/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ - Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualisation. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavour of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, Ampache/Navidrome to replace Spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/
Old thread

Attached: 1637237926352.png (1600x900, 1.71M)

Would you hire a guy like this to work in a data-center? I would.

don't think his racking skills are too good.

bump

Wonder how hot that attic gets. Probably not the best place for a computer.

hsg is dead today
just use the most efficient method.

oh cool, I bumped the wrong post, was meant for

everything seems to be pretty dead

The first two are easy to do, tt-rss and fiche
The last three are what nextcloud is all about and why I use it

You don't need a home server.

Attached: 1654936471178.jpg (990x1200, 250.59K)

>rss
I use FreshRSS
>pastebin
tried a few but don't like any of them, I have a page on my wiki for pasting stuff
>file sharing
NFS/SAMBA
>calendar
I have baikal setup for this but don't really use it, would probably use the nextcloud calendar more desu.
I don't like how nextcloud seems to do everything but I'm considering it to give friends/family an alternative to google drive.

How did you deploy it? The tar ball install looks like a huge pain. I'm currently leaning towards the AIO docker image.
I guess I'll give it a go and see how I like it. Didn't have a home server until now so there's no data to migrate or anything and trying a couple different options should be relatively painless.

I use the snap now. I did it by hand before but decided I didn't want to do the maintenance myself. The snap auto updates and I use a nginx reverse proxy for https. Set up a snap export script to back it up daily and forget about it.

I think Nextcloud is a bloated piece of junk sometimes, but it's as good as it gets sadly. Sometimes it itches me to seek other alternatives, but there was a smaller project that I was following up until a month ago where the developer patched a pretty big security hole and didn't give a heads up to users a bit earlier. I understand the motivation, wanting to patch shit asap, but fun thing about that patch was that it explained exactly how to hit instances that weren't updated yet. NC devs would probably send a message to users first to recommend updating ASAP when patch is out in a day or so.
Same as the other user though, I'd use something else for RSS and pastebin, but I'd keep NC for web file access and Collabora (haven't found anything else that has it integrated, aside from maybe owncloud but it's abandonware a bit). Radicale could be a good smol and cute tool just for CalDAV, but I didn't bother since NC handles it just fine.
I remember spending an entire evening thinking about a different one-tool-for-one-job stack, but I ended up sticking with NC, mostly due to Collabora (which fwiw I still haven't managed to run, since it really doesn't want to run as the same user as NC, and I like overriding Docker users to my own). Maybe I'll contribute code to fix the annoyances in it instead.
>I'm considering it to give friends/family an alternative to google drive.
Yeah, it's close. UI wise FileRun is closer, I actually liked that it had more features, but it's proprietary and free license is up to 3 users. I have 2 users on my Nextcloud, but I didn't like that.
>How did you deploy it?
I use nextcloud:24 (Apache and PHP inside) with separate containers for database and Redis. Should migrate to PHP-only image at some point.
>I guess I'll give it a go and see how I like it. Didn't have a home server until now so there's no data to migrate or anything and trying a couple different options should be relatively painless.
Good call.

How often do you run backups? I run them every 24h, but am thinking about increasing the frequency, every 3 or 6 hours. It would pain me less if I lost data added across all services in the last 3 hours, rather than added during entire previous day.

daily backups with 14 day retention, keep weekly rollups for a month, monthly for 6 months and yearly for 3 years.
i could loose a few days without much headache, depends entirely on what you feel you need.

I do. my file server has 60tb+ of bluray rips and 4k jav downloads. It is proxmox with a truenas vm with my hbm passed-through.

stop replying to bait.

Feel like laughing. (hey either that or just fucking start tossing shit) Bought some used HP servers few years ago. Nothing special form factor wise just tower and micro tower. Fast forward to this year; decide to buy a used tower custom built server from e-bay. Supermicro board,xeon cpu, ecc ram, good bones in a nutshell. I added a few extra case fans for cooling, a few drives,etc. Get it all assembled. Install freenas on a usb stick and away I go. Nice and easy right.. Fucking wrong. System reboots constantly.. Meanwhile those HP tower servers are running like a champ. WTF.. I should've just bought another HP tower and been done with the shit.

I know but I just like it being widely know that a reliable NAS is super useful.

So at this point I figure the PSU is fucked or overloaded. Got a choice to make; buy a new PSU and hope to hell that solves the issue and risk wasting more money if it doesn't. Or just toss the whole shit show and buy a damn used HP tower like I should've done in the first place. Yes I'd have wasted some money but least I'd know that HP tower would just work and not turn into a money pit.

good luck troubleshooting user.