I want to make a comic/animated series...

I want to make a comic/animated series, I'm a good artist and I have tons of characters/jokes but I can't think of a good plot for the life of me, even if I did it'd probably be mediocre anyway

Attached: 17.jpg (2048x2048, 571.77K)

I have a plot that I would love animated but I can't give out my idea for free on Any Forums

prove youre a good artist

I dont want people to know I post on Any Forums

Your art isn't that recognizable, don't worry.

I have like 4k followers on twitter but even so, I'm paranoid

Read a book on screenwriting to figure out how to structure your story

What kind of stories do you like? Scifi? Fantasy? Slice of life? Consume a lot in the genre and think about what you'd like to see that doesn't exist or how you'd punch up or change stories you like and start mashing up.

Also yeah post your art

Ok, so whats the focus of your show? Is it comedy, romantic, to criticize something? Also, some generic bullshit like a friends in school/job is decent to start on, people usually give more importance to the characters rather that the plot

Yeah you can always base it on real life stuff; nonfiction comics do well, think about stories that happened to you and your friends and just elevate the drama/comedy/stakes and cut out the mundane stuff

Probably more like scifi, some sort of space/intergalactic aliens sort of thing

Check out Screenwriting by Syd Field or at least read the Dan Harmon Story Circle articles so you can figure out how to structure/outline your story

Think about your favorite space scifi -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar, Mass Effect, Expanse, Starship Troopers, something else? What's your favorite bits from each? Who are your favorite characters? What's a cool/interesting world and conflict? Is there anything in the real world (themes, values, history, politics, interpersonal relationships) that you can use as a basis or inspiration for the plot and story of your scifi epic?

I'm not really sure, my main concern is that I wouldn't be able to think of any actually interesting plot points, plot twists, etc that would make it stand out
It would just be another mediocre scifi

My advice would be to spend a lot of time writing. Designing and drawing take so much time, it's a lot easier to move stuff around in the writing stage. If you can put a good outline together first and then carve into the details you can refine, revise, iterate, and troubleshoot before you burn a lot of time drawing pages.

IMO if you can just get something down it's easier to edit and improve, whether it's writing or drawing. I can improve a bad script or bad art, but I gotta put something on the page first. Write a bad version and then think about how to punch it up.

Don't you ever think, I'm sure whatever I'm going to do has been done before already, and better
How do you come up with something truly unique that would stand out

ahh, you're a spineless faggot
sage'd & kys

Attached: u_r_a_ginger.jpg (654x750, 61.26K)

Ezpz do the Star Trek/Sitcom approach and make every installment a completely contained, smaller plot of its own

idk, read/watch a lot of scifi, play scifi videogames. I get most of my ideas from reading and videogames. My brain starts to think, "oh this this a neat idea, but what if it was a little different?"

Honestly it doesn't have to be the most original thing in the world, you need some good characters and a couple neat scifi ideas or worldbuilding ideas. The Last Of Us is just The Road + Walking Dead, but the characters are super good and Ellie being the cure are fresh ideas. Think of the stuff you really like, try to identify what you like about them, think about what cool scifi stuff you could do that isn't in that book.

Then write and use a good outline to make sure you have somewhere to go and the plane will land.

And since you can draw, you can also doodle cool characters and ships and aliens to keep yourself inspired and excited

But also stop being a pussy and grind out the work, like I said you can improve bad work but if you never start then you'll never finish your comic or show pitch

>I can't think of a good plot for the life of me
You should probably start with a concept. What KIND of stories are you interested in? Look at the stuff you like and get inspired. It starts with a concept and you can branch out from there.
>even if I did it'd probably be mediocre anyway
retarded thought process. abandon this line of reasoning asap, no story-creator thinks of this at all, they just tell stories about things that interest them.

Either:
>read some comics from webtoons, steal some plots but change them to make them your own
>hire a writer. They don't have to have full control, most comics actually have the artist as a co-writer

an anthology?

good advice

In my opinion, don't try to make a masterpiece, make something enjoyable. Look after some decent shows and understand what makes em good. And, something very important, never absolutely , resolve the main plot with the power of the friendship or doing a deus ex machina, those ruin the show completely. I don't believe in you user but you do, enough to ask the opinion of strangers. Good luck

how long would making an animated 90 minute movie actually take, assuming you worked on it full time

It takes hundreds of people years to make a professional quality animated film, it's basically impossible solo. Even just storyboarding it takes a team of artists a year at the fastest. It's getting a little easier with Unreal and home mocap studios but it's still a ways off from being able to do it all solo. You either need to do a graphic novel or create a really good pitch and try to sell the film.

Makoto Shinkai made Voices of a Distant Star (25 minutes) all by himself working full time for 7 months. A full 90 minute movie would probably take around 2 years

I'd like to add to my post actually:
do not try to make something "good". this should not be part of your writing process. write a story you LIKE, all that matters is that you LIKE it. no artists are thinking "gee i hope this is good" because they're way too busy enjoying what they're doing. anyone saying anything about "do this good and this good" can be discarded right away, because they probably don't know what they're talking about.

people telling you to read certain things or do certain things are also full of shit and have no idea what they're talking about. whatever you are most interested in is all that matters. if someone starts going "be sure to read the Tales of the Bottles of the Ride by theodore j. m. r. l. tolken" they probably don't know anything.

sounds like you need a writer who wants to make similar content but doesn't have the artistic talent to make a comic/animated cartoon
a good place to start for you would be a sci-fi community where people post their written works, like short stories or even fanfiction
find someone whose writing you like, someone who knows the genre you would like to draw in, and they'll take care of all the details like "What's something that hasn't been done before?" and "What cliches in this genre should I avoid?"
and for a trial run you can have them type up a one-shot worth of writing that you can draw, to see if they like your art and you like their writing

Jesus that seems insanely fast -- writing, designs, storyboarding, animating, background paintings, CG (modeling and animating), compositing, voice acting, sound and score

Seven months is rocket fueled to do 25 minutes solo

You need a list of characters, good, bad, inbetween. A list of places, towns, cities woods,bodies of water, mountains.
Then you basically just need a main charachter and a small group around them, the group can get bigger later.
Give them a goal, give them a reason to reach that goal, give them someone to compete against/rival, Henchman of bad guy, perhaps a love interest or family issues.
There's a lot of basic stuff most stories do, just do most of those things first.
And you can add some "twist" later.
It can be a stupid simple twist, like has twin, is secretly robot, their family member wasn't dead, they're gay...ectra.
And you have a story.
>i want story that's diffrent
No story is different, they are all the same, all of them.
You just have to mix different things in different way.
Plan for more then one story arc.
If their goal is to get an item, kill someone, become a king or whatever, then there can be different steps to those. Maybe plan a future generation younger characters, also don't forget old experienced characters to help.
>all this is obvious
Well yeah, but write down detailed answers for all of this, and you have a basic story.
And different goals after those.