From a technical standpoint, why do electronics become slower over time?

From a technical standpoint, why do electronics become slower over time?
Why does my decade old Galaxy is so laggy now although it was pretty fast when I bought it?
It applies both to tech that was in constant use and to tech that was turned off and stashed somewhere.

Attached: HTC-Desire-200.jpg (1000x562, 84.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sKy-SCeP4Jk?t=320
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because software and websites are bloated to shit.

Because I touch myself at night.

I can think of 2 reasons;
1. Newer apps can afford to be more bloated due to improvements in underyling technology.
2. Your expectations for speed have increased because you consume more high dopamine media and you want it fast fast fast. So old phones seem to be slower because of your degenerated brain.

Prolly both

They don't become slower, you just had a first gen product that is now so outdated that you could laugh a out it
I mean take a 150$ chink phone and it will have 10x the ram these shit boxes had and probably 20x the processing power, android naturally adapted to this but the phone didn't
Plus you always have a bias, remember how you thought final fantasy looked on the PS1 as a kid and how it looked when you actually pull out screenshots?
Shit was always slow, but at least on the old android it wasn't hanky in the menue

youtu.be/sKy-SCeP4Jk?t=320
Look, HTC Desire does like 5 to 10 fps. I remember my classmate had one, and it had smooth animations.

Just like you remember old games having really good graphics?

Shit, people like you make me regret not recording everything for the evidence like a schizo.

Might have read about some
temporary-memory-address-cache about a memory-address-cache-cache somewhere.
But how can I know who sees in there

>Reg. almost newfag

Like I said it could it was probably smooth but the next android version that came out a year later when phones hat 4 times the processing fucked it over
If you want to see the devices original stock performance look up your device and unboxing, they usually play around with it a bit

They still do, it's called soul

It's a phone from first half of 2010s, it never got any updates.
My Galaxy was mid-range and it got 2 updates, 1 Mb each.

it's called "fee fee I can't explain because it's a schizophrenic delusion"

>soulless heartless npc and proud of it

Silicon degrades over time.
Anyways, my nine year old phone is still smooth on its last software update, because it's not Android or iOS.

Wirth's law states that every time Moore's law multiplies the transistor count, the software efficiency falls to accomodate it. By interpreting this, we can come to the conclusion that even though transistor count goes up, our current device doesn't change in hardware therefore can not keep up with the fall of efficiency in software development. A great example would be Electron apps and their bloated sizes.

Attached: 1653420451901.jpg (225x225, 9.83K)

1) Software bloat (reformat/reinstall to fix it)
2) Change in expectation (its like going from 60 hz refreshrate to 144 hz refresh rate, you began to see the difference that you missed out on)

One situation where the hardware might actually become objectively slower is due to storage flash memory degradation, which can happen either if they've been in use or if they've been stashed for years. And since these old phones had so little ram, I guess they might actually do swapping to flash.
Other than that, in my experience old hardware doesn't become slower. Unless they've been in use and either had software updates with more bloat and higher CPU and RAM usage, or are in need of a good cache / garbage cleanup.

While physical degradation does cause performance loss in some ways (thermal issues, batteries producing less charge for a phone to work with without shutting down) the biggest reason is that you are running more and more bloated and inefficient software as time goes on.

If you take a computer, install a version of software on it, remove it from the internet it will be performing about the same ten years from now as it does now maybe slightly slower.

The first apps on the phone were designed for its hardware. So everything was relatively lightweight and snappy. The last versions of apps supported on legacy devices were really made for the next devices. Same with the OS. So at the end of the day everything starts to chug on your S5s and whatnot. Then theres companies like Apple that do it deliberately and kill your battery at the software level.

>Why does my decade old Galaxy is so laggy now although it was pretty fast when I bought it?
If you tried to install Windows XP from 2001 on a computer from 1991, how well do you think it would run? You've asked the same thing but with a smartphone from 2012 and a build of Android from 2022.

>android 10 years ago
>lagging piece of shit
>android now
>lagging piece of shit
I still use it because it's still marginally more free than ios but come on, every bit of moore's law is eclipsed by this dogshit softwares race to the bottom.

They don't. My SII is still as fast with a factory reset and original Android, being in the drawer for years.

No idea what shit cheap phones people buy to have that experience. Even a cheap Xiaomi will be snappier than iPhones, which isn't hard of course, specially if the iPhone is 2 years old and new one released with new iOS update.