How did boomers learning path of programing go?

Hi recently turned 18 so I can post on here now
As a Zoomer I Never understood how you actually learn programing nowadays I've seen the commodore 64/vic-20 and the apple II and etc and back then it seems so simple you get your computer read the book it comes with and learn but i can't really have that sort of experience nowadays so
1. how did you people (terry davis-ish generation) go from commodore 64 experiments to modem programing and know asm ,c ,c++ ,etc
2. whats the closest thing to learning that style nowadays?

Attached: 1505639943958[1].jpg (880x600, 183.34K)

>buy commodore 64, read a book, program
>buy a latptop, read a book/watch a tutorial, program
doesn't sound too different, no?

He graduated with a bachelirs in computer science in the 80s

you can't really find programing books nowadays at least not in local stores,Delivery isn't really an option when you live in a small town/village

I more or less want to know how you people went from basic straight to asm and c making machine level programs and operating systems so quickly

>how did you people (terry davis-ish generation) go from commodore 64 experiments to modem programing and know asm ,c ,c++ ,etc
they usually started out with rote repetition. often manually typing in tools or games from computer magazines. the thing is, if you already know one language, syntactically learning others isn't that hard.

>whats the closest thing to learning that style nowadays?
i guess doing the same, but from youtube videos or something, but i recommend resources which quizzes you on the end of each chapter like sololearn or bjarne stroustrups c++ books. when you have an okay grasp of your language of choice, do a project in it. starting out don't bother with a fully fledged IDE, it's way to overwhelming for someone who's still in the fizzbuzz stage. it's important that you fail and fail fast with immediate feedback, godbolt.org is a great tool for that and embodies what i mean by this.

Ok Zoomer, here's what you do:
>Go to tpg
>Find out what you get (I'd go with a T480 or T580)
>Get a thinkpad
>Get some Math books, Linear Algebra and shit
>Git gud in math
>Buy Kernighan & Ritchie's C programming language
>Buy Modern C by Jens Gustedt
>Git gud in C
From then on, you'll know your own way.
Everyone is going to shit on me for telling you to learn C, but there is a reaaon. You should learn how a computer work in general and if you're dedicated how your target machine (e.g. x86 for the T480 or arm for your phone) works under the hood if you want to be more than a mere street --- err webshitter. The reason why we have so much shit programs and everything is because people learn with ultra high languages and never get to see the privates of what a compiler or alu is actually doing behind the scenes. C is one of the lowest "high level" languages, it doesn't hide how a cpu works behind the scenes and how fucking autistic computers actually are. It'll also motivate you to use the proper algorithms for every cause which leads us to the single most important thing: Algorithms and Datastructures. Learn them or get fucked.

Good Luck, and remember, you're here forever. Hope you lost your v-card before you came here, because now you won't get a chance.

>1. how did you people (terry davis-ish generation) go from commodore 64 experiments to modem programing and know asm ,c ,c++ ,etc
They grew up together with technology. It was a part of their generational experience. They acquired a big chunk of the knowledge through osmosis. Sure, they had to put in quite a bit of effort (like graduating from college), but from their perspective, everything came in bite-size chunks.
>2. whats the closest thing to learning that style nowadays?
the direction you might be looking for is getting familiar with simple microcontrollers, or at least arduinos. So embedded programming in general
the trick is there are at least a few other paths

Pic related. You made me get up and post this shit. I'l post more
>So you want to talk on Any Forums
tier books.

Attached: 1590089080192.png (1816x2944, 2.08M)

arduinos are cool and all but if you really want to learn assembly you will mod sonic from sega genesis.

Attached: 1599479815524.jpg (900x2134, 437.65K)

Some are obvious memes. Try to find out which :^)

Attached: 1589305271467.png (865x1645, 1.26M)

Attached: 1614111587939 1594449185579.png (1840x2052, 2.85M)

>so you want to post on g

Attached: NVIDIA-vs-AMD-GPUs.jpg (1200x675, 49K)

>go from commodore 64 experiments to modem programing and know asm ,c ,c++ ,etc
the secret trick is that all programming languages are different approaches of simplifying a specific mathematical model, and when you understand the model and the abstractions learning a new language is trivial

Attached: Squid_Girl_Ikamusume_recommends_SICP.jpg (1280x720, 188.45K)

Things are different these days. OS developers have conspired to create a façade that hides the backend of what the computer is up to. The C64 let you do anything, even if it meant crashing your environment. The C64 basically booted into a shell, too, where you could just start programming. There aren't really any mainstream counterparts. You could take a look at niche stuff like Hundred Rabbits' Uxn (Google it). But it's a toy.

If you asked me, I'd tell you that the fewer steps between nothing and a hello world, the better. Some programming environments are absolute clusterfucks, but others are a lot more ergonomic. Lua (or Fennel) has a great environment that gets you up and running really fast. Rust also has slick tooling, but some Any Forums people would tell you that Rust doesn't teach you the right way. Whatever the right way is, who knows.

you can't

Attached: 1654510339156.png (780x1192, 86.28K)

You're never going to follow in their footsteps because they paved their own path and you're literally asking for the opposite.

That list is retarded.

It posts the fucking LANGUAGE MANUAL FOR C as a "good book to learn programming", what a fucking joke.

First learn the basics in Python.
Then you learn data structures in C.
Then learn complexity analysis and algorithm proving.
Next you learn some functional language.
Also sprinkle in some basic algebra and statistics.

Gratz you are now a perfectly competent midwit programmer. At this point you know more than enough to find your own path on what to learn next.

Plz no bully I'm old

>recieve magazine in the mail
>magazine contains BASIC code and 6502 assembly
>type code from magazine into computer
>get game of other useful utility
>learn basic and some assembly by osmosis
>go to math class
>basic code in the textbook if you want to see the concepts demonstrated
>go to CS lab and type in code from book
>play with it to experiment with concept from book
>go to highschool
>actual programming class
>start with BASIC transition to C
>go to college and learn more C and the Unix environment
>learn OS development studying Unix kernel source

tl;dr: paper was cheaper than disk space so you if you liked computers you typed up about a million lines of code with a good deal of it being assembly before you graduated highschool.

Attached: azmsrndflbq21.jpg (211x239, 8.41K)

reimplementing a game everytime you wanna play it huh?

Essentially yes. There were also cases where the magazine code had (unintentional) bugs you had to repair to get it to run or it came with code for the wrong machine so you had to port it to yours.

beautiful
i started with a pascal handbook on a i486DX2-66 that i mostly ignored and really got into stuff with the q3a sdk, so i'm definitely not anywhere near OP, but also not as deep as you
any outstanding bugs or mods you came across or wrote from those times?