Why Did VB6 Fail To Replace C++ In The 90s?

At a time when GUI design was a pain in the behind, why did VB6 fail to end C++ even though it made development of apps a breeze with its GUI designer, compared to the slow time developing an app in C++ without one?

Attached: integration-vb-6-form.gif (668x534, 36.8K)

Code monkeys are replaceable. They KNOW they're replaceable. There was no way that they were going to let programming be placed back into the hands of Joe Blow like it was in the 1980s. So a hard disinformation campaign of maligning VB (and to a lesser extent, Delphi) was rapidly run to gatekeep.

Who is Joe Blow? And what was it like in the 1980s?

They didn't want to making programming too easy.

I just started learning C++a few weeks ago and am a complete newb. Although I really enjoy it, it will probably always be just a hobby because I could never visualize a career in programming or coding.

each simple thing you learn will become a habit the more and more you use it
game dev is a big meme but maybe its a good idea for someone starting to get down the idea of knowing how to write and interperet dense code and troubleshoot it

C developers had a bet, either make it fail or shave their beards

Things used to be so simple back then. And GUI was consistent, no fat touch buttons and ugly flat design.

You will never truly understand C++, ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

Attached: dickspizza.png (700x654, 464.95K)

>slower
>shittier
Guess. It's still a reasonable beginner language though.

I think he meant Jonathon Blow.

Attached: 1625587049772.jpg (540x690, 197.64K)

a placeholder name for average computer user; all computers would let you program whatever in basic which was slow but easy to learn and done the job well enough for most people

this might be the single most important thing I've read about programming

oh my god i remember this in school, and then the windows 7 version or whatever in highschool. it was so good
i couldnt understand any others of the three "computer languages" they tried to teach (it was between this, scratch, and (not joking) microsoft excel macros). and then languages. but VB was actually so good - even a mentally retarded could understand it
maybe thats why it failed though
because C++ was harder!

Because elitism saved humanity

VB was pitched as "rapid prototyping" in marketing docs and published articles. Nobody considered it capable of producing the end product, not even microsoft.
The reason why you couldn't was that the base language itself was incomplete - you simply couldn't express all of the programs out there in VB without essentially hacking the interpreter to do things it wasn't meant to.
The way you were supposed to work was you put together the GUI, you made your event driven stubs for all the buttons, controls, menus, etc. You hashed up some basic VB to replace those stubs that demonstrated basic functionality for the users and the PHB to critique. Then after much back and forth now you know what they ACTUALLY want as opposed to the sheer lies written in the design doc, you start coding up the real implementation in C++.
It was suggested you could implement it as a .dll and bit by bit delete the VB code and replace it with a call to your .dll code but in practice by the time you get to this point in development the GUI is the least of your time and hacks to share data with the non-replaced VB code become a source of terrible bugs.

fuck off

>VB was actually so good - even a mentally retarded could understand it
this checks out. VB6 was my first foray into """programming""" with those calculator + web browser tutorials lol

based

Then explain this generation's BASIC/VB: Python.

Python is irredeemable shit in every measurable way. It has no history, no compatibility (even with itself), and is best thought of as a mild improvement on shell scripting. It's the FOSS version of PowerShell, just marginally more self-sufficient.
>b-buh muh shit ai experiments are in python
It's just interfaces to a real program (usually written in C) that does all the heavy lifting. Yes, it can be argued strongly that VB's draw was it's GUI toolkit (which was also written in real languages like C or Pascal), but it wasn't completely dependent on it, and a sufficiently-advanced user with VB could surpass it quite easily. No such accusation could ever be levelled at Python: it's garbage, always has been, always will be.
As such, all it will ever produce is garbage programmers - something we see an endless parade of today. Rest assured, in 30 years, Microsoft, Apple, etc. won't be full of senior engineers who cut their teeth on Python - compare and contrast with the senior engineers they have now who cut their teeth on things like Commodore BASIC.