/spg/ - Smartphone General

In loving memory edition

If you're requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you'll be using. Include the features you want, budget, and size. BEFORE POSTING, narrow down your options by using the links below.

>What phone has X and Y feature?
Don't ask, use these!
gsmarena.com/search.php3
kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones
phonedb.net/index.php?m=device&s=query

Good Resources:
>Reviews
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
notebookcheck.net

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonesized.com/
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Everything rooting and custom ROM related
>Beware carrier variants with locked bootloaders
xda-developers.com/

>A curated list of open source Android applications, tutorials and resources
gitlab.com/linuxcafefederation/awesome-android/-/blob/main/README.md

>Android App compatibility list for de-googled phones
plexus.techlore.tech/

>Custom ROMs suggestions, privacy guides
gearjail.neocities.org/

>Recommended Chinese phones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much you spent on a good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: lumia1520.0.jpg (1400x1400, 191.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3nfqDfjiYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Left
Galaxy S22
With just my right hand, I can go back one page.

>Right
iPhone XS
With just my right hand, I can go foward, back, view all tabs, start a new tab, reload the page, go to bookmarks, go to reading list, go to history, and go to settings.

I'm honestly blown away at just how much worse the Chrome app is on Android. And I'm afraid what other awful things are lurking on the S22 I haven't found yet. I might return and get an iPhone.

Attached: Untitled.png (686x720, 454.93K)

Ever tried another broswer

Yes. I'm not interested in switching at this time.

You're comparing a Safari skin to Chrome. Different browsers

S20FE or S21 or Note20?
For gaymen and camera

Looking at finally taking the Androidpill and switching from my iPhone SE 2020
>Country
US
>Carrier
AT&T
>Features
Privacy, was looking at GrapheneOS, something smaller but not too small (Roughly the same size as my iPhone) MicroSD card slot would be nice but not required, you get it

Not looking for anything super crazy, just something that works for web browsing and communicating with friends and family, and maybe some vidya 4 teh lulz

S20FE but aren't those options all in different price range?
S20FE

>but aren't those options all in different price range?
From what I see all of those are under 600 which is my budget

Pixel 5a

youtube.com/watch?v=m3nfqDfjiYM
I'd use this video as proof that the A15 Bionic is severely gimped when it's in a phone as opposed to when it's a tablet, but then I skipped to the end and
>iPhone SE 2022 runs Genshin better than iPhone 13 Pro Max
Holy shit the SE really is the best iPhone.

Why are Scamshit and Fapple so slow in the quick charging game? Chink phones went up to 120w in 2020. Meanwhile apple is at a revolutionary 25w while SCAMsung is doing the 45w thats barely stronger than 25w BS they did with the s20u. Wouldnt they really want fast charging since it means more expensive trade ins and replacements from degraded batteries?

Attached: 20220604_212821.png (412x144, 94.71K)

install bromite, it is just chromium but has extended optionality, and it has an option to move toolbar down

I was going to get an S20 FE until I learned it had a virtual proximity sensor which makes it a bit wonky to use on calls or may act weird if putting it in your pocket so now I'm not sure

The S21 FE with 256GB/8GB is the equivalent of ~US$595 here right now so I'm considering that heavily instead, the 128/6GB is like ~US$525 so both aren't far off from the S20FE which is around US$430, plus I prob won't change my phone for at least 5 years so the continued support will prob be nicer
alternatively I could just get a pixel 6a next month

Ahh, yes, I was looking at that
Think I'll finally bite the bullet and get one once I get the money.

*and it has the Snapdragon 888 instead of the exynos

just trying to figure out if the S21 FE can underclock it or limit the power usage at a sweetspot. Benchmarks on other phones show that it throttles and ends up performing hotter and worse, but the performance/watt is still better so really it should be better if it can be tuned properly like a desktop CPU

S20fe 5g has snapdragon 865

yeah I'm talking about the S21 FE instead which has a proper proximity sensor unlike the S20 FE
i mean the CPU performance/efficiency is one thing but the primary use of a phone is for calls, sounds like the visual proximity sensor can be an annoyance that you have to adjust to.. rather than the phone adjusting to you

so basically I'm leaning towards the S21 FE now and just figuring out how to alleviate the problems with the hotter CPU if I want to game.
Or maybe PS2/dolphin/etc emulators aren't that intensive anyways?

Are there any phones that receive updates for more than 5 years without rooting? AFAIK only iphones have that much support but it would be great to known some alternatives

I meant flashing custom ROM not rooting

im going to sleep now but can anyone with the S21 FE share their experience with using the power saving mode to limit CPU speed to 70%? Does it help avoid throttling while still achieving performance with better perf/watt than the 885 on the S20 FE?

just want to play ps1/ps2 or earlier games on an emulator anyways, nothing crazy like genshin impact
I'll prob pull the trigger later this week on the S21 FE once I'm certain the throttling can be alleviated since the proper proximity sensor and fresh support is more important to me

Don't think so, maybe the memephones like librem or similar offer something like that