Remember how as a child you were told nothing ever disappears from the internet? Well they were wrong

Remember how as a child you were told nothing ever disappears from the internet? Well they were wrong

Attached: 1655314095774.png (295x104, 7.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.loc.gov/thesignal/2011/11/the-average-lifespan-of-a-webpage/
archive.org/details/gpt4chan_model
archive.org/details/gpt4chan_model_float16
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, they were.
The Internet is nothing but a bunch of computers that can communicate between themselves, it is not some intangible medium that exists in the aether.

F

>torrents is the only place stuff is stored
imagine being this clueless about the net

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 56.19K)

>implying DDL lasts forever

blogs.loc.gov/thesignal/2011/11/the-average-lifespan-of-a-webpage/

everything is backed up user, you're just to pleb to have access

it's still out there, just not going to seed
they were right, get fucked.

Yes it's kind of a meme. Already a long time ago things like the stickdeath original animations and mp3.com music is simply gone.

Seed GPT-Any Forums if you can, this thing has been online for a few weeks and is already on the verge of going extinct.
archive.org/details/gpt4chan_model
archive.org/details/gpt4chan_model_float16

>Yeah no problem bro here's the download
>megaupload.com/fuckyou

This boomer meme is an infuriating pet peeve of mine. What they mean when they say this is that using normie services like Facebook everything is logged and saved and the institutions are reliable enough to keep data around. Dumb fuck boomer Jimbo was just blown away when he realized that when he threatened his ex wife over Facebook the police were still able to request the data and serve him even though he "deleted" his posts.

Unfortunately zoomers have picked up on this meme as well simply because they're used to other people doing the work of archival for them and often because they don't do or like anything interesting enough at risk of being lost. Data is lost ALL THE FUCKING TIME online and too many retards are starting to not understand that keeping data live requires active effort and collaboration from everyone.

Good riddance

the thing I hate the most about the internet is how we don't use metadata extensively, for example every edited file (image, audio, video, text, etc) must have the source of the original file, this would make archiving much easier

>as a child you were told nothing ever disappears from the internet
No, I'm not a zoomer, I had friends and a SNES when I was a child.

You're a zoomer then. Millenials grew up with the Atari 2600 and if lucky a Commodore 64.

>nothing ever disappears from the internet
This has never been true. Just to give an example, many old forums have completely disappeared without a trace, they aren't even in any public archive.

They MIGHT be backed up in the deepest ends of some glownigger database, but it's inaccessible to the general population and they are still very unlikely to ever reappear.

As it turns out, life goes on. People eventually forget or stop caring about most shit they see on the internet, they stop bothering with backups, and over time that data is gone without a trace. Only the things that are actually important to a large enough group of people are preserved.

>being born in 87 is being a zoomer

Attached: 01a4ac6f63f455d669a3caa58d148768064010ad.png (695x471, 171.19K)

Realised this a few mobths ago. I'm going to build a server.

This is a very vague post, please elaborate.

i remembering losing my minecraft maps and builds because megaupload went down over night and i didnt backup anywhere else. even since that i dont keep backups on cloud. so that'd be over decade now

Setting up a seedbox is the ultimate act of heroism.

It took over two decades for posts I made in the late 90s on some forums to finally go away, because the person/organisation running the forums finally went away/went under. The Utah Data Center didn't exist when I was a kid though.