Unity vs Unreal for game development

which one is better? I am currently a beginner and have a friend who already works in this industry (although not for that long) who keeps telling me Unity (C#) is not worth it and i shouldn't even bother with Unity and instead start with Unreal(C++).

I dont really care for the graphics part, since I'm more interested in doing my own work and make Indie games, so I would like to know which one is better for the game development alone.

Attached: 1572906956111.jpg (1280x400, 82.5K)

it doesnt matter. what you need is a fun game idea, or else your game will be just another "unity/unreal game" among the sea of irrelevant games

make a simple arcade game (pong, breakout, etc) in each and figure out which one you like

Making video games is such a huge endeavor that you'll never get anywhere near completion (unless you churn out complete crap) unless you have a huge team
Just give up

It doesn't matter, you're never going to do anything.

Godot, you can use both C# or C++

Definitely more jobs requiring Unity than Unreal. Government contracting and engineering firms use it like crazy.

I like Unity DOTS.

I would assume that more for design rather than game development though?

They both suck. Video games are one of the hardest and least rewarding things you can do. You're never going to finish a solo game in Unreal. Pick one and use it, it'll be 5-10 years before you make a game anyone else will want to play.

>"I'm a loser so you must be one too"
lmao absolute trash mentality - go fuck yourself, quitter.

Attached: lgh.png (713x611, 25.91K)

There is no "better". Both platforms have success. Try both of them, and get a feel of what fits better your needs/style

Very true

Good suggestion

He has a point. You have to get ready to get really devoted, if you want to achieve a real product

True

It is cool, but nowhere ready for amateur-level game making

Also VR for training medical, military, construction, etc. Also smaller studios use unity as the go to.

why the fuck you ask to this board instead to your friend on the """industry"""
fucking retard lol

enjoy having to wait 4 hours to compile in unreal just for test changes

Congratulations, your "friend" is either a liar or a colossal retard and can't put his biases down for five seconds to help you out.

real programmers would write their own engine using sdl in c++. if all you care about is the end product and not the journey/hobby then you are destined to churn out shit. that said if you’re not a programmer, unreal is objectively the better engine and the industry standard

this

unreal engine does onky one job.high fidelity graphics for aaa and console games. it sucks at anything else especially as a tool for indie devs. it lacks basic features that unity or gamemaker have

What's the difference between using C++ with libraries and say using a framework like Monogame and building from there.

Attached: wallPaper.jpg (1191x670, 110.24K)

It’s all relative to a hierarchy of interest. Engines are high level, frameworks lower, libraries lowest. Depending on how much interest you have in programming as a hobby, the lower down the hierarchy you should go. The specifics of which engine/framework/library/language is somewhat irrelevant.