R.I.P. The Core2Duo line finally has no purpose

Do the Core2Duo's hold any value at all? They were long since surpassed by the i3's, and the cost AMD CPU's.

Attached: 15782373.jpg (500x500, 68.88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html#Ubuntu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't care, not upgrading from my P8600

This, except I have a P8700

user.... the last core2dou is back in 2010. Its almost 2023 already

well you gotta ask if there is something this CPU is absolutely incapable of doing?

like, wouldnt work at all, which is not the same as works, but is so slow, you would rather use something else

My Pentium Dual-core E5300 is still amazing. It is free of all the Jewry of modern big tech. No Intel management engine. No uefi. Literally just never stops processing.
Although it doesn't hold any monetary value whatsoever, it's okay for a lot of tasks you can imagine for a secondary machine.
Wolfdale, 40nm process, 65Watts.

>user.... the last core2dou is back in 2010. Its almost 2023 already

I realise they are quite old now. But people still use them in 2022, and I still come across a lot of old C2D's that show up in the refurbished market. I just ask myself, why would anyone want one of these at all? When there are 4 or 5 generations of i3's, i5's and i7's that you can find for just as cheap.

Not really. $6 on Ebay with unknown mobo cost. And core 2 duos were surpassed by Celerons just this year on paper, maybe earlier in real world.

For one, they are the last Intel generation where you can completely remove the code that runs on the ME from the BIOS ROM without the system shutting down after 30 minutes.

no, I will not "Google it"
no, I will not disable my adblocker
no, I will not use social media
no, I will not buy backdoored CPUs
no, I will not eat the bugs

Attached: 1438307993030.jpg (268x265, 42.33K)

8 replies in, what oh what has become of Any Forums...

Attached: 1646945457981.jpg (400x400, 25.93K)

>My Pentium Dual-core E5300 is still amazing. It is free of all the Jewry of modern big tech. No Intel management engine. No uefi. Literally just never stops processing.
>Although it doesn't hold any monetary value whatsoever, it's okay for a lot of tasks you can imagine for a secondary machine.
>Wolfdale, 40nm process, 65Watts.

I'm not criticising anyone for still using an old C2D, that's great. I was mostly talking the monetary value of them these days. I have an old i5 2500k that I still put into use regularly, and it never gives me any problems. This is a CPU that is sold for $11 - $15 on Ebay. I have it overclocked to 3.7GHz with a $25.00 6 heat pipe snowman cooler. The machine is still used for browsing the web, random tasks, emulation/ some steam gaming. I was asking if there was any value in buying a machine with a CD2 these days (in the second hand/ refurbished market).

Don't care, still not using modern globohomo CPUs.

Attached: 1654300152482.png (579x412, 45.46K)

Usually older CPU gens have their motherboards die before the CPU does, causing a glut of 2nd hand CPUs with no matching mobo to pair with it.

That's why those CPUs are $11 ea

>no Linux-Libre

You don't need it, nonfree firmware on Debian and Ubuntu systems is in a separate package called linux-firmware. The kernel is libre by default.

That is true for Debian, but Ubuntu's kernel contains binary blobs: gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html#Ubuntu

That page is outdated, their kernel no longer has binary blobs, they are now in the linux-firmware package, same as Debian.

Attached: cpu-z gpu-z3.png (1920x1440, 1.56M)

Install Gentoo

>Usually older CPU gens have their motherboards die before the CPU does, causing a glut of 2nd hand CPUs with no matching mobo to pair with it.
>That's why those CPUs are $11 ea

The second gen i-CPU's are supported on 3rd gen motherboards too. But then again, going with a second gen i5 over a third gen... Also lots of old pre-built's out there with 2nd gen i3's that could be upgraded to an i5.