Is fish shell a meme? Anyone who does actual work use this thing?

Is fish shell a meme? Anyone who does actual work use this thing?

Attached: 8432740823.png (1550x1516, 423.75K)

1: yes
2: no

I use fish shell and I'm a NEET

Been using it for months and works great, feels sturdy
Only issue i've had is with Dolphin's integrated terminal, sometimes I have to restart it, but not often
Oh and sometimes you're forced to "quote" command arguments or it will crap out
Next big meme is going to be nushell likely, but for now I fish

Nobody ever complains about fish shell, that means nobody actually uses it.

Also it's not POSIX, even as a fallback setting, so fuck off.

No, it used to be buggy few years ago with shit like unicode and autocompletion but recent versions are very polished.
And for work I still use standard BASH since FISH is not POSIX compliant.

Attached: Minority.Report.2002.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG-00:20:58.164-0016.jpg (1920x800, 298.36K)

What do you mean by not posix compliant?
If you mean running scripts you could just shebang bash

Why is it recommended as a replacement for bash when it can't even run standard posix scripts?
Nobody is writing fish scripts.

It is a fast and pre-configured INTERACTIVE shell. It's basically for retards too dumb to configure zsh. There are some serious retards out there like distrotube who use it as their login shell, but as an interactive shell I suppose it is fun to play around with. Even then though, I would much rather use a posix compliant shell

Because it has a more readable syntax. But it should be only used as a terminal runtime replacement not as your default login shell because it will break your system.

Attached: Minority.Report.2002.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG-01:31:52.129-0045.jpg (1920x800, 247.44K)

I don't use the shell for scripts, the script interpreter could be whatever, it's like using python

I understand using powershell on windows but why would anyone use anything other than bash on *nix?

>not as your default login shell because it will break your system
It has happened to you?

>Anyone who does actual work use this thing?
nobody here can write an if/then/else statement in bash, nor does anyone here get paid write scripts.

Fish is great for almost everything a normie could need.

Because bash feels barebones after you use more featureful shells

The changes between it and bash are minimal and it does autocomplete for free
I don't see why anybody wouldn't use it or atleast zsh

To spawn quick stuff with my wm I use Dash, because it's very fast/minimal

>first suggestion on youtube right now

Attached: fishsugg.jpg (392x359, 35.74K)

Webfag here
The only time I have any issues with fish is when using nvm (webfag tool). Other than that, it runs pretty smooth, though I like zsh's autocompletion/hinting better

>though I like zsh's autocompletion/hinting better
What does it do differently?

you just type cd fo for example and it automatically shows cd folder before you press enter. I mean you can press tab on regular bash but these shells just do it better. Its not like you can't live without them but they're nice.

Why is zsh's better than fish in that regard?

Well bash doesn't change bash scripting, fish changes a few minor things. But the difference is not that much.

zhs doesn't change bash scripting*

I hate shells that do too much and use rainbow puke autocomplete that won't STOP FLUTTERING AROUND as I type, it's incredibly distracting, and can you imagine how much latency it adds to the act of typing?
If I want it to autocomplete, I will type TAB, a zsh-style menu of autocomplete choices you can tab through is fine, but not when it outlines what it thinks you want in a darker color in the background.

Well good thing fish doesn't do too much at all then