Why do they insist on making actively cooled UMPCs and handheld computers in 2022?

Why do they insist on making actively cooled UMPCs and handheld computers in 2022?
UMPCs today are all gimped garbage hotboxes with terrible battery life and active cooling because their CPU has a TDP that's inappropriate for the application it's in?

These chuwi 6" minibooks all have sub-4 hour battery life with a 4200mAh battery and cooling fans that SCREAM if you try to multitask, all because they come outfitted with 10W Pentium Silver cpus and not some passively cooled, 5W chips like celeron N4020.

They literally make low end 11" chromebooks with passively cooled Celeron N4020s that can achieve over 12 hours of battery life from a 4400mAh battery while running ChromeOS or any linux distro and they perform fine for daily internet browsing tasks and youtube videos, I don't understand why they can't just make those but in a smaller 6 inch form factor without making it a hotbox.

Attached: maxresdefault (14).jpg (1280x720, 111.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m3_7y30-657-vs-intel_celeron_n4020-1080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Why do they insist on making actively cooled UMPCs and handheld computers in 2022?
Because 5w just isn't enough for any real work even now

What work would you need to do on a computer this small that would be too slow on a 5W?

So you want something for daily internet browsing tasks and youtube videos, in a six inch form factor, passively cooled, with good battery life?

My friend have I got a deal for you. You can buy something exactly like this called a "smartphone".

They were great for traveling but even if I wanted to travel now and be exposed to COVID it'd cost me unironically 4x more in gas, taxes, fees, inflation, airfare, eating out, lodging, and activities in the destination.

not as nice desu. part of the reason i kinda want a pinephone; a small keyboard is nice for occasionally using termux to ssh into my server for a quick fix. touchscreen keyboards suck ass and bluetooth cell phone keyboards are generally chinesium trash. in a perfect world they'd have a decent chiclet keyboard for a phone or umpc with a 40% layout, but normies don't like change or small PCs, so it'll never happen.

Attached: solder.png (741x593, 307.21K)

there is not a single you would need to do on such a limited form factor that cannot be done on your phone or be put on hold until you have access to a proper PC.

Umpcs are literally (literally) useless. What are you going to do on a form factor that small

ITT user is too retarded to downclock or undervolt
>t.gpd micro pc fag
literally downclock you sperg my micropc also chunk it's battery if I run it at full blast full clock, I just turn off turbo boost until I really need it, which is luckily never

>running ChromeOS

Genuinely might be the only OS that's a worse niggercattle feedlot than windows.

Attached: 1655184719272.gif (498x278, 1.2M)

>UMPCs today are all gimped garbage hotboxes with terrible battery life and active cooling because their CPU has a TDP that's inappropriate for the application it's in?

How to spot a zoomer.
UMPCs today are usable for everything you'd do with a laptop or desktop, the performance floor is so high on everything, even low wattage, that you can easily get by doing 99% of shit on them.

Now compare to UMPCs when the meme started, like 15 years ago.
Vaio UX for example, has a fan, runs hot, only single core when dual core was already a thing, only 512MB of RAM when 2GB was standard even in laptops, battery life was barely two hours.

I really hate these UMPC shitposting threads made by people/zoomers who have no idea about them.
Just as bad as the "where did netbooks go" threads, instead of taking 5 minutes to google.

Not to mention price, you can get a decent one for less than a shit one costed 15 years ago.

Attached: 1624365710804.jpg (1280x960, 172.62K)

>>They literally make low end 11" chromebooks with passively cooled Celeron N4020s that can achieve over 12 hours of battery life from a 4400mAh battery
>bigger thing has more space for passive cooling and bigger battery
Wow

>These chuwi 6" minibooks
Don't buy cheap shit?

cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m3_7y30-657-vs-intel_celeron_n4020-1080
Oh wow again, the Celeron is literally a piece of shit, a 6W CPU but beaten this bad by a 7W one.

None of this is true

I used to find these cool but realized they are useless. They are too small for any real work, so a smartphone will get the job done. And it really isn't that hard to carry a normal laptop in a bag

arnt chrome books just netbooks, since the problem was they couldnt get a os (windows basically) to not run like shit, then google goes out to make a os that can run on shit hardware, its kind of a step below a netbook in some ways

Just gimp the processor yourself it you like that.
Browse the interwebs.

I literally set the CPU to 5w on mine in the bios, never turn on the fan and can do multitasking like picrel without any issues.

Attached: comfy_micro_pc.jpg (2560x1440, 1.7M)

Ugh its the "I filter my pics" dude

So what's a good small computer that runs a desktop OS? I want something I can use while I'm out but don't want to lug around a full size laptop.

There isn't one.

What about those GPD devices?

x230