What are Any Forums's thoughts on PCMCIANSAFBIABCCBSCNNLGBTQIABBQLMAOWTF+ cards?

What are Any Forums's thoughts on PCMCIANSAFBIABCCBSCNNLGBTQIABBQLMAOWTF+ cards?

Attached: pcmciaBIG.jpg (650x501, 42.66K)

SD is all you need.

one luxury PCMCIA to SD adapter for you sir

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x1000, 109.44K)

>SD cards and USB-C
Truly the WD-40 and duct tape of the modern computing era.

not a bad idea if it was a 5.25 bay for a desktop instead. there's only so much you can do with that form factor in a laptop. i put usb 3.0 port card in my thinkpad r400. don't know what else i could do with it.

I used a laptop with a PCMCIA Ethernet card about 20 years ago. It used the flimsiest fucking dongle you've ever seen. It makes Apple shit look well engineered. I broke at least a couple of them every year.

Attached: s-l1000-306535991.jpg (956x500, 203.95K)

I used to have a PCMCIA Wifi card in the early 2000's.
It was good at the time.

I don't understand why these dongles never used something like the breakaway cables on old Xbox controllers or magsafe connectors. I would be afraid of even touching my laptop with one of these plugged in. It's just asking to be snapped off.

Attached: 71694RFF56L._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_PIStarRatingTHREEANDHALF,BottomLeft,360,-6_SR600,315_ZA12,445,290,400,400,AmazonEmberBold,12,4,0,0,5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255,255,255.png (600x315, 93.9K)

PCM CIA????

The glowiest of adapters.

PC
MAKERS
CAN'T
INTO
ACRONYMS

Hold on let me click the post button with my PCMCIA mouse.

Attached: 64C30F10-7D5A-4C9D-B2CD-71BD70D7FE8C.gif (250x145, 23.53K)

Not a thing nowadays, due to everything being soldered/integrated, and due to USB/Lightning being enough for almost every external devices.
But in its time, it was a good option for extending capabilities on-demand, i guess.
digits confirm, check'em

Attached: 1653537458993.jpg (480x633, 43.01K)

I only owned a single laptop that supported them and only used it to add a second Ethernet port, which could just as easily have been done with a USB dongle.

I really wanted them to be a good idea, I'm a sucker for modular bays, but once USB became a thing, those expansion cards only really made sense for stuff like RAM or HDD upgrades, which compared unfavourably with SODIMM and M2 sockets.

I did really want one of these though.

I guess a battery pack might have made sense, but port standards that have to both source and sink nontrivial currents haven't ended well in the past.

Attached: 8154e4f4-ac3f-48ee-ab06-cd4940abbf8b_insert-expansioncard-yellow.gif.png (1448x1656, 2M)

I use a USB 3 ExpressCard, but other then that haven't had a need for them

They were more useful during the 90s back when your only other options were serial/parallel ports and bulky-ass docking stations. And for some reason you rarely saw SCSI ports on laptops outside of Apple PowerBooks.

Checked
Looking back, I did use a laptop with a PCMCIA Netgear wireless g card and damn did it seem to get reception anywhere.
It was even mostly alright with picking up a signal when at the neighbors house if you found the right spot.

Modern WIFI seemingly can't compete, although I have a distinct feeling that's more to do with the noise floor having been jacked up an order of magnitude in the last 15 years

I thought this was GameBoy cartrdiges
Imagine my deception

pcm(CIA)
sounds pretty glowie

I vaguely remember using them but Express Cards that came afterwards were the fucking shit. I had a whole collection of cards although now I only have my USB 3.0 adaptor left that sits in my old Latitude. Also got an external PCIe adaptor from chinkexpress that I played around with for a while until it caught fire.
Can't wait until TB unfucks itself.

>It was good at the time.
I remember using a wifi card back then. The hardware seemed pretty good, but the drivers were always a bit dodgy.

>dongles
Peasants.

Attached: XJACK.jpg (600x450, 34.26K)

Pretty based if you like to fuck around with old 90s/early 00s laptops.