/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: pens.jpg (768x516, 49.11K)

you know what, fuck linux. I tried everything and the fucking thumbnails don't show up, fuck this fucking shit OS, I'm going back to windows and I'll never try this piece of shit of an OS again, fuck this shit

Bye user.

In principle I think GTK not having thumbnails in the file chooser is retarded, but when I see the kind of people who complain about it, I understand why they leave it that way.

Why is my newly formatted drive 200GB full?
>created new gpt table, single new partition
>format to ext4
>nemo says that 200GB of the drive is in use
>try to reduce reserved size
>still the same amount in use
>df claims only 1% of the drive is in use but then lists that only 3.8 of 4TB is available, i.e. 200GB used or ~5%

Attached: file.png (1481x989, 228.61K)

i think thats a good decision, user. the year of the linux desktop will grace us one day, but not today.

This is lf, you might not like it but this is the peak form of linux supremacy. I have the thumbnails, and I can make these "thumbs" as big as YHWH's thumbs!

Attached: pic-selected-220613-0059-38.png (1124x729, 708.18K)

I'm expecting user is talking about getting something like Firefox to show thumbnails in it's file picker, which is as easy as running GTK_USE_PORTAL="1" firefox & exit in a terminal while having xdg-desktop-portal and the xdg-desktop-portal-kde/gtk packages. Or you could even just make a launcher file so you don't even need to open a terminal.

I've tried everything and the fucking thumbnails don't show up. why is this shit gonna happen to me? everyone else has thumbnails why the fuck only I don't get them?
fuck linux

how do I get these packages?

Download them with your package manager. Do you know what a package manager is.

What thumbnails? Where? In which program? QT or GTK? What file browser? Are you trying to see thumbnails on firefox file picker?

I think we're dealing with a newbie.

Or just engage your front brain and realize you can drag and drop from thumbnail view in the file manager.

I'm a noob, don't know how things work on linux
>What thumbnails? Where? In which program? QT or GTK? What file browser? Are you trying to see thumbnails on firefox file picker?
images thumbnails when I try to upload a picture somewhere. If I open the file manager by itself I can see the thumbnails, but not when trying to upload them somewehere. I'm using brave as my browser
how can I do it

>how can I do it
Stop masturbating, buy one of those Alex Jones water filters
>I'm using brave as my browser
Gay fauxpen source scamware. Stop.

Literally what said. Get those packages installed then run that terminal command but replace firefox with brave.

what command should I run to get the packages?

user we don't know what distro you're running.

kubuntu

sudo apt install xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-kde
Then log out and back in.

The answer of that user must've mixed your problem, so I think you need to fix other two issues.
One is your webbrowser, the other one is blaming linux for your actions. You're correct btw, literally everyone has a working linux setup.

Attached: pic-window-220613-0117-40.png (1130x828, 192.99K)

>Swap to Wayland
>MPV has weird frame flickers in fullscreen mode
Anyone else experienced? I'm experimenting with my config but thought I'd ask since I'm noticing more and more quirks and usually it's some variation of
>lol yeah wayland does that