I'm 30yo and would like to learn bass by myself.Is it too late for me? Do you need some "music talent"?

I'm 30yo and would like to learn bass by myself.Is it too late for me? Do you need some "music talent"?

Attached: fender-american-professional-ii-p-bass-mn-3tsb.jpg (1920x1920, 224.15K)

go for it, bass playing is easy. you can youube yourself to pro if you got just a little bit of talent

Nope. I played drums from the age of 9 to 18. I had to stop because I joined the Marines, and picked drums back up at like 26. I decided to go on youtube and look up some guitar tracks to drum to, but was all generic bullshit. So I decided I would teach myself guitar and just record my own riffs to play to.

I've been playing guitar now for like 3 years, and what I will tell you is, for the first year or so, you will quit a couple times for like a week, then come back to it if you really love it. You will have times of extreme frustration. You will have times that you question why you even started.

When it comes to theory, it will take quite a while before anything even starts making sense, unless you are just one of those people that just clicks with you. You wont really know a direction to go or what to practice or when and how. You will have to figure all that out the hard way like I did.

So this is why I suggest shopping around for a good teacher. Someone you vibe with. Someone you connect with that can make learning fun. That is fucking hard to find unfortunately.

Learning on your own is very hard and confusing, but a teacher can atleast point you in the right direction until you get to the point where you can teach yourself. Self education is important and can be fun in that aspect.

Just dont completely give up no matter how frustrated you get. Just have fun my man :)

Also I should add, I am a right handed person, but I play left handed guitars left handed. The right hand is my fretting hand and the left is my picking hand.

I also have a broken as FUCK pointer finger which really makes things hard for me in terms of chords and proper technique and moving around generally. so if I can do it and write decent riffs, YOU for sure can my friend.

My advice is to look into stuff that you wanna play or like to listen to and go from there. No point in learning a genre if it doesn't keep you hooked.

In terms of basics it's good to develop a proper technique. This will get you far and, after initially a bit more work, it'll pay off for life. When in doubt, learn from classical guitar players, though popular bassists tend to have better technique than guitarrists generally.

If you love funk, look up Victor Wooten.

Thank you guys for sharing. I think, I would like to start by myself to see how it goes. However, I feel little confused how I should start. Should I go right from the beginning with music theory? or try to learn some easy music tracks?

This guy gets it. Also, the market is flooded with equipment from all the shut-ins that tried to learn during the 'rona years. Guitar Center, Craigslist, etc. No need to buy new.

people let lil wayne play a guitar. no one will stop you

If you want to learn theory, learn literally the most basic things first, like where each note is on one string up and down the fretboard. Then learn a nother string - do this for all 4 strings.

Learn intervals between notes and the major scale in the key of C. Im nto sure if that transfers exactly to bass but in terms of theory, learn the absolute basics like that first. It will help in the long run when things start making sense.

I say youtube some of your favorite songs and see how they are playing or like a lesson. I would just learn your favorite riffs just to make it fun.

Nah literally just practice, even when you don’t feel like it. Practice. It’s the only way you’ll learn quickly

That’s a good idea honestly, look up tabs to songs you know and just start grinding it out

First thing I'd do is memorize all 12 semitones and your open strings (EADG). Have a picture of it somewhere in a place you see everyday (like beside your bed) so you constantly see it.

You'll also want to focus heavily on your technique when you first start off, take things VERY slowly. When you first start holding down the strings to play a note, make sure you hold the string down right beside the "frets" which are the metal markers on the bass guitar neck. This will really help get you playing so you're not constantly hitting bum notes.

Always play stuff you want to actually play first off, if you don't you'll lose interest very fast. Also, while learning through tabs makes things much easier, I highly suggest you start learning by ear as soon as you can. It's the most invaluable skill to have imo, and the one that splits the boys from the men.

is learning by ear a skill that you can actually learn?

If you’re dedicated and determined to learn then you definitely can. I’ve only been playing guitar for a year and a half and I’ve drastically improved because I put the time in whenever I can and try to play every day.

i suggest you all take your cocks out and take turns shoving them in my mouth

just learn real electric guitar. fuck that bass shit, you will be limited.

but to answer your question - no. you don't need a talent per se but you need to understand basic music theory and how guitar works. get a feel of it.
It's not something that's going to happen in a week or a month. Keep watching videos and practicing, learning different techniques.

30? No dude, but youre late at creating the calluses to make playing comfortable.
Learning muscle memory later at age also sucks so 30s is do or die

100% from personal experience and in seeing it from others.

I couldn't figure out a single damn thing by ear when I first played and didn't even attempt to until a few years later after I took a break from guitar. When I got back into playing, I still retained most of my skills and went into learning by ear as an experiment. I was very bad at first, but got better at it quite rapidly after a few weeks - months. I eventually learned stuff like the Mr. Crowley solo by ear (I started on guitar first).

Humble bragging aside, you can see why this is an invaluable skill to have. Because eventually you're not gonna have a guitar tab to learn everything, and you'll have to take things into your own hands. Start slow and very basic and build up. Once you eventually get it down, it's like learning how to ride a bike. You won't forget how to do it.

Dont ever go to Any Forums if you want a serious answer

Also to add, I recommend slowing a song down to help learn by ear as well, Youtube has a built in playback speed setting that helps with this. Generally if you can hum back a melody to yourself, you can translate it back to the instrument once you figure out where all your notes are.

Yet he got some actual good advise from some b/ros.