/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: unzips sapeli.png (1001x669, 633.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html
codewith.mu/en/howto/1.1/install_linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is Mint to Debian what Manjaro is to Arch?

If you're comfortable on Debian, is there any reason to use Mint over it, I guess is what I'm asking. Does it do anything better or different than Debian or is it just Debian for newbies?

If you're comfortable with whichever distro, there's likely little reason to switch. You could be an advanced user using Mint or Manjaro who doesn't switch because why bother if things work. What you gain with the bigger distros though is the documentationand a bigger record of good as well as bad advice, etc.
I think one of the few legitimate reasons to switch to a more base distro is always the interest in learning because some of the more friendly distros hide things from the user. If said user wishes to learn, they may be better of on Debian than on Mint.

Have you ever successfully used the SysRq key? Apparently in some cases it can help if your system freezes. Do you have any favourite SysRq commands?

kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/sysrq.html

Attached: sysrq.png (1292x586, 618.64K)

>Is Mint to Debian what Manjaro is to Arch?
No, not even close. Manjaro is an unholy clusterfuck, Mint is a solid project that does a good job setting up a clean environment with reasonable changes (IE removing Snaps) from the parent distros.
Manjaro is drastically different, and has a much rockier tract record than Mint.

If you want to try Arch on EZ mode either just use archinstall or use EndeavourOS.

This looks interesting, I've never paid attention to that key lol

My question - Libreoffice vs. OnlyOffice. I've used Libre for years, I don't really do anything outside of casual document editing. I'm guessing there's no real reason to change, but curious what other people think. I know OnlyOffice focuses on maximum compatibility/integration with MS Office.

how do you setup sysreq on fedora? i've been wanting something to help me with freezes. sometimes firefox will just freeze my system for no reason and can't do shit but hard reset. It's funny because I can play intensive games and melt ym gpu on proton but a fucking browser freezes my shit totally

>ever successfully used the SysRq key?
Only "reisub" sequence. I was having some issues with a new graphics card behaving badly.

I have. Remember the mnemonic:
Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken

I see. I had the impression Mint was also a clusterfuck, something I heard about them mixing debian and ubuntu packages.

>My question - Libreoffice vs. OnlyOffice
you want LibreOffice. LibreOffice is an active project, OpenOffice is moribund, and that's putting it generously. The short version of the story is that years ago, Oracle bought OpenOffice and all the developers, knowing full well what Oracle does, forked the project and left. The thing that Oracle was planning to make into a cash cow turned into an empty hulk overnight. They eventually dumped it on the Apache foundation after the realized that their bad reputation had scared away all the devs and prevented them from ever having a chance of monetizing it.

There's a sysctl controlling what magic-sysrq things are enabled, idk what fedora enables but many distros don't enable all of it by default. Mostly because they expect to be run in places other than a traditional single-user workstation where there's exactly one user at the console who has root. check /etc/sysctl.conf, kernel.sysrq=1 enables everything.

How should I go about making a mouse macro in X?
Like pressing a key combination on the keyboard triggers continuous clicking? Super+Shift to enable or disable, for instance.

Who is he gonna slice up?

Finns are a blessing for the human race.

Attached: 1652565952783.png (479x909, 900.34K)

Turning an old z420 into a homeserver but not sure which distro to go with. I was thinking of doing a centos stream web server and hosting a little website on there to use as a resume showing my 1337 linux skills. My plan was "oh this is how redhat is it would be a great convo starter for a job interview" But I heard centos is gay and useless.
I've been doing support tech/active directory shit for ten years. Child support is kicking my ass and I feel like I could be making at least 50% more than I'm making now

big noob
all I know about compiling is the make command
I'm trying to compile ffm2 but it requires avisynth
I installed avisynth on a custom location (~/avisynth) and then ran
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/avisynth/lib/pkgconfig CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/avisynth/include" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/avisynth/lib" ./autogen.sh --enable-shared --enable-avisynth
which worked fine
but when I do make it always errors with:
src/avisynth/avssources.h:28:10: fatal error: avisynth.h: No such file or directory
28 | #include
how2fix?

Attached: elon katana.jpg (1242x685, 128K)

I got filtered..
What the FUCK is RST? what the fuck is SGX? why the fuck cant it just work

The new version of ibus-daemon (1.5.26) refuses to run with -x (ibus XIM server), I had to downgrade to 1.5.25 to make it work again. Gentoo wiki recommends running ibus with ibus-daemon -drx, running the new version without -x makes it so that mozc doesn't work in the terminal, and probably other programs that I didn't test.

Attached: 1655210290727.png (561x527, 271.09K)

Can't run the Mu 1.1.1 AppImage in Xubuntu.
What am I doing wrong ?
I followed the instructions at codewith.mu/en/howto/1.1/install_linux ; I can see in the task manager that the process is launching then shutting off/crashing immediately.

Attached: apu_lit_thinkpad_chat.png (680x504, 361.55K)

"a" in ncmpcpp says "mpd permission denied"
i have no idea why or how to fix send the help

Attached: 1655257936831.jpg (979x1062, 161.65K)

If i dont know Vim should i use just learn using Neovim instead?

I have never compiled a program from source before, but I'm trying to compile tk/tcl 8.6 for red hat linux 7 because Red Hat doesn't have the latest version in their repositories. How exactly do you do it? What options do I need to configure for the pre-exec/config?

Welp, after 4 months of distro hopping, I just installed LMDE on my laptop and will probably be keeping it there.
Nothing came close to the user friendliness and I honestly dont need the customization that many other distros I tried offered.
Its my forever distro, and Im cool with that

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-06-14 21-56-17.png (1287x786, 123.05K)

Cinnamon's easily my favorite DE out of the box. Very comfy.

I agree. It feels modern unlike xfce, and doesnt feel overcomplicated like KDE imo
not that either of those DEs are bad, I just want something that looks nice and doesnt smother me with customization options

i have 2 os on my computer and recently windows is melfunnctioning. can i fix the problem from linux? i do have access to the system files.

doesn't really matter, but maybe hold off on going wild with plugins in either case

XFCE has the better menu imo but it's also pretty ugly unless you grab a retro styled theme, it doesn't pull off a modern look very well. And when you do get a retro theme, then you have to deal with some windows using the Client Side Decorations being extremely ugly. KDE feels excessive and unintuitive to me. Even if it runs better than it used to. It's just too much and it always seems to break on me as well.

Cinnamon really is the right balance for something that just works and looks good if you want to use a DE and not just grab a window manager. I only have 2 complaints with it, one is that most of the themes look the same (kde has this problem too) and two is that Nemo fucking sucks, it's so slow.