Why is 3D printing a meme?

Why is 3D printing a meme?

Attached: printed_guns.jpg (1440x993, 151.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gRgd-luzuAY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's good for rapid prototypes and to make hyperspecific small parts you need, but both require some expertise in 3d design and the entire thing is unpractical for larger objects or parts that are universal enough to justify mass production.

That's a loaded question implying that the option for it to not be a meme does not exist. You have already decided that it is. So you tell me why it's a meme.

anybody have the 3d model? definitely not a federal agent

defcad.com

if youre asking unironically

Just look for FGC-9 MK 2 on either defcad, /k/ or odyssee.
Not an American, fuck you ATF.

Are these 3D printed guns viable? Wouldn't it explode in your hands as soon as you fire?

JStark's (RIP) FGC-9 is fully 3D printed, here is it in action.
youtube.com/watch?v=gRgd-luzuAY

how's the morning shift going, officer?

I just can't imagine a plastic gun lasting long
Every time you fire a bullet its like a mini explosion
Who knows you might use one an a piece of plastic might go flying towards your face
Maybe if its like some sort of composite maybe

great until i was asked to pay for a membership to download the file on defcad

The functional parts are usually actual gunparts that are unregulated in the US so it's not even that crazy.

fully 3D-printed guns work but are basically disposable due to tolerancing and wear issues (see: the Liberator)
the FGC-9 is mostly plastic, but makes use of simple, self-produced metal parts for the fire control, bolt and barrel and is generally considered to be safe and reliable for a few hundred rounds
you also have a wide range of 3D-printed frames and receivers that are essentially drop-in replacements for the OEM part, and can be built out with non-regulated commercial parts into a "regular" gun. Depending on the exact design, print quality, and filament used, they can survive thousands of rounds.
tl;dr: yes, very

Attached: 1634805848253.jpg (2000x1500, 197.46K)

If you can buy gun parts and ammo you can also buy a gun. What's the point? To have a "ghost gun"?

>3D printed gun
>modelled after horrendous AR15/M16 pattern toys
I hate america so much it's unreal and their gayass shit rifles

The point is to have fun, nigger.

Let me guess: the AK is le better. Have you ever fired an AR-15? I bet you've fired neither. The AR is simply a superior platform. The AK has unnecessarily heavy moving parts which contribute to recoil for essentially no benefit to the shooter. It's not even a tradeoff, the AR-15 is just better. AKs are used by militaries for historical and/or budget reasons. That's it. And I'm not even american, this is just common knowledge.

basically the printers still suck. Once the tech gets better, like brain dead easy + better print material, low fail rate etc I fully expect everyone to either have a 3d printer or know someone who does. Maybe even easy mode get something printed up at costco/home depot etc like how stores use to print up photos.
Everyone has dumb shit they would love to have printed up. Holder for this, bracket for that..

building your own guns is based, the ATF is cringe, and under current laws in the US the receiver/frame IS the gun. If you can build it yourself, everything else is unregulated and it's all perfectly legal as long as you're not selling them.

honestly, in my experience, modern budget printers are more than good enough for small dumb parts like brackets and holders. Throw something together in Blender or one of the babby's-first-CAD websites, run it through a slicer and load up some PLA and it'll print 99% of the time as long as you're not doing anything critically retarded.