How hard is it to program a SNES game?

How hard is it to program a SNES game?

Attached: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6a777a6a4f51692e706e67.png (642x482, 25.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Myself086/Project-Nested
github.com/Vector35/PwnAdventureZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think they're written C

Pretty fucking hard, there's a shitload of graphics modes that don't seem to have any use by virtue of being completely inferior to other graphics modes.

Honestly just make a Genesis game unless you REALLY need something the SNES offers for some reason, like Mode 7 or the better palette. Genesis has SGDK, which is a VERY good library for writing Genesis games in C. Best used on Windows but a few people have gotten in working on Linux and Mac.

as difficult as the game you're trying to make. want to build an atari 2600 on a snes? cake walk.

Easy to learn, hard to master.

probably these, making a simple nes-tier game would probably not be difficult, but making a AAA snes game will require a bunch of skills and good knowledge of the system's limitations and quirks

assembly.

On an actual SNES? HARD! It would be much easier to make a SNES-like game on PC or phone.

doubt it, probably machine lang

C was rarely used for that generation

just write a NES game and use Project Nested to generate a SNES rom
github.com/Myself086/Project-Nested

really?
Sega genesis games were kind off shitty compared to the super nintendo except for sonic. I'd figure if they were easier to make they should have been better.

Dunno about SNES but there's an open source NES game if you want to get an idea of the code
github.com/Vector35/PwnAdventureZ

pokemon red and blue were 512kb
A single letter character is 1 byte
How the heck did they do it?

Attached: hqdefault (4).jpg (480x360, 42.56K)

programmers were of a different breed then

pokemon is a very simple game

I'm tired of people having this stupid perception that games used to be harder to program because there were more limitations
The simplicity of things made things easier not harder, it's ten times harder to program a game today

If pokemon is a simple game whats a complex game?

World of Warcraft

nethack

I really want a game console with dead simple graphics rendering like the consoles before the ps3

The tight coupling of software and hardware made it faster and easier to program

That's actually an interesting question.
Ignoring graphics, what is the largest game?

Some sort of flight sim or maybe a city builder?

Thst screenshot is NES, not SNES, you fucking zoomster.

Attached: 1580892013334.gif (326x281, 170.84K)

>Some sort of flight sim or maybe a city builder?
Not even close
an MMORPG or some other big online game

How my C string implementation is, I handle words like tokens, which I store in a dictionary. I guess they use that in the game. When a character talks, every word can actually be a reference to the word in the dictionary. Assume a 16 bit dictionary, a 15 word long saying is now only 30 bytes, if it were encoded as characters it would probably be 60 or more. In fact it would be trivial to expand that out and find common word patterns and put those in the dictionary. Easy compression

you're so smart :)

I cant think of a harder programming task than making a modern game engine from scratch.
Gtards talk about making a game from scratch as if it were equivalent to using html+css vs wordpress or something.
Still pokemon red was made in assembly. Imagine just push and mov bytes and making a whole game that way. But yeah my main question is how did they make it so small. Hell a pixel is one byte.

They're both done in assembly on a 65c or 6800 chips etc. You don't use C and it wasn't really until ps2 dreamcast era that console games used C.Maybe some custom stuff for psx

making simple stuff in assembly is simple
as for how they make it so small, an assembly op for Gameboy is probably only a single byte. A pixel certainly isn't one byte, Gameboy only had four colors, it's 2 bits