/tjg/ - Tech Jobs General

Workplace stories. Advice on how to progress in your career. Ask and give help on HOW TO GET A JOB. Discuss the technologies you use.
Making fun of NEETs is allowed and encouraged.

Resources:
leetcode.com/problemset/all/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
layoffs.fyi/

Last thread

Attached: 1634527916373.jpg (1280x1440, 200.77K)

how do I get a job with no 4 year degree

Attached: 1654802508956.png (469x469, 175.13K)

>have a 4 year degree in Network admin/general IT
>small background in programming out of necessity of earning my degree
>Graduated with honors
>worked blue collar my entire life
>currently working a warehouse job where I make $65k/year, cash bonuses throughout the year, profit sharing, benefits
>probably take home around $75k a year all said and done
>been looking for IT jobs
>all of them are less than what I make now (expected)
>lack of experience has these companies wanting to pay me like $42k a year with no benefits
>THAT'S THE AVERAGE FOR SOMEONE IN IT WITH NO EXPERIENCE LMAO
I'm so sick of this shit

Attached: 1643670074509.jpg (622x605, 47.83K)

>6 month internship ends in a month
>still no word about getting a full-time position with them
Its over, isn’t it?

Attached: A4E3D1BC-FE5F-4963-BEBC-D4D675070331.jpg (219x230, 4.75K)

>he fell for the internship meme
lmao. Only slaves work for free

Its paid but I do feel retarded. Intern to employee pipeline is apparently always utilized here but I don’t know why they aren’t reaching out to me.

Just wait it out man, it's usually last minutes offers. If in the end you still don't get one don't loose hope and keep grinding and improving your skills. They have value.

What's your schedule like? Do you go back to school after this, or are you done? When I did an internship (back in 2008...), my manager let me know right at the end in August that I did pretty well, and I should expect to hear back. Then, around January of February his manager called me, said they wanted to do an offer, asked for contact info, etc...
So... it's just going to depend on what their process is

You must have a superior you can ask, or co-workers you're friendly with who could refer you to another past intern who went through the process, ask them

I knew someone with the same situation, degree but working a basic job that paid well, and no jobs would be close to his salary. Tbh idk if he still works there or got into tech.
Find companies that hire noobs and train them, look for cybersecurity type positions that are mostly paperwork but have a title that looks good on a resume. Get friendly with sysadmins or programmers or whatever you want to do, ask them to let you know about openings.

hoping i won't lose me job during this recession lads

Attached: 1421376461985.jpg (750x750, 192.8K)

Lol I'm hoping I do lose mine... at least, early enough that the company still has enough cash to do a severance. The market is still pretty hot, and I have savings to go without work if necessary. I'd leave on my own, but I don't want to be seen as a job hopper...

I finally saw an unironic "kindly do the needful" today. It was surreal.

Attached: 1649885330189.jpg (120x117, 2.83K)

I’m out of school. Its actually more of a probation period disguised as an internship, that kind of thing is common here as a loophole out of paying fresh grads on probation full-time rates I guess.

I’ve spoken to other interns and usually the hiring process for them begins ~2 months before the internship contract ends. Everyone on the team likes me and the seniors all say they’re trying to get me onboard. I’m getting despondent because I’m down to a month now with still no clue of what’s going to happen. I’m scared that management isn’t looking for new hires anymore since a lot has changed in the macroeconomy in the last 6 months I’ve been here.

the job I have now pays what I said and also paid for 50% of my tuition. I'm willing to take a pay cut down to around $50k to $55k to get into IT but I refuse to work for wages less than a fucking truck driver makes just so I can work with computers. The point of a degree I was told was to guarantee a decent wage. Anything sub $50k is a fucking insult for a 4 year degree as far as I'm concerned.

Grow a pair and ask.

Is the strengths and weaknesses question a bad sign? Also the correct answer is:
>I'm *terrible* at interviews!

Attached: 1640923668751.jpg (1358x1119, 231.73K)

Any comfy (preferably WFH) tech jobs where you just show up and do next to nothing? I have a computer science degree and I bust my ass for 10 hours a day making glass.

Fuck you. Kill yourself

>be me
>only have 50 something credits but got internship
>working on backend logic in IntelliJ/Java which is what I have the most experience in
this is a fucking dream come true, how do I keep this job indefinitely

No.

Yeah, I had one. I don't know if they're possible to find... you just kind of have to fall into them. They don't start out that way. In my case, i was brought on to migrate a system that did some periodic background processing from one language and platform to another. After I was done and it was working stable (and better than before even).... I didn't have anything to do. I let my managers know, but the customer just wanted to keep paying to have someone work on it full time. Occasionally, there'd be a glitch... but I often went weeks on end without actually doing anything...
It wasn't wfh though.

Nice. I need to find something similar, like a "warm body to fill a seat" job. I have 0 passion for anything and my goal in life is to make it through the week and get a paycheck. In Australia, a country that is famous for slacking off, there are loads of government jobs available for university degree holders. I am pretty good at bullshitting people and dragging a project for as long as possible, so I will check them out. Working in a busy as fuck workplace is hell.

>Nice.
Idk... I ended up leaving it. Just sitting there all day with nothing to do isn't actually all that great. Also, it was just me, I had no teammates or coworkers. I'd get there in the morning, sit at my desk in the back of the building by myself for 8 hours, talk to no one at all, and then go home. I feel like I could do one or the other: either work alone but have stuff to do, or work on a team but have nothing to do... Doing nothing by myself ended up kind of fucking with my head after a while... I did double my salary when I left, so that factored in too