Can software developers explain how important discrete math applies to programming/development...

Can software developers explain how important discrete math applies to programming/development? I'm taking the class right now but struggling through it. Just curious how you guys apply it from web dev front end stuff to back end.

Attached: Discrete-Mathematics-1-839x1024.jpg (839x1024, 75.1K)

idk for web dev, but having a general grasp of linear algebra allows you to understand certain types of computation which use discrete mathematics. if you doing any machine learning, or creating 2d/3d visuals, you need to understand vectors pretty well.

midwit take but mathematics in general would increase your success in any computing tasks because computation itself roots from math.

think of it as an IQ test
if you're struggling with discrete mathematics, then you're just retarded (no offence)
imo real analysis should be mandatory for anyone studying stem at uni
except they should pass it before entering uni. if you fail you're banned from uni forever.
too many retards at uni (no offence of course, always remain positive)

What fucking operator is an arrow?
I know +, -, *, /, but what the fuck is this -> supposed to mean?

What is 2 squared?

it can be any of them

1 squared is not 4 and 3 squared is not 6
How do you know what it is?

samefag

This should explain why you need Discrete or else you get these midwits on your team

I didn't look at the photo lol
Wrong kek
So you think the arrow is an "operator" ?

You have to be pretending to be retarded. It's just fucking notation to apply "f" (some black box function) to the output Y.

it isn't just a symbol, it can be an equation
it is a way to say that x is related to y in some way

So you can explain why your implementation takes 1/1000000 as many steps as Pajeet's, among other things

What is the arrow? Not him btw

the arrow is the friends we made along the way

switch(x) {
case 1: return 4;
case 2: return 8;
case 3: return 6;
}

simple as

the arrow is how we made those friends

even when that is bait (or just a pajeet that use switch), it could be an answer

Why do you think I'm pretending to be retarded if I'm asking a rhetorical question to someone who doesn't understand what "the arrow" means?
The arrow is a graphical way to demonstrate that a function maps some input to some output. In other words the arrow shows which elements in a functions co-domain get mapped to from its domain. Hence if you were to graphically represent the function "x^2" there would be an arrow pointing from two to four.
Thinking of the arrow as a black box operator is just obfuscating things.

f(x)= { x + 3, x % 2 = 1
x + 6, x % 2 = 0

Making an algorithm that runs at a certain complexity (time or space) and verifying that it works is much closer to mathematics than it is to programming.
In discrete mathematics you deal with tress among other things IIRC and trees are data structures you see a lot.