthetic and shit.

just use yabridge if you're freetard gentoo user, it's the best solution available as for today, you won't get any better.

I agree, but it's not getting in their way, either
technically proficient people get into a mindset of total technical perfection which inhibits their ability to create things, as a general rule
measure the amount of time you spend dicking around with configurations vs. the minutes of music produced and that will tell you if you're getting sidetracked

>doesn't support voicemeeter
Into the trash It goes

Last time I used linvst, happy to know there's another option now.

VSTs are a meme. Standard linux "plugins" (e.g. x42 or calf + any of the many libre/free soft synths) are good enough. You don't need more. Period. This is a fact.

dont know about vst emulation
we use cardinal now
much better than any windows shit
youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd_vZJwGNQ

Nahh, guitar plugins that are good are far and few in-between. I'd rather shell out 1k on good guitar hardware and mic it in than use the native Linux ones.

>VST
if you aren't using hardware, you aren't making music.

Give me a break, digital combo amps are even worse, and I don't have the ears to be blasting my JCM loud enough to get a good tone out of it. I'm recording to digital at the end of the day so all the (((magic))) will be gone regardless, and with modern plugins it sounds indistinguishable.

This

Yeah you're mostly right, but that's more about mindset rather than development environment. Not that they're unrelated but not as exclusive as you make it sound.

U-He & Bitwig Studio are trying to get a bunch of people onboard with a more open plugin standard called "CLAP". I'm thinking that, given Bitwig's linux support, CLAP will probably also be supported on that platform.

It already is.

>I'd rather shell out 1k on good guitar hardware and mic it
Indeed, that is what you should do. Playing guitar through software amp sims is like jerking off to hentai - nobody sane does it.

I have no respect for people guitarists with computers. Fact.