Apple Leaks Thread

Alright MacFags, here you go. First hand leak from the source. Don’t really give a shit if you don’t care, just needed somewhere to post. Left Apple a few months back during a sort of mass exodus so I’m confident they won’t figure out who I am. First off, that 12” MacBook rumor isn’t BS people are just getting the wrong idea. It’s supposed to replace the 13” MBP. Think more like PowerBook G4 12” than 2015 MacBook. Same exact design as 14” and 16” just scaled down. Internal prototype only for now (which is why Ross Young hasn’t had any display info), but it’s been in development almost as long as the 14” and 16”. Meant to come out along side those, but due to god awful thermals, they decided to hold it back until 3nm and make a new touchbar MBP update to buy time. Apple shifted a few times on what they wanted to do with it. Original DTK run was supposed to be a 12” MacBook (original style, not this redesign) plus a Mac Mini so you could test the iPad compatibility layer with a trackpad, but got scrapped in early-mid 2020 cause Apple was still dealing with the fallout over the butterfly keyboard. This is where that original rumor came from where the 12” MacBook was supposed to be the first laptop with Apple Silicon. New 12” should have all the ports of the 14” and 16” and come with M2 Pro or M2 Max. Last I heard they were not planning on making the top end 38 core available. M2 Pro would have its 10cpu/16gpu and 12cpu/18gpu config available and M2 Max would only have its 12cpu/28gpu config available. All on TSMC 3nm. The new node is good enough that the 12” chassis can just barely handle the top end config. No words on pricing, but it won’t be cheap, closer to 1800 from what I heard. The 1200-1800 segment is supposed to be filled by the M3 MacBook Air 15” which should launch either right before this or along side (late 2023, early 2024). I didn’t work on those so I don’t have much info. What I do have I’ll post below

Attached: 18BEB2CC-3D23-4F48-BE85-D3F1BC8CC353.png (1810x1018, 260.55K)

I have a MacBook pro m1 base model which was bought on sale for 1050 plus tax

That was about three weeks ago.. with a three month return window.

Should return it and get the MacBook air m2
The headphone jack dac is sorta a big deal.

why the fuck would anyone want a 12" laptop. 13" is already small enough

Like I said before. I don’t have much info on the 15” MacBook Air other than it’s going to have a 6p/4e cpu model that you can get as an upgrade to the 4p/4e base. This would basically make it the same chip as the ‘double binned’ base model M2 Pro (both with 6 performance 4 efficiency cores on 3nm) but M2 Pro will have a faster GPU, more ProRes encoders/decoders, higher power limit, and more than 1 external display support which I think makes it worth it once you factor in the price of RAM and Storage upgrades as well as getting ProMotion XDR on the 12”. I have more info, but I feel like these posts have gone way too long so feel free to ask questions.

Attached: 678131A0-1148-4E0E-A263-9BE45440DB31.png (1600x900, 438.33K)

If you can get one on launch day, might be a good option. From what I head supply is pretty limited.
PowerBook 12” is objectively one of the best laptops Apple ever made. It’s going to be a pretty successful laptop.

Will M2 get hardware-accelerated ray tracing for 3D rendering?

I gathered most apple employee phone numbers through various means, anyone you recommend calling?

Cool

All I've ever wanted was a larger 15"+ Macbook Air

No, M2 is based on A15. Hardware RT is a future thing. Metal 3 is adding support for it now so that hardware testing can begin.

This, I use Blender was considering getting a Mac Studio but finding out it has no hardware ray tracing acceleration puts it at a significant disadvantage compared to Nvidia RTX and AMD RDNA2, and the benchmarks show it.

Most of them use work numbers and don’t take random calls or texts. At least that’s what my department did.

>All on TSMC 3nm.
this is how i know this is bullshit. N3 is still shitting the bed hard and it won't be ready for mass production until early 2023 at the earliest. the largest node leap they could achieve this year is N4P, but i see them sticking with N5P until N3 is ready.

M2 Pro/Max is coming Spring 2023. Apple is on 1.5 year product cycles.

There isn’t many people without strong academic background at Apple, is there? From what I’ve gathered from Cupertino Apple Park employees most of them seem to be top of their class coming from ivy league. From your experience, did you come across any noticeable amount of self-taught people? Does Apple insist on academia very much?

3nm won't be ready until Fall 2023 at the earliest. Not Spring 2023. I also wouldn't expect the crazy good yields of 5nm, they aren't going to use it for a Max or pro chip right off the bat. It's going to be expensive and not offer the same level of performance/efficiency uplift that 7nm -> 5nm did. Also Zen5 P-Cores will be sharing 3nm so even worse availability.

Q2 2023 is when most early 3nm processors will be launching. Qualcomm and Apple both have products launching at that time. 70% Denser logic, and 30% power reduction is nothing to scoff at. TSMC is 100% on schedule for 2023.

>Should return it and get the MacBook air m2
Why not? It's not a massive improvement but you might as well take advantage.

2H22 not 2Q22 is when production STARTS. Meaning the first chips will be ready around Q322. I believe Qualcomm is using N4P next generation too.

I'm not reading all of that.

Only thing I care about is 120hz update to pro display XDR, any info on that. I think limits of display adapter standards are coming into play.

>I have more info, but I feel like these posts have gone way too long so feel free to ask questions.
gimme moar textwalls it filters the tards

Almost poetic how this happens

Are there any schizo Linux users at Apple (default Ubuntu does not count)

If Apple didn't do MiniLED + 120hz on the Pro Display XDR it would be like shooting themselves in the foot. It's almost certainly coming next year.

are apple employees midwits