/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>UPGRADE & BUILD ADVICE
Post build list or current specs including MONITOR: pcpartpicker.com/
Provide specific use cases (e.g. video editing, competitive gaming, streaming etc.)

>NEWS
AMD Zen4 - 2H 2022
Intel Arc desktop GPU delayed forever

>RECOMMENDED FORM FACTOR
ATX is the standard choice, alternatively ITX or even MATX

>RECOMMENDED CPUs
HTPC(4K60)/Web Browsing: i3 10105
Budget Gaming: R5 5500, i3 12100/F
Gaming: R5 5600/X, i5 12400F
High FPS Gaming: R7 5800X3D
Multicore: R9 5900X, i7 12700F

>RECOMMENDED GPU PERFORMANCE LEVEL
Budget 1080p: RX 6500 XT w/ PCIe 4.0 PCs, used GTX 1060 3GB, RX 470/570 4GB
1080p: RX 6600
1440p: RX 6700 XT, RTX 3070
2160p: RX 6800 XT, RX 6900 XT, RTX 3080

>MINIMUM RAM
2x 8GB DDR4 3200/3600 CL16

>RECOMMENDED RAM
4x 8GB DDR4 3200/3600 CL16 or 2x 16GB DDR4 3200/3600 CL16

>RECOMMENDED COOLERS
linustechtips.com/topic/891730-cpu-cooler-performance-tier-list/

>RECOMMENDED PSUs
Silver+ from Seasonic, Superflower, Corsair, EVGA (aim for 75% of total PC power)
cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

>RECOMMENDED SSDs
ssd.borecraft.com/

>MOTHERBOARD INFO:
AM4 B550/X570 - CPU-less BIOS flash feature advisable if pairing with Zen 3
overclock.net/threads/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards.1624051/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yPS3hj_K7EPT4RBWCyjdKNP56pnwDz-IgBc0975-FUg

>RECOMMENDED MONITORS
rtings.com/monitor/
pcmonitors.info/
displayninja.com/buying-guide/

Previous:

Attached: computer rat.jpg (490x850, 68.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xZHNyK
pcpartpicker.com/list/7XVYW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what's the cheapest cpu i can combine with a gtx 1080 that won't be bottlenecked if i'm trying to play most games 1080p at 60fps?

5600 or 12400F

>Intel delays everything again

I'm upgrading my cpu and mobo. Are these good for 3d modeling/animation? I'm waiting until the 4000s to upgrade my gpu and psu.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xZHNyK

can anyone save me time by explaining the difference between workstation CPUs and GPUs (like xeon and quadro) and the other ones (like core iX and RTX/GTX)?
what tasks are each optimized for?

from my uninformed position it seems like core iX and GTX are more one size fits all and can be used for productivity tasks as well as gaming but im not certain whether i could also use a machine with workstation parts to game.

Is Hdr a meme?

on normal monitors, yes
on oled or miniled, no, its awesome.

12400 or 12600 for video editing?

What's better for 64GB RAM
2x32 or 4x16?

12700, non-k

Building a new PC for use with Arch Linux, and using that as a hypervisor for a Windows 10 Gaming VM and a MacOS VM strictly for Premiere Pro, and also using Arch for general use (Web browsing, vidya, media, etc.) Here is the parts list: pcpartpicker.com/list/7XVYW4

I understand my use case is a little specific and that there will be criticism with my choice of certain parts, so I will explain them here
>CPU
Need the iGPU for the VMs and 11th Gen is very cheap now anyhow. However, if you can find something better I'm open to that.
>Drives/Optical Drive
They are all gutted from old builds and I didn't feel like spending extra money on the complete meme that is PCIe 4.0, even if 11th gen is capable of it.

For the optical drive, again, gutted from an old build and I plan to use it with my CD and DVD collection so I can consooooooom without wasting storage on my PC.
>Case
I know it's really expensive but I WILL be utilizing absolutely every feature it has, and don't mind spending extra. Plus, it'll be fun to build in
>Monitors
Plan to use the 1440p for vidya, 4k one also for some vidya and all media and web browsing.

Anyways, this whole thing just barely fits within my budget taken into account buying used and reusing parts from old PCs, so no room for 12th gen intel unfortunately. Hit me with your best shot anons, I'm looking for criticism.

Xeons are often clocked lower but have more I/O, more cores, ECC support (not actually a differentiator anymore with DDR5), and are rated to run at full throttle for years on end. You do that with a desktop Intel chip and it'll melt. With AMD, the difference is raw size - more cores, more threads, more PCIe, bigger sockets. For GPUs, the workstation/server stuff is differentiated mostly by certification. They cost more money and have special drivers because the vendor promises they won't glitch out and teach your AI model to say nigger by mistake. They also still exist in single-slot form because of the way server cooling works in datacenter racks.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/7XVYW4

-replace the cpu with 12700, non-k
-replace mobo with b660(ddr4 not ddr5 capable)
-replace gpu with 3060ti/3070. since you're not gaming on linux, no reason to go amd
-replace case with modern mesh front affair, get an external enclosure for your optical drive.
also learn how to torrent ffs.
imagine having to look through a cd/dvd collection.
imagine watching media in dvd quality.
its tyool 1999+23, user.
-the monitor picks are suprisingly based. perhaps consider the benq ew3270u, will be alot better for media than your current 4k pick.

Sorry, forgot to specify
I will be using Arch for gaming, so I think I'll stick with AMD, even if Nvidia is technically better. (Parts availability is also a factor) However, I very much appreciate your other recommendations and I'll take them into account. Will def have to research B660 and 12th Gen more. Thanks user.

>I will be using Arch for gaming, so I think I'll stick with AMD
if so, then ya, amd for sure
but i saw you mentioned a windows 10 gaming VM?
will be doing both?

any ryzen 5 even first gen, my 1600 is still going strong and does fine on the majority of games at 120fps

I installed 3200mhz ram in my PC. It says "Max Bandwidth DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)" in Speccy. Does that mean my ram is not functioning at its max mhz?

did you enable xmp?

Is your mobo compatible with 3200Mhz?

depends on your mobo.
Daisy chain ram slots does better with 2 sticks
T topology ram slots does better with 4 sticks
there's also speed and single rank vs dual rank

Yes

Stop using speccy.
Task Manager in Windows shows should the rated speed under memory.

Yes, Windows 10 for games that don't work under Proton. There are an awful lot of games in my Steam library that, even though they're singleplayer, don't even work well lmao.

Will be using the Windows 10 VM for those, as well as games with anti-cheat that I can get working under a VM, even though I don't play many.

it says 3200mhz in task manager. What is a better alternative?

>lower clocks, more cores
okay, now i know what to research for the advantages of this in hardware
>more I/O
im guessing for use with special lab equipment or something possibly among other things
>full throttle for years on end
i see. so like industrial grade for server use as one scenario.
>special drivers
okay i guess i would know the full potential of using different drivers if i actually had a use case for it but its good to be clued into it
>certifications
okay, so almost like an IP waterproofing rating sorta. a guarantee that it's fit for a particular task

thanks for the info

Hwinfo64

hwinfo, cpu-z for system info
hwmonitor for live statistics

don't use hwmonitor just use HWinfo or RTSS/Afterburner.

Attached: 1637747340873.png (778x21, 1.45K)

>im guessing for use with special lab equipment or something possibly among other things
No just because servers have a LOT of PCIe peripherals. You can fit like 80 NVMe drives on one box.

DDR is double data rate. Take 1600 and double it and you get 3200 which is the rated speed. check the timings if they match with the label as well.