Arch or Debian?

Am going to make the move away from windows. Have dabbled in both of these many years ago, but want to move back to one of them now.
Pros and cons of both???

Attached: 1655153134062.jpg (1024x702, 254.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G-mLyrHonvU
linuxconfig.org/how-to-run-debian-sid-relatively-safely
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

neither.
use a mac for that proper *.nix experience

Attached: 1646162563727.jpg (1500x422, 391.4K)

Literally doesn't matter.
Just pick the Desktop Environment you think looks dope nasy.

Attached: 1654784932095.jpg (686x647, 102.97K)

>be arch user
>partial upgrades are unsupported
>break pacman/libc/keyring

I guess that's a con

It never happens tho unless you are clinically retarded

Just pick one and install. Linux is a journey

In a general sense which one is more configurable security -wise?

Ok. I don't think I am. Well I mean I have not been officially diagnosed as such.

You should just read and follow the manual. This is the same advice for every distro

I say take the Arch pill. I really like how minimal Arch is and I like rolling updates. With Arch you have the say on everything that is on your computer.
I haven't tried Archinstall, instead I did it the long way. But I may as well mention it
youtube.com/watch?v=G-mLyrHonvU
Then all you have do is rice you distro with some smug anime girls.

>I say take the Arch pill. I really like how minimal Arch is and I like rolling updates. With Arch you have the say on everything that is on your computer.
>I haven't tried Archinstall, instead I did it the long way. But I may as well mention it
> Archinstall - Arch Linux Made Easy [9:36]
>Then all you have do is rice you distro with some smug anime girls.

Attached: 1655182684549.png (427x400, 12.25K)

Distro arguments are a meme. What you pick is entirely up to what you want to do with your computer and your tastes. I run a Debian variant because all I do with my computer is ssh into it to write code in C with vim.

Attached: 1654811072454.jpg (1400x1195, 111.91K)

Hey I'm not ugly and bald I'm ugly and hairy
>Distro arguments are a meme
Distro arguments are often just arguments about which window manager is best, but I'd say there is a lot of value in a minimal install. Ubuntu is bloated with packages.

Debian with the lastest packages is the chef's kiss

>chef's kiss
Is that a good or a bad thing?

for me, its debian testing

I've used arch as a daily driver for 2 years now and I can tell you you should probably go with Debian. With arch many issues will arise that will mostly be super easy to fix but sometimes you cannot find a solution for a long time. With Debian you set something up and forget about it - there is no looking for fixes or breaks in the future.

Chadora Workstation

Attached: fedora.png (750x920, 359.17K)

Thanks. While I like tinkering, I don't want to have to do it on a daily basis

One of my arch installs broke when updating

I update my Debian variant about twice a year. Usually takes 30 mins at that point, and I have never had an update break anything.

I will say that 10 years ago I was a Ubuntu user, and that 10 years ago Ubuntu was an unworkable nightmare. I have not used it since so my info may be out of date.

Attached: catplanet1.jpg (500x281, 30.66K)

You don't have to do it daily, but you will have to do it on an recurring basis

Debian just works, not even meming. Anyone who has ported a Linux distro on some weird obscure hardware has usually done so with Debian. It's the universal distro.

Valve decided to hop away from Debian for their SteamOS base because Wine games are always hacks that require the newest libraries and newest kernel to fix the neverending bugs. This is not the regular Linux experience but a special case that focuses on Wine and Windows software alone. Anyone using native software doesn't need the absolute newest libraries the minute they are out. In fact Ubuntu LTS is very popular due to being supported for so long without changing.

If you install Debian and feel like you actually need newer packages there are multiple ways to get them. You can backport individual packages from testing/Sid level and keep the rest of your system on stable level. You can install packaged "container" software like Appimage, Flatpak or Snap. A one step further would be Docker but that's more for developers and not to use as a regular program. You can also upgrade your whole system to testing or Sid level. You might want to read this first linuxconfig.org/how-to-run-debian-sid-relatively-safely

Looks like it's Debian then

Many thaanks

Use the nonfree ISO, not the regular ISO. Nonfree ISO comes with all the drivers even if they are nonfree and not freedom-respecting. That includes almost every wifi chip ever. You'll have a lot less headache if your hardware works straight out of the box.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Also if you want to have sudo installed by default, skip the question where they ask for root password. If root password is empty it suggests adding the next regular user to sudo group.

I use Arch on my desktop and Debian testing on my laptop (needed to go from stable to testing to get a few newer drivers) and I vastly prefer pacman to apt. Plus AUR is very convenient. But otherwise there's not a huge difference.

OP here again - good tips, thanks I will do this
Why is pacman preferable to apt?