Which is the best workflow

Emacs as EVERYTHING (notmuch, magit, elfeed, ERC, dirvish etc... ) vs Vim + inumerous ncurses and terminal tools (neomutt, lazygit, newsboat, weechat, ranger etc...) ?

Attached: file.png (637x531, 88.31K)

What is emacs and how does it work?

Never used emacs, but the notion of calling vim something that does one thing very well is a bit of a stretch. It does many things very well and is massively customizable.

Though I suppose this all depends on what we call "one thing"

Rider
Vscodium
Nano

Fuck you OP faggot.
I await snide remarks.

????

Emacs and Vim are both fantastic tools. I used to use Vim for everthing but switched to Emacs for my text-editing needs after learning how to configure it properly (I really do not like the default keybinds). I switched mainly since if I'm using a GUI I might as well use a GUI text-editor.
I don't find myself using many of Emac's features, since I'm still believe that having one program do everything is bad design but I can see why people might.

the antireligious choice, and use a mix of both worlds, whichever works for you.
i use emacs, but i still use newsboat, irssi, and git from the command line.

I literally do not comprehend using emacs for long periods of time
As far as I know, it's an internet exclusive phenomenon

I just use nano because I don't need fucking survival tools in the kitchen. If I need to trim a hedge I'll use a hedge trimmer rather than a machete and if I need a screwdriver I'll just grab a proper screwdriver rather than messing with a Swiss army knife.

Attached: butter knife.jpg (960x960, 37.16K)

what if you need to cut a steak and all you have is a stupid butter knife in your kitchen

Then I've picked the wrong tool. I should use a steak knife rather than a butter knife, machete or Swiss army knife.

so you just install multiple editors?

Or if for some reason I don't have one at all, I just go out and buy one.

Neovim has promising future, it might not be long until it has a nice GUI. Will you come back once that happens? I wonder.

Emacs with evil-mode.
/this fucking autistic war

Why does it need a gui?
I can click on the file tree anyways from the terminal

honestly the day neovim gets
1. good lisp repl support
2. some way to setup LSP servers easily and in such a way that they don't break every other week
i'm switching back. until then though, i'm sticking with emacs + evil mode

>1. good lisp repl support
No one can beat emacs at this, emacs is the best lisp interpreter.
>2. some way to setup LSP servers easily and in such a way that they don't break every other week
If putting autocomplete and snippets in neovim is torture, imagine an LSP server, forget it nigga, stay in emacs.

>No one can beat emacs at this, emacs is the best lisp interpreter.
emacs is an elisp interpreter, which i don't care much for since it's just useful inside of emacs. really all i'd need is some neovim plugin that lets me have a common lisp repl and compile functions interactively like i can in emacs with C-c C-c
>imagine an LSP server
they have lspconfig, and it was working alright last time i tried it, but then there was an update and my setup broke. i wouldn't be surprised if it's already fixed since i last tried it since they're getting stuff done very fast

i think it's possible, honestly kind of hoping it happens since emacs is kind of a pain. sometimes it'll lock up on me cuz muh single threaded, sometimes i end up using ncurses applications in vterm because they're just better than the emacs alternatives. I'll miss the lisp configuration for sure but that's meh, since i haven't touched my emacs config in months anyways.

I honestly find the terminal pretty limiting, but the ncurses software still somehow better than the emacs alternatives and the KDE/Gnome althernatives fucking frustrating to be honest.

i agree, it's weird and pretty annoying. even though i really like the idea of emacs, actually using it isn't as good as i expected, and i don't really want to stop using the ncurses applications i like just because they're not written for emacs, and using terminal software in an actual terminal emulator along other terminal software feels more integrated than the half terminal half emacs nonsense i have going on right now

vs code
with default-everything vim for quick edits in the terminal