Introducing

Introducing
Yet Another Operating System
brought to you by the creator of
Yet Another Systems Language

mighty ambitious but he certainly has enough opinions on seemingly everything to give shape to something
this might get interesting, what does Any Forums think?

Attached: os.png (680x188, 36.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

drewdevault.com/2022/06/13/helios.html
github.com/isometimes/rpi4-osdev/tree/master/part5-framebuffer
usa1lib.org/book/6153326/368d38
github.com/lwiest/Atari6502Assembler
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Introducing
>Yet Another Operating System
>brought to you by the creator of
>Yet Another Systems Language
And it'll be yet another POSIX.
It's all so tiresome.

it will have a POSIX compatibility layer but as i understand it it wants to do it's own thing
drewdevault.com/2022/06/13/helios.html

These names suck. All the features should be named after waifus.

It's okay user. I'm working on an OS and I don't even know what POSIX is so I can pretty much guarantee it won't be compatible. Currently making my own version of C tentatively called "D For Dragon!". Target machines are the Clockwork Pi running A-06 and R-01 cores. I will target any other Clockwork Pi core I can get my hands on that works with the 3.14 board.

Attached: 8677f862c85d3eac0016253f6cf04e7c.jpg (1780x2500, 1.94M)

>every component is named after a god
and that's how I know it'll be garbage

>after celestial bodies
and those fags don't even know where the names come from

>All the features should be named after waifus.
about time for sneedOS?

I find this hard to believe, since all of those objects predate life on Earth.

I haven't had people vote on the name yet (because I don't know a good place for anonymous polls). If Any Forums calls it SneedOS, my body is ready.

Attached: fee5dc0689e42d9d08be06038e608976.jpg (1446x2048, 264.71K)

the actual naming issue will be which waifus and the order of them

Something will be named for Tohru and something will be named for Senko. Other than that I'll probably just make polls and let Any Forums choose.

I'm still a long ways off of having anything useful to name though. My hardware hasn't arrived yet, and D For Dragon! isn't done yet.

Attached: 24877006d5270f963b79028cc431515d.jpg (3302x2592, 3.14M)

just checking, you're aware there's already a D programming language, right?

looks fun!

>Venus: real-world driver collection
read: linux drivers with a shim
which, by the way, completely disproves the need for a microkernel, since the drivers are already isolated enough with proper interfaces to be able to run on a completely foreign base

>just checking, you're aware there's already a D programming language, right?

Attached: 6c388329797e6b34f76c53c16262e702.jpg (736x414, 34.03K)

You haven't even begun the OS yet?
What language are you planning to write it in, C or asm? And which assembler/compiler?
I spent a few hours figuring out how to be able to build the image from multiple files since before I was building it from a single big C file but that was becoming unmanageable.
It works but I get weird erratic errors, for example sometimes arguments aren't passed correctly when calling other files, extern variables aren't actually shared between files, etc.
I wonder it it's bugs in gcc or I am doing something stupid.
Still haven't gotten to disk IO, not sure how I am going to do that.

The point of a microkernel isn't portability, it's to prevent shitty misbehaving drivers from messing with the other parts of the kernel.

>You haven't even begun the OS yet?

I made a small bootloader/kernel for raspi 4 based on this:

github.com/isometimes/rpi4-osdev/tree/master/part5-framebuffer

But using the raspi 4 as my daily driver and trying to do bare metal with it at the same time was a pain in the ass so I ordered a DevTerm kit and an extra RISC-V core.

>What language are you planning to write it in, C or asm? And which assembler/compiler?

I'm making my own compiler and my own assembler. I've made a few interpreted languages before, and a couple compiled ones, but I always made my compilers with a compiler compiler. Consequently I felt my knowledge was superficial so I started working through this book:

usa1lib.org/book/6153326/368d38

The language will be C-esque. My plan is to literally have it spit out an assembly code file that needs to be fed to an assembler. I've never made an assembler before but I found this to study:

github.com/lwiest/Atari6502Assembler

I should have some time because the Clockwork Pi has 60 business days of ship time away.

>I spent a few hours figuring out how to be able to build the image from multiple files since before I was building it from a single big C file but that was becoming unmanageable.
>It works but I get weird erratic errors, for example sometimes arguments aren't passed correctly when calling other files, extern variables aren't actually shared between files, etc.

Can I look at your source? I will try to solve your bug in hopes of learning more about low level. What machine are you targeting?

>I wonder it it's bugs in gcc or I am doing something stupid.

gcc is a good compiler. This stuff is just hard. If it wasn't github would have as many copy-paste kernel experiments as it has copy-paste Angular bootcamp capstone projects.

>Still haven't gotten to disk IO, not sure how I am going to do that.

I haven't gotten that far but I will look through my sources and see if I have anything helpful.

Attached: z6nlbanzxzy61.png (800x1236, 795.18K)

hare sucks so hareos is going to suck

Will it support Wayland?

>The language will be C-esque
same shit as always