/sqt/ – Stupid Questions Thread

*Satanic edition*
Read the sticky: >GNU/Linux questions >Windows questions >PC building? >Programming questions >Good, cheap laptops >Cheap electronics >Server questions >Buying headphones How to find/activate any version of Windows?
rentry.org/installwindows

Previous thread:

Attached: 1655059856701.jpg (1080x1267, 154.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/7n6h0r.torrent
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What version of windows should I install for my dual boot system, if I only ever plan on using it for gaming (which I can't do Linux)? because I use Linux for everything else

Windows 7

>ordered 2 of those @ $12 each
>order got cancelled
fml

Win10 AME. They're at 21H1 now.

files.catbox.moe/7n6h0r.torrent
Username: user pwd: malte

repost cos i caught the end of the last one before it timed out

I'm getting a new laptop this week. I've never bought a laptop before instead getting hand me downs. I know i need to get rid of all the bloatware and stuff but i have questions:
1: i want a 1tb drive not a 512g one- should i just swap it immediately or sort evrything out and then clone the drive
2: is there a way i can have different profiles. i currently have a seperate laptop for music/djing but i want to do everything on my new one. But I have the other one 'optimised' for music/latency etc. Is there a way to set that up - diff user names/booting
3: i'd like to try linux - am i better to make that as a VM, or as a dual boot thing?
4: anything else i should do to make it better/safer/whatever (in b4 thinkpad)

thank you

Attached: 1614007819641.gif (500x625, 1.78M)

It seems to me that my ISP is throttling youtube. It takes about a minute to even start playing a video, then when it does, its low quality for about another minute. I have a VPN that stops this, but then I can't use the VPN to post on Any Forums without a pass. Funny thing is, its only throttled on my desktop, not my TV, phone, or ipad.
Basically I'm asking if your ISP can throttle specific devices on your local network, and is there a way to get around this? I'm just tired of switching my VPN on and off to either watch videos, or post. Without buying a pass of course.

You actively want to purge everything they come with. Check the manual to make sure it's relatively easy to swap out the drives. It can be a huge pain in the ass on some models now. You can do separate profiles in windows, I don't see an adequate reason why you'd want to. Nothing you install should be enough to fuck with "latency".

Dualbooting is a pain in the ass. This can motivate you to spend more time in linux, but usually you just end up avoiding your alt boot entirely.

Aren't you that dude that switched browsers and it just werked?

Use DPI blocking so your ISP can't even block websites, let alone throttle it.

thank you
>You actively want to purge everything they come with.
yep, i will do.
>Check the manual to make sure it's relatively easy to swap out the drives
its the stick one, so i think its ok - its the only thing you can change..
> You can do separate profiles in windows, I don't see an adequate reason why you'd want to. Nothing you install should be enough to fuck with "latency".
so it might be cos my old laptop is a...an old laptop. but for example i dj, if i have wifi on it plays up. if i do stuff in Reason same thing. the new laptop is an i7 11th gen and i'll have 16gb ram - so presumably that won be an issue?

Can you do a anything with old electronic garbage?
Like old keyboards with missing keys, many chargers, old broken smartphones?

My NAS has 4 hard drives in a RAID5 configuration with around 10tb out of 16 tb used. I want to install a new OS (its still running centOS 8) on the separate SSD, but I'm paranoid I'll lose the data in the RAID. I don't have enough storage to make a backup of the data. Is it as simple as installing the new OS then remounting the RAID or are there more steps involved?

Attached: 6a00d83421046653ef0168e595c464970c.jpg (450x338, 61.93K)

This thingy fell out of my laptop. What is it?

Attached: thingy.png (377x217, 135K)

Recs for trade school laptop? Thinkpad still the standard?

>if i have wifi on it plays up
Yeah no that's not normal. It never hurts to check what's starting at boot and disable any programs you don't want running all the time. But I wouldn't expect anything like that.

>anything else i should do to make it better/safer/whatever (in b4 thinkpad)
Make sure your browser has ublock origin. Check the OP for how to get education edition for free. Also chocolatey is really rad for installing programs.

Why do you have raid but no backup? That's how shit goes up in flames.

What format is the RAID in? Motherboard fakeRAID, DM, LVM, ZFS, ...?

I bought a T470, totally fine with it. I must say, the Intel 8000 CPUs are MUCH faster than the 7000 series. Bought this model because of the removable battery, but I also bought a T480 for a colleague. That shit is so much faster.

So yeah, Thinkpads, but get the more recent ones. Even if it means sacrificing some battery life.

Here you take them to like the local city dump where they check your ID and there are garbage people around to tell you where to drop this and that kind of trash. pretty easy but needs a car of course.

Because I am a noob and asking from the stupid questions thread. Any data that is vitally important I do have backups of but recovering all the 10tb I could potentially lose would be an enormous headache.
It is software RAID. I used mdadm to create it years ago.