So, have we reached a consensus? Is tiling a meme?

So, have we reached a consensus? Is tiling a meme?

Attached: tiling_windows_dwm-spiral.png (1280x800, 105.2K)

Yes.

Tiling was designed by extremely inflexible routine-driven autists who prefer text based everything with vi keybinds for themselves. If that’s you, great.

>FIREFOX ALWAYS GOES ON TAG 4! ALWAYS!!!!

Nothing wrong with tiling.
I use fancywm and never turn it off.
But yeah i3 and dwm is autistic cause it uses up the whole screen.

Only if you use meme layouts.

They always were a meme
Tiling window managers are only good for three things: reddit screenshots, IRC, and fullscreen terminals

>Hold strong opinions about strawmen
>reddit spacing
cringe

I don't care. Works for me.

>TAG 4
That's just like pinned icons on windows' task bar. Win+4 makes it easy to jump back. Same deal.

If you install awesomewm, you need to spend hours customizing it because it doesn't come with sensible defaults.
It also doesn't work with cinnamon on linux mint.
So yes, a meme for autists, never designed to become popular or be useful.

hmm idk, i like tiling. it does what it needs to do and that's it, and I don't have to worry about tranny devs removing features or changing things on me like the gnomefags. the thing you gotta realize is that the meme layouts are only for reddit screenshots. i just use the master/stack layout, with 3 windows at a time at most, but usually just with 1. it's very comfy

>if you uninstall all the features yourself and only use a meme minimalist WM then you don't have to worry about devs removing features
Any Forums never changes

>got filtered by a shallow learning curve
Kind of pathetic, to be honest

>filtered
I have better things to do than ricing my computer.

Tiling is autistic as fuck sure, but hey your computer right? You continue to not give a shit about my cinnamon desktop and ill continue to not give a shit about your tiling

I've always kinda dreamed of a good tiling window manager for windows. Winsplit revolution kind did it, powertoys kinda does it.

I dunno, it doesn't necessarily have to be pure autism to want an organized desktop no? I mean you can go too far.. sometimes you really just need a window to be highest in the Z index but sometimes it's nice in at least in embedded.

Some workflow I used to have:
40" 4k monitor,
teraterm connected to a UART to USB bottom middle pane, IDE connected to target to step center focus pane, conemu running connected to server to wait and see if ECU connects and sends records over IP in top pane. Toggling in notepad++/vs code over the idea focus pane. Maybe a browser floating around with task list or just browsin'. Maybe it's just autism but sometimes when I'm flipping through a bunch of open applications I lose my flow state.

Fancywm

Oh I forgot I'd put pidgin in one area top left or top right focus area. Maybe music player somewhere tho I don't mind just keeping that minimized and floating it.

Tags are such a neat idea, it's too bad all the window managers that support them are autistic tiling bullshit. Awesome supports floating windows but it's the most autistic of them all, you have to rice every fucking little thing if you don't want a fugly ass desktop.

They're a meme if you use a mouse. However perfect for laptops and touchpads.

tag 3 (private) and 9 (normal) actually

I tried installing a theme for awesonewm but it was semi frozen because the lua libraries were out of date or something.

Kinda funny that twm users keep posting that pic, since it shows the biggest problem with twms.
Look at xclock. It's supposed to be round, but isn't, because twms don't take into consideration that graphical programs usually have a optimal size range and optimal aspect ration to be used in. Programs can set those using size hints to the wm, but twms have to ignore them.
Twm only really work well with text based programs, and even then only to an extent. And as soon as a more complex pseudo-gui (like mc) is involved the things I said about regular guis apply.

reminder: floating windows in a tiling wm works better than tiling windows in a floating wm.

Attached: 1653897243885.png (640x475, 315.21K)

this, I tried DWM with custom binds on a laptop and loved it but I prefer the floating window experience on desktop when I have a mouse.