/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: pengos.jpg (1000x667, 81.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libregamewiki.org/City_building_games
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was before my awareness of Mint so I don't know, but how did they do that link change shit anyway? Mint has 20 or 30 mirrors from various places like universities today, so I don't get how they managed to change all those links and still make them look legit. Or did Mint not have mirrors back then?

It seems like how they did it and what exactly was changed is lost to time since every news site just mentions the backdoor and nothing else.

It's been so long ago the Mint devs probably don't even remember now. Hell the maintainers might've even changed.

>It's been so long ago the Mint devs probably don't even remember now.
That's not exactly a good thing since past knowledge is used to prevent history repeating.

I have a monitor that gets detected as a TV by default and the RGB output is set as "limited" (not full 0-256 values). It looks terrible. On macOS and Windows I have managed to change this. On Windows it's right in the Radeon control panel. On mac is was quite hacky to get it working.
Is there a way I can fix this on Linux? I'm using Fedora (GNOME).

How bad is it for an SSD to occasionally install new distros? I hop every few months and I'm wondering what it's doing to the longevity of my SSD.

If fstrim is getting run on it every so often it should be fine.

your browser rapes it 10000x more with disk caching

I would like to play Valve's award-winning 1998 shooter Half-Life. pic is what i see after booting up the game in lutris. i needed that to boot the game at all, as steam would just close the game immediately when done directly. executing hl.sh directly gives me

hl_linux: malloc.c:2617: sysmalloc: Assertion `(old_top == initial_top (av) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= MINSIZE && prev_inuse (old_top) && ((unsigned long) old_end & (pagesize - 1)) == 0)' failed.
./hl.sh: line 43: 78537 Aborted (core dumped) ${DEBUGGER} "${GAMEROOT}"/${GAMEEXE} $@

i also get a notification about not having the en_us utf8 locale installed (the one im currently using), which only started showing up after i'd installed all of the 32 bit libraries that google searches told me i needed.

sorry. Here is pic.

Attached: file.png (956x1041, 16.61K)

but i store cache is memory......

stop trying to run 3D games on wine. wine is only good for 16-bit apps and other 2D 90s retro games. it's too shitty for anything else

Use wine-ge-custom instead of pure wine. It's basically proton-ge-custom but made to work outside steam better.

and it forgets all tabs and cookies and localstorage you have etc when it shuts down right

How to change Radeon gpu fan behavior on Linux? On Windows on desktop it's either work for a long time, or stopped for a long time. On Linux(Fedora 36) it's spins up and stops for 2s every 2s which is extremely annoying.

How would I get this to work on Manjaro ARM CLI ??

when i run the install.sh it says line 14 and 15 not recognized because manjaro uses pacman not apt-get .. wat do

Attached: trttrtr.png (1239x770, 31.78K)

Install the deps manually and skip those two apt-get lines.

i also already installed python3, python-pip, and gcc

Attached: fsaddfs.png (1604x910, 68.08K)

Remove line 6, 13, 14 and 15. Install the dependencies manually.
build-essential is base-devel in Arch speak. python3 is just called python.

I just realized that I have never once upgraded a Debian or Ubuntu system to a newly released version.
What command do you use to do it?

Attached: 1653747229807s.jpg (250x228, 6.67K)

Ubuntu has a script called do-release-upgrade that you can use to get to the next point release and beyond. Dunno how Debian does it.

>
Installed Arch but is my first distro and Im an idiot. When I was young I was loved with simcity 3000.
>libregamewiki.org/City_building_games
What do you recommend? Anyone into city building games?

how do I put two folders instead of one in my ncmpcpp config file?
mpd_music_dir = "/media/Data/Music/"