Try to play a video in Firefox

>Try to play a video in Firefox
>No hardware acceleration, CPU usage 100%
>Bug report open for 3 years: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210726
>Unassigned
Shit

>Try to play a video in Chromium
>Bug report open for 6 years: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=137247
>Status: WontFix
Shit

>Have to download a special build of Chromium from the AUR called chromium-vaapi
>Have to enable special settings in chrome://flags on that special build
>Finally get video acceleration
>Video is still not perfectly smooth and GPU usage is insane

What the fuck? How can you use Linux like this when it's lacking such basic functionality? I know there's shit like youtube-dl but that doesn't cover every use case. The web browser is the thing everyone uses all day every day, and video playback is very common. How the fuck does Linux not have this yet? It's never going to be the year of the Linux desktop if they can't get this shit under control.

Attached: 1655173092316.png (447x456, 162.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stupid.tech/screw-hammer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cry harder faggot

Attached: 1591995268185.jpg (313x270, 14.35K)

works fine on my machine. even intensive twitch streams have no issue.

Wait what? I have working hardware acceleration since I was playing flash games on miniclip.

but are you using intel gpu

>playing flash games on miniclip

Take me back ;_;

works on my machine

Try harder.

no im using a dual core ryzen APU with integrated graphics

Your problem is old hardware, moron. Don't pretend if you're just a poorfag after all.

>Have to download a special build of Chromium from the AUR called chromium-vaapi
This hasn't been true for years. Update your shitposts, Jay.

FF has this resource issue but uChromium doesn't on my machine

No shit. That means you should either sort out why you can't use hardware acceleration, or buy a computer with a CPU that can actually decode video in real time. The bar isn't terribly high for this either. I got a ThinkPad T440p back in 2014, it has a Haswell i7, and it still handles YouTube just fine though 8K without hardware acceleration does use a lot of CPU. I don't have an 8K monitor though, and even if I did I don't think I'd mind dropping to 4K or 1080p if I was trying to do other CPU intensive stuff, so I don't really care that much.

theyre enabling vaapi on firefox by default in version 102 (in 2 weeks, 3 top) and its already stable enough to enable it in about:config

>Try to drive a screw with a hammer
>no rotatable hammers, arm pain 100%
>patents filed 3 years ago: stupid.tech/screw-hammer
>no commercial viability
shit

OP is obviously using Intel

ok retard

You are an absolute moron. VLC, mpv, and mplayer all use hw acceleration just fine. The problem is obviously with the browsers. dumb fucking cunt

its called a manual impact driver.

god this place attracts the biggest morons

works well even on haswell integrated gpu
maybe get a real cpu

Quit using trannyfox and start using Brave like a true gentleman.

works fine on both browsers for me

>I know there's shit like youtube-dl

uh... I think someone better tell him...