I wish the PDA never died, but I don't see any way they would have survived with the advent of the smartphone

I wish the PDA never died, but I don't see any way they would have survived with the advent of the smartphone

Attached: 81qMGK8eaxL._AC_SL1500_-945916135.jpg (1416x1500, 168.86K)

I just don't understand how tapping on glass as default ever became a thing. You can't even pocket or blind type like you could with T9, it's just a horrible interface all around

Right, because a PDA with custom OS and firmware and a limited set of apps was so much better....

You nostalgiafags are fucking retarded. The moment the first app store-based phones came out that third party developers could easily jump into and write programs and apps for, the PDA was dead.

Also, the resistive touch pen makes you look like a dork.

Attached: 1638741236282.jpg (268x288, 12.88K)

Smartphones with styluses still exist like the galaxy note range and the galaxy ultra range.

expensive, also doesnt have the same feel. if you want a device with the good feel, a 3ds was the last major thing with that type of screen

> Right, because a PDA with custom OS and firmware and a limited set of apps was so much better....

They ran either Symbian or Windows Mobile. Which was basically the same situation we have now. Symbian as it were had better features and support at the time, even though it's started to die out.
Nokia basically killed everything good that could happen past PDA era, and it cost us about two years in feature development and Linux based phones, ultimately.

i mean, PDA is literally a smartphone with no GSM module. Hell, at some point ones with GSM were still called PDA, effectively making them smartphones.

PDAs never died, everyone has one now.

For me, it was the Tandy Zoomer.

Attached: zoom zoom.jpg (600x800, 68.7K)

They invented voice to text just so that fags like you could text and drive. No t9 needed.

Galaxy note doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 1653939804458.jpg (800x800, 114.2K)

i have a note but that pda shit just hit different frfr

>Tandy
literally who

Right, both of which were proprietary, shit Operating systems maintained with an iron grip by their companies. They were also poorly developed and scarcely maintained. Today at least we enjoy regular updates to the OS on the phones, even if for a few years.

Even Apple realized the only way they were getting buy in was to open the walled garden up. Windows never really managed that, and they jumped in too late because Ballmer was a retard.

Nokia would have benefitted more from just using android even in earlier stages of development, their strengths seem to be more on hardware, though their recent failures in the smartphone market to stay relevant have relegated them to the backburner for the most part, at least in consumer mindsets.

One trick pony gimmicks are not the same. You can still use a stylus on capacative touch screens. The resistive touch garbage on older PDAs was awful. I can't say if it would have benefitted much though, but that is a moot point.

Honestly, I would have rather just seen wrist mounted computers and computerized visors, but that's because I'm a cyberpunk degenerate. All the smartphones have degenerated into candybar formats. I don't know how Marquees Brownlee even makes money. He could literally template most of his videos and come out even, if he planned it right. If we are going to stick with candybar, at least make them durable, at least make them rugged, at least give the user options for SD card. the Kyocera Duraforce is fucking kino.

Attached: tumblr_7dadd380196a25b5c82bfd3a835ccd81_29853f4a_1280.jpg (1280x1729, 842.67K)

>hit different
yeah it was slower and shittier numale
please kill yourself

>at least make them durable
That is what phone cases are for, and it's better than a rugged phone because you can replace the case when it's been too ruffed up

> Right, both of which were proprietary, shit Operating systems maintained with an iron grip by their companies. They were also poorly developed and scarcely maintained. Today at least we enjoy regular updates to the OS on the phones, even if for a few years.

Nokia literally released Symbian into open source, it was about as well maintained as Android is today.
Nokia literally had the best OS with the best software support up untill about 2011, when Android actually started to pick up steam. The problem wasn't in Symbian or Maemo themselves, the problem was that Nokia tried to support three OSes at once. Which was a result of one of the biggest cases of corporate terrorism of the 21st century.
I actually had an N900, it is to date the best phone I've ever owned, especially when you compare it to what was out at the time.

Implying I don't have that on top of it? What kind of fucking response is this? Why are you like this?

Attached: cc0fe9b7aa0bcf716848851.gif (498x280, 1.04M)

Why would you wear 2 condoms

Pda run swf , ipod emulator , some dev apps ,run java , some use the old versions actually

22 May 2022 — HP iPAQ h4000/h4350 Angstrom, GPE & opie images -->reddit

some use win mobile 6.5 as calculator

iXBT Labs - Audiovox RTM-8000 GSM/GPRS module

win mobile = win phone = win ce

rasp pi use win ce version called Windows 10 IoT Core

pda is still in use pic below

Attached: 1_GzYw-NX5MjGMOGLNYNDMIg.jpg (4000x3000, 861.76K)

the samsung note was just the evolution of the pda. boomers will disagree though because "muh physical buttons" and "the pen aint what it used to be"

ok ai gen

voice to text is absolute dogshit
that doesn't solve the issue at all, it's still just tapping on glass but now it takes up even more space to do muh OCR