Just got one of these from my dad who used it for Excel and Office apps n shit

Just got one of these from my dad who used it for Excel and Office apps n shit
>4 cores
>16gb ram
>500gb storage
What should I do with it? Give me ideas Any Forums, posting from it now

Attached: A1398_Dummy.jpg (1600x1600, 151.58K)

smear it in shit

this

fuck it

Install Windows on it.

Record yourself smashing it on Any Forums to BTFO the iToddlers

Become a DJ. Seriously, all DJs I've met use macs because they're the "best."

Trade in for an m1

enjoy it. it's still a capable machine and you should be able to push it another few years

You can do that? I wouldn't mind getting an M1 as I want to check out if they're actually good or just a meme, provided I didn't actually have to pay full price for one.

From what I've used of MacOS I like it, and a lot of the developer tools intrigue me, but Apple charges far too much for such little hardware.

I've been using it for a few hours and I like it, didn't have a laptop previously so maybe this is just me liking laptops but it's been very good for some web browsing and light coding, more than capable for what I've been using it for so far.

Yes but they give fuck all of money, see how much you would get in an apple store and see if its worth it
>but Apple charges far too much for such little hardware.
I agree and disagree, sure with the price you could get a heking gayming laptop. But the hardware in apple is something in its own, a mixture of ARM efficiency that can run x86 apps almost natively.
You are basically paying for the efficiency more than the performance (thats why no laptop match the new macs in battery life)
Also MacOS is the best all around OS. The only reason I am on Linux (and will probably use linux on my main machine forever) is because I am a poor ricing loving freetard minimalist fag who only uses an IDE and a browser
Still, if you get one post the reviews and remember to consider not only performance but performance per watt

I see
Well that kinda sucks, guess I'll never experience M1, but this thing'll be good for coding and web browsing for another 3-4 years, it'll be nice having a laptop, much less a Mac

I think you can use as a pillow, but it would be comfortable.

So I can't tell by your photo but it looks as if it's a Mid-2012 15 inch Retina based on the ports. Incredible machines. I believe this started the SSD being soldered onto the board trend though. That being said, 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD are still super viable in 2022. i5 or i7? I had a mid-2012 non-retina and it's still kicking. I use it as a beater now but it took me through years and years of producing music, only being retired after I got my Mac Pro. These things are workhorses, and barring a battery replacement you'll probably need soon, they'll run Catalina and receive security updates.

Take care of it dude. Post your About My Mac.

Just checked, it's a late 2013 one according to About My Mac, i5
Looks like the battery is in shape too, dear old Dad took great care of it, it's in pristine condition considering how much he used it
Honestly loving it so far and it's been a ton of fun using it so far. Now I can potato in bed and watch YT videos and movies and browse Any Forums while I wait till I can afford a TV for my bedroom.

MacOS is better than Windows when it comes to stuff like programming and CAD. Apple hardware is hit-or-miss. Macintosh computers would be great if they lowered the price to about about 60% what the current MSRP for them is. If you got it for free or a steep discount, you won’t lose any sleep over it being your only laptop.

Check if your mac is getting the Ventura update. Each major release (as in named release, like high sierra or big sur) gets security updates for about 3 years. If you think apple is gonna ditch giving you updates sooner than you'd like then maybe trade it in for an m1/m2 mac.
Maybe upgrade your hard drive to an SSD. It is a little involved reformatting and reinstalling macos compared to windows or linux so follow guides very carefully if you do.
Be sure to enable three-finger drag for easy dragging and take you time getting used the keyboard shorcuts and touchpad gestures. The settings are also a bit messy, they hide common shit under accessibility for some reason
Some cool features on macos are using an ipad as a second screen (both over cable and wirelessly) and setting hot corners so if you put your mouse in a corner of the screen you choose you can get it to initiate some action you like.
Get iina (a media player) it is based on mpv and remembers the last played position of your media and runs on m1 and intel.
If you have an iphone you can reply to message from your mac.
Pretty much all major software runs on mac though i heard autocad doesn't work so well.
Last thing you might notice is closing a window doesn't always completely close a program, it closes the window only and leaves part of the program running so you can still see the program running in the top menu bar. Generally it is cmd+w to close a window and cmd+q to actually quit. You have to do cmd+q in chrome to get it to remember the tabs upon re-opening. cmd+w in chrome closes a tab btw, not the window, another strange behaviour.
macs really are a bit strange but I put up with them and learned to work with its quirks mainly because they allow you to turn off automatic updates unlike windows, and compared to linux they are much much more stable which is important to me because i use my mac for work (web dev)

My man. The i5 is great still, and yeah, retina displays are gorgeous. My two recommended pieces of software are smcFanControl which will allow you to build custom fan profiles. I use this to up my minimum fan speed when plugged in to give it more of a buffer under heavy workloads. Hell I even use it on my Mac Pro when bouncing a huge track. If your code compiling takes a lot out of the CPU, I'd recommend it to prevent any throttling. Second software is LuLu firewall. Natively you can't prevent applications from sending outbound connections (I have absolutely no idea why), but with LuLu, you can control what phones home. Useful as a poor man's GlassWire since there's no Mac version out yet. Only other thing I can think of is to apply new thermal paste to the CPU. Plenty of tutorials out there. And trust me, after 10 years of work, that paste is gonna be crusty. Your machine will run much cooler and more efficiently afterward.

Of course, all suggestions. If you had any questions about MacOS or kinds of software, I hope I can help you out.

Hit or miss once the butterfly generations was unsheathed. However they're covered under a warranty from Apple, and if you can prove that more than a couple keys are misbehaving (free keyboard replacement), *or* that your keys AND battery are on the fritz, they'll give you an entire top case replacement for $211 USD incl. tax which means a brand new touch bar, keyboard, trackpad, and battery.

From my experience, their hardware is top notch otherwise. Built to withstand years of work and do it happily. Plus you can bring your computer directly to an Apple store instead of shipping it out to a repair facility.

t. Just had this done on a mbp a client no longer wanted because of a bulging battery.

>Some cool features on macos are using an ipad as a second screen

My one strange complaint is that sidecar doesn't work for me. I have absolutely no idea why. Not that I need it, but it's the one feature that doesn't "just work" in my experience.

Does VLC not save last played position? It does on my phone but I haven't used it on my computer for anything besides checking an encoding in a while.

Otherwise good stuff here man.

ventura requires a 2017 MBP or newer, user said here that his mac is from 2013, and even if someone like dosdude1 makes a patcher for it it's probably gonna run like shit

Been using this since 2012, works perfectly sadly no more major updates just security updates.

Attached: 485DF72E-F227-4788-83D6-806F51616EF5.jpg (1600x972, 107.82K)