RISC-V

Do you care about open source hardware? I don't see RISC-V being a major competitor to x86 in terms of performance in the near future but what Intel cpu's performance would it have to match for you to be interested in getting one? Pic related is the Allwinner D1 which can run both Debian and Fedora

Attached: 20220610_204131.jpg (1080x1778, 234.56K)

Post the mobo too.

>Do you care about open source hardware?
How will you verify that the chip you receive is manufactured exactly according to the specs and does not include backdoors or secret instructions?

Cam on, OP, do I really have to Google it myself now?

Attached: vlqnRuG.gif (321x223, 1.99M)

I don't see it matching x86 either, at least not anywhere in the next decade, but if it kicks ARM's shit in, that'll at least be a positive development.

I think that's a very good question/concern. Let's assume that a company provided schematics of the die and released all source code under a GPLv3 liscense (I know it's unlikely this will happen) how fast would it have to be for you to be interested in it?

Attached: 20220612_190342.jpg (1080x1920, 288.57K)

>how fast would it have to be for you to be interested in it?
I would be most interested in doing barebone programming, it wouldn't have to be very fast.

Kek, "tested maximum was 256 Gb."
Not bad, might check it out some time.
Seems like it could replace powerful ARM and MIPS processors in more complex embedded settings, like image acquisition and routers.

Attached: 1648169039640.jpg (218x228, 21.98K)

I'm curious what's stopping you from just using an fpga then if you're interested in barebone programming?

>barebone
I meant bare metal.

For sure, but how fast would it have to be for you to want it for personal use as a laptop or desktop instead of an embedded use case

Cost.

Isn't FPGA programming totally different from bare metal programming on a CPU?

That'll come with time, it needs to get a foothold first, once there's an industry already somewhat familiar with RISC, the entry barrier to consumer will drop as well.

This is also what interests me about clockwork pi. I am debating buying the 3.14 board and a few of the core modules and stuffing them inside a Ready 100. That way I could experiment with bare metal in several architectures.

Attached: sample_06d6762b0ddbc8e027f4e7057a968331.jpg (850x1043, 470.27K)

That's fair. The allwinner d1 board is definitely cheaper than a lot of fpgas

Lots of people have risc-v implementations on fpga so I figured you could have a basically bare metal experience already

I figured that a truly open risc-v laptop implementation wouldn't really appeal to general consumers but more to privacy/security oriented people

I work in embedded, but have never used an FPGA, you need them when you have high-bandwidth complex processing of data, such as image and video processing, they become relevant once you need to start to use an "actual" CPU, in which case they become competitive pricewise or even better performing, since you could view an FPGA as a programmable ASIC.

I see. Don't know much about FPGAs to be honest, but I always thought they're about designing the actual circuit, which I'm less interested in.

That sounds pretty cool user

whats stopping me from putting one of those cheap risc-v boards inside an old thinkpad

I think that we need more open hardware but new software ideas, i'm tired of x new hardware + linux, where are the autists trying to do something different

Honestly that's what I was kind of trying to get at with the question in the OP. Having a fully open risc-v thinkpad type setup would be great

Here's to hoping current geopolitical tensions might jumpstart RISC-V in China, Russia and maybe India.
If you ask me, all non-US government and military PCs should be running Linux with RISC-V, no exceptions. That's a giant market, often with low performance requirements (office work), if that is established, the private consumer market is just a stone's throw away.
Pssst, don't let FAGMAN, Intel, AMD or the US government know I told you this.

Attached: 1645749773674.jpg (334x506, 42.28K)

New software ideas in what way? Like for the kernel or for programs in general?

Here's to hoping that will happen user!

Everything, new ways of programming, new kernels, programs, user interfaces, etc. We made progress with free software, we are not entirely dependent on some big company to provide computer and software to us, we should see more things that don't need to be comercially viable

>Lots of people have risc-v implementations on fpga
That's basically programming an FPGA to be a general purpose RISC-V CPU, it's more for research and tinkering purposes, less for practical applications.
Unsurprising, since RISC-V CPUs are still rare, if I'm not mistaken.