Is VR a meme?

Is VR a meme?
Can you picture workplaces actually using this shit like normal computers?
Would you strap this on your head for 12 hours a day?

Attached: images - 2022-06-03T161706.893.jpg (554x554, 22.89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

immersed.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

used it for 5 mins.
made me dizzy.
not for me

Resolution is too low for anything more than vidya gays. The screen door effect doesn't start to noticeably go away until around 8K and even high end graphics cards struggle to produce 100+ FPS at native 4K in every game.

I played all of Resident Evil 4 on the quest 2. First campaign I finished since like 2007. I will now sell it because everything else sucks

>Is VR a meme?
No
>Can you picture workplaces actually using this shit like normal computers?
No
>Would you strap this on your head for 12 hours a day?
No

Good for things like vr training, architecture and design.
Can't replace an array of high res monitors for anything text based, and won't be for a long time.

>Is VR a meme?
Yes, and it will be a meme until it starts working on the GNU + Linux operating system properly.

>Is VR a meme?
no
yes and I have already and it's fucking great, check out immersed.com/ so basically you get 5 big screens showing applications you want whereever you are and even with quest2 resolution and clarity it works pretty good
not that but something lighter, I did about an hour of coding for a test in immersed, need to ramp up the font size

What the fuck

Attached: lips.jpg (168x164, 4.15K)

>is Vr a meme?
No, next question

I hope that in the future we incels can get throught this and live only in tha wired like SAO.

There's no reason to use VR except in niche cases like doing demos, research, and entertainment. It's a technology in search of a problem. Many people get motion sickness from VR/3D so even for entertainment value, it doesn't have widespread appeal.

On the other hand, I see AR having more potential. Wouldn't it be great to get more contextual information of what you're looking at without having to pull out your smartphone or computer?

>SAO
go back

yes

Attached: 1579152948228.jpg (475x475, 33.81K)

You sound like the guy in 1991 saying internet has no use outside niches

NO, its super uncomfortable, hot and sweaty and makes you dizzy.

Its good for light weight use, its worthless for working

>Is VR a meme?
no
no
vidya? i did over 12h in one sitting already. desktops? only in emergencies

I tried using VR as my only display for 3 days or so in the name of science, it was not comfortable. I'm really good with VR, I don't mind carrying headset on my head, i don't even mind limited resolution (let's pretend it'll be equal to display PPI relative to your head position one day, it's entirely possible), but the thing is, VR is just not good for daily life because of all of those little activities you take on without realizing it. Having a cup of coffee, looking through the window, having a little comfy stretch around. VR focal depth is stuck at ~2m away from you, so your eye pupils don't really do anything, eyes only move as a whole when you look further away/closer in VR. I was using IPD adjustment to relieve my eyes, otherwise it was bothersome with time. You'd think there is a value in infinite amount of displays of infinite size, but (partially due to limited resolution) it really isn't as pretty as you think, and looking at fuck huge display from close-by requires you to move your head, which is a bother. I had my room modeled in VR 1:1, so i had no troubles walking around and stretching, but it just doesn't feel right with a headset on your head, you never feel full relief, it's always less than optimal. But even if we pretend that we got next gen headsets, with unlimited resolution and zero weight/bother, it still wouldn't work because it obstructs reality. Drinking from a cup suddenly becomes a challenge, you can't make a quick note, you can't check your phone. I don't think it has a shot on replacing displays, except for specific cases like 3d sclupting, CADs, scenarios where 3d perception is valuable. Customizable environment is comfy, but VR brings few other upsides to the table, so it's just not enough.

I am OOTL. Can someone tell me what's the current state of VR tech? Also, are there any VRs that I can wear with my glasses?

>current state
$300 quest 2, $1000 index, no inbetweens, both deliver satisfactory results. lots of fun vidya, few high-budget polished titles
>glasses
You kinda can, you kinda don't want to. Glasses can scratch against headset optics, not to mention low comfort of glass frame pressing against VR face gasket. VRoptican makes VR prescription lenses for 60eur, you clip this thing on your headset and forget about it forever.

Whenever I play something that should give me motion sickness I get a raging boner instead for some reason.

No and if my workplace ever implemented something so stupid and gay like VR headsets I would kill everybody and myself IRL.

>Is VR a meme?
Yes.
Until they perfect direct retinal projection and reduce the size of headsets to that of regular glasses VR will remain a meme an no one will use it.
People hate looking like dorks.

the only way it'll ever be adopted is if it becomes relatively cheap, and the form factor is similar in weight to a phone with a head strap. even still I doubt people would use it over a regular video call

with some time maybe.

there have been a lot of efforts and progress to really reduce the bulk while maintaining resolution in VR hardware

what is capable with the oculus quest 2 even stand alone running on smartphone hardware is impressive

>Is VR a meme?
not quite it's fun
no. First time users even if the won't feel ill experience a lot of body heat generation and feel exhausted, this plus the lack of productive/fast input is a big negative.
While you could use passthrough the see your environment hook up a keyboard/mouse or use subpar gestures those internal screens aren't good enough for reading.
I do for ~4hrs daily. My longest time in VR was 23hrs last new years

>Is VR a meme?
Current VR is in same shape as virtual boy. So yes, its a meme
Lol no
The future is ar glasses the size of regular glasses. Until then this virtual/augmented reality shit is a meme