/hsg/ - Home Server General

Don't forget to tip your server edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualisation. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavour of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache/Navidrome to replace spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks - shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

Previous

Attached: bnmamz95cps21.jpg (1137x640, 88.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aztTf2gI55k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

previous

>tips server

just so we're clear, zfs does not pool, you have to set a raid level. so in your case it's perfectly possible to set up a single drive and then introduce the second drive as a mirror (raid1), is this what you want to accomplish?

I think I'm just going to move family's photos to my server, and keep their server for backups only.
>faster upload for sharing photos
>faster CPU for PhotoPrism doing whatever magic ML thing to recognize faces at ingest time
>ZFS vs NTFS
It's kind of weird to use a server for storing photos instead of their main PC, but I think this would be better.

at least use snapraid or something on ntfs since it can not detect bitrot

what's with everyone buying seagate exos drives for their home NAS lately? (i.e. youtubers, home lab communities, etc) I thought everyone unanimously doesn't trust seagate

to be fair that was a good couple of years ago that seagate was universally dogshit. nowadays they are very good apart from the odd bad batch but everyone has those

Yeah, but it was like that for the past decade and they like 50% care, 50% not care about their photos. I'd rather move it to my ZFS array at this point and hope nothing got bitrot up to this point.
Switching their PC to Linux is a long term plan too, but fuck proprietary software that the parents need sometimes for work. Awful, awful feeling when you want to give them something better but you know it will also make them lose something due to other people forcing them to use proprietary stuff.
>YouTube
sponsorships
>home lab communities
YouTube influence?

the have the worse reputation with an average annual failure rate of like 2% while everyone else keeps it around 1%. so while that matters for data centers spinning hundreds of disks and trying to maximize uptime, it's not that big of a deal for home users where value is more important.
also WD slam dunked their own reputation into the shitter so they don't have the high ground anymore.

Ansible is based, but I have a niche problem I can't sort out.
I have some machines that are mounted as read only, but Ansible creates temporary directories that of course fail to be created on read only systems.
I have commands set up to switch the system from read only to read write and vice versa.
So ideally I would need Ansible to execute the command at the start of ssh connection (before it creates its own temp directories). And then set it back to read only at the end of operations (after it deleted its temp directories).

Is there a way to accomplish this with Ansible Alone?

Attached: ansiblelogo_transparent_web-395395231.png (874x691, 9.25K)

so close to greatness yet gets filtered by simple file permissions

What did WD do?

Just put the command in Ansible, if you need root, just use --no-preserve-root.

Anons, need some help with networking. I have a public site. I have two internet connections. When one fails, the other one will take over. Some sort of link agg setup. Now tell me how do I do DNS with two different public IPs? Both the internet connections have different IPs.

Weren't WD reds SMR instead of CMR?

youtube.com/watch?v=aztTf2gI55k
tldr they sold NAS drives that don't work with NAS software. and still do? haven't touched them in a while.
bit more specifically WD red drives use a new tech (SMR) that shit the bed during large, random writes so rebuilding a degraded RAID can take a week or more instead of hours.

How would I get permission error for a read only file system? It wouldn't write no matter the permissions, the ssh is to root user anyway.
I would, but Ansible makes temp directories before it executes tasks, and if that fails (due to read only filesystem) it never reaches the task with the command

they used to be CMR, only a certain couple of modern ones were SMR and they did indeed get a lot shit for it

Can you create a new user for ansible, that by default has rw permissions where required?

>gets read only permission from a read only filesystem
yup. filtered. fucking change your system then you retard

have proper load balancer, and if not just put out your site at a low TimeToLive. this is not sqt

It has permission to do so just fine, the problem is that Ansible itself creates temporary directories before it does any of the tasks, if it can't make those folders, it won't do the tasks.
I am just wondering if Ansible has the option to execute commands before it sets up those directories and after it deletes them

You can read, no? That Is what I set up, a command that switches the mount from "read only" to "read write" and vice versa. Just wondering if Ansible can execute that command before it tries to set up its directories.

Like I said, a niche problem, If Ansible can't execute commands before it tries to set up its temp directories, then fine I will do so manually.

Thanks, what is sqt?

stupid questions thread