I figured this would be a good place to ask, you guys are techy

I figured this would be a good place to ask, you guys are techy.
I have an old pc, and it's deader than fuck. If you try to turn it on, it's just black, and yes the monitor is plugged in properly.
I want to try and get the files off of that computer, I had some pretty cool recordings of songs I was working on from back in the day, and would like to listen to them again.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg.4c737ee265b01754f32f7e94eb047462.jpg (1194x1600, 201.8K)

Attached: power_supply.png (1150x671, 972.47K)

The hard drive might very likely be recoverable. But you’ll have to cannibalize the rest of the stuff with other working parts.

Pull the hdd, plug it into another pc.

Can I do that with a laptop?

yes, you just need a sata to usb harness, the one that has an external power cord.

If is 2.5 inch (little slim ones that fit on your palm) yes. If one of the older thick drives the size of a car radio, you'll need an adapter.

You can if you buy an $8 piece off of amazon make sure you buy the right one that thing might have an IDD hard drive which has a different connector. Open it up and take a look

Thanks a lot, frens.
I got it brand new in 2005-2006.

From a laptop or into a laptop? I mean either way probably doesn't matter since you'll most likely run into architecture and/or driver issues if you try to just swap the drive into another machine and boot from it. A USB to SATA/IDE hard drive adapter is probably under $15 from scamazon or wherever. Should come with an AC adapter which will power the drive in the event it can't run on USB alone. Plug everything up, power on the drive, and it should be hopefully get detected as if you'd plugged in any other external HDD, thumbstick or whatever. My adapter is branded Sabrent because I bought some other adapter or whatever by that brand that worked as needed but, when it comes to electronics, probably over half of amazon's shit is all the same hardware stamped with a different logo or packaged slightly different so pick whatever.

Do you live in a van?

ffs, if it's your pic related it's not that old.
Pull the HDD, put it in a USB external dock if you have a laptop. You'll need an IDE one if it's a rectangular connector with a bunch of pins, or a SATA one if it's an "L" shaped plastic wedge connector with pins flat on the plastic.

"Old as fuck" would be an MFM or RLL HDD.

Reseat the ram, that is a easy fix and could make it power on and save you the hassle of moving things around
If that doesn't work follow user's help
Also check the cmos battery, some motherboard don't power on without a functioning battery

Nigger, you seen the price of vans?

Get youself something like this - a sata ide usb dock (this one is like sixty bucks off newegg).
Will work with either kind of old drive and all those memory slots in the front too. Will supply enough power for old disks (a lot of simple USB only adaptors won't supply enough power for an old mechanical disk).

Attached: file.png (1280x960, 572.31K)

Hold down the power button for like a minute without any power attached to the machine. Then plug it in and turn it on.

kek

I haven't touched it in years, would that matter?

Seems a little excessive for what I want to do. It'll be a one time only thing.

Whatever you do, save the hard drive. Either the power supply is bad or your board is bad.

Attached: 1609903831423.jpg (1280x692, 247.05K)

get a sata/ide to USB adapter like that guy who lives in a van said to get. it's better than some gay dock. and don't forget you can keep the adapter in case your mom or sister or whoever has an old PC in a closet then you can use it to steal their nudes

You're a helpful bunch, here on Any Forums. Thank you.