Ray-tracing

We're multiple years and generations into ray-tracing being a thing. What's the verdict, judge?

Attached: rtx comparison.jpg (680x680, 61.59K)

Light Rays go boing-oing-ing on high albedo surfaces.
Light Rays go pewewew-pssssstt on low albedo surfaces.

ray tracing is bs.
i have it. it makes shadows look so sharp, it feels fake.
remember the umbra, penumbra. shadows arent usually that sharp but in game, it looks so pathetically fake.

Game changer.

But then again hedonistic shit like video-games won't help us battle our genocide. Just saying.

Show Bob and Vagene Pajeet

Useless

I think 80's/early 90's style ray tracing just had a cool vibe aesthetically. Old Id Software games look really distinct and striking. It's also fun to learn to implement it in C and they were cool enough to open source a lot of their shit.

I don't think it's supposed to look hyperrealistic so much as it's a stylistic call. I put it in the same box of tricks as like, toon rendering.

Sir, this is a technology board. Nobody is being genocided here, sir.

Attached: 1654959339515.gif (400x486, 161.41K)

Only poorfags hate it.

Attached: DHCP server.jpg (480x600, 89.37K)

Nice for renders and likely good in some programmatic solutions going forwards. I avoid it in games though, benefit isn't worth it.

The people complaining about it tanking performance are also the people turning on meaningless ultra settings.

Dunning-Kruger, etc.

>What's the verdict, judge?
no recesses; I'm gonna go jerk off in the law library

already existed back in 1997.
but you NEEDED more.
now cope and seethe.

Attached: 1647363065790.jpg (1267x817, 186.4K)

Lol I got my 6900xt because it was better at raster than my 2080ti by a factor of 3x in most games rt is a fucking meme

just another graphics technology like tesselation or geometry shaders. can be used to render light effects more realistically which is a cook thing

seething amd fanatics looks like luddites to me

cyberpunk low vs ultra

Attached: cyberpunk-low-ultra.jpg (1920x1080, 382.29K)

cyberpnuk rtx off vs on

now tell me which options you should turn on for better graphics?

Attached: cyberpunk-rtx.jpg (1920x1080, 374.95K)

on if you want more realism, off if you want a gamey look

>38 fps
wew lad

both look like shit, but that's a cyberpunk problem

Like 3D in the early 90s, it will become a standard eventually, but it's still in the gimmick stage. It's at least two GPU generations away.

I need this on full screen 4K, with live animation, reactive environments and explorable from every angle

good if you're into realistic animations, useless if you play 8 bit games

Yet another thing for studios to waste their money on instead of hiring some decent artists.

just wait until 2004 and you'll already have half of that.

Attached: 1630210614855.jpg (2000x1161, 246.85K)

Have only played with Full RTX on one game, Ghostwire Tokyo. Looked bretty gud. \
But overall i think it still seems like a meme, or at least not worth the $$. Could probably still get more for your buck upping regular rasterizing and all its gimmicks.