Hosts based adblock vs browser extension

Which one is better? Does using both make any sense? From what I understand hosts based adblock is very limited since it can't block e.g. nasty first-party js. So I'm leaning towards just using Fennec with uBlock Origin

Attached: adaway.png (512x512, 12.63K)

Host based blocking can't block CNAME-cloaked resources or make use of scriptlets to mitigate breakage/more advanced types of ad. uBlock Origin is still king

>CNAME-cloaked resources
How does this thing work?

The webmaster creates an alias on his domain server, for example he would create abiz.foodblog.com which has a canonical name srv1.adsbiz.com

On the website, the javascript is on abiz.foodblog.com which is not blocked, but it will be resolved to srv1.adsbiz.com

Attached: CNAME-EN.png (1200x544, 123.35K)

I think the trick is that the domain resolver follows to the advertiser domain, the browser doesn't see this.

The ad server will respond to requests for the original domain.

If you want hosts based blocking use a DNS provider like AdGuard which has tons of lists already built in and no overhead, using a hosts file is very resource intensive on your machine and always needing to be updated, whereas DNS has no overhead and works across your entire network. Use uBO when possible on top of that.

>but it works across your entire network!
Something that contacts malicious ad servers and can't be configured to not do so doesn't belong in your house.

>using a hosts file is very resource intensive on your machine
This depends on implementation. If it linearly searches hosts file every time then yes but if it's smart it may as well build data structure from it for lookup

hosts adblock is useless against the new techniques used by YouTube.

Relatively lightweight hosts file or DNS-based blocking + in-app / in-browser filtering for the rest. Best of both worlds.

>using a hosts file is very resource intensive on your machine
On Windows, sure. On every other OS, it's not resource-intensive at all.

wtf are you even talking about?

hosts file are shit, they don't even block subdomains unless you specify them individually

true but most people are using windows

There is no reason not to use both
Block early, block often

>>wtf are you even talking about?
if you have to use DNS filters to stop it from doing bad things then you shouldn't have it in your house. e.g. smart TVs

>From what I understand hosts based adblock is very limited since it can't block e.g. nasty first-party js.
only if you have a simple relay, a proper adblocker would read the file, remove the the offending tags and pass that new file to the client, don't know anything that does it, but it should be fairly easy to create one, i made something similar some time ago

oh yeah well I agree with that, I was just making a point for the people who do have (((smart))) devices that it does help the entire network

The hosts based blocking just returns 0.0.0.0 for blocked domains

>most people are using windows
not on Any Forums

My Pi-Hole does enough for me. But I don't have a "smart" TV or go to risky websites.

yeah, thats the relay type im talking about, it doesn't even work with the html file, just the connection

Also on Any Forums

Microsoft jeet shills don't count nigger.