Can you still run loonix on 4GB of RAM or is it just not enough?

can you still run loonix on 4GB of RAM or is it just not enough?

Attached: A25AT52EA_2_Supersize.jpg (937x937, 74.87K)

The problem will always be the websites not the operating system

Even 2GB is fine for both Linux and Win10 to comfortably browse with a couple tabs and YouTube for example.

256mb is fine for loonix

14 years ago I could come by easily with Linux on a 8MB RAM laptop, even ran a browser.

fpbp

no matter what barebones setup i run, everything goes out the window as soon as the web browser opens.

I'm running on 4gb, smooth and silky

I'm using Linux on a 2014 Macbook right now. 4GB RAM and Intel 4260U. It works fine for about a dozen simple sites (Any Forums tier) or a single heavy site (YouTube, Google Drive, etc). Runs Steam+EVE Online just fine on lowest settings, but does get quite toasty, so that should give an idea what sort of 3D loads it can handle (ie, not a lot).

so we can just install an ancient kernel without mitigations etc, and run it in a tty today
it will probably not handle any graphical interface

The kernel itself is 10mb
Maybe if you used gentoo with the xorg window manager you could make it super small though, like 8mb. But itd look so ugly that itd make windows 3.11 look good by comparison.
I read that some people managed to get the kernel down to a few kb on gentoo

it's just about possible, a decent cpu and ssd will help a lot though

compiling gento on that would be a dream

I'm using an old laptop with 3gb ram right now and I browse web very comfortably playing music on youtube
even though the cpu is a shitty amd athlon everything works just great

Never mind apparently xorg-server is like 170mb fi think wayland is smaller, but im not sure if wayland has a wm.

I have an old beater pc with an i5 3330 and 4gb ram running loonix right now

Buy more ram. Its like $5-$10 for another 4GB

I run Windows10 on a 4gb Intel I3 Pentium Computer with Visual Studio 2022, IntelliJ IDE, Docker, the WSL and FUCKING ANDROID STUDIO.

Yes, it's as painful as it sounds (probably more). Yes, i am a third worlder.

worth noting with 5 tabs opened youtube included I still only use half of that ram

>but im not sure if wayland has a wm
what did he mean by that

Bros get puppy linux, youre just going to have to give up visual studio.
Anyways yeah custom krrnel+wayland+a lightweight window manager like sway and i think you coukd unironicalky get it to 8mb maybe

RAM not storage, user.

I ran DSL on a 100MHz Pentium laptop with 8MB of RAM in the mid/late 00's.
Full with X, whole desktop and network stack (PCMCIA wireless card) and Firefox, browsing most sites of the time fine too.

Is this seriously that unbelievable to people these days? Looking at some of these posts.

Wow tiny core linux is 16 mb with the regular kernel i dont know how they managed that

GTA V is 120GB, that doesn't mean you need at least 256GB of RAM in order to run it, dumdum

Attached: 1645603007283.jpg (1024x768, 115.92K)

NixOS with XFCE here.
With browser open (a few tabs), VSCodium, a couple of terminals and an rsync transfer going, I only use 2GB flat. So 4 is fine unless you are going to retarded sites, gayming, doing heavy workloads, or are one of those retards that leaves all of their programs open all the time and never closes anything ever.