Why does the financial industry prefer using raw SQL to modern ORM's?

Why does the financial industry prefer using raw SQL to modern ORM's?

Attached: kisspng-clip-art-microsoft-azure-sql-database-microsoft-sq-skills-5b63119fd6c064.4634905815332192318796.jpg (900x520, 54.6K)

because with SQL you know exactly what's being executed while with ORMs you don't/have to go through hoops to inspect the output/learn the ORM's inner workings

Why would you prefer ORM's?

Easier to say "good knowledge of SQL" on a job posting rather than "good knowledge of this one orm that you might have never heard of"

Transactions.

I think it's just a question of performance. There's a performance cost to all ORMs.

I assume it's to have higher accountability given they have more direct control over their systems' construction and to reduce the scope for vulnerabilities because I recall ORM opens up more opportunities for such.

All of these. I wouldn't risk with someone changing some inner workings of some third party library fucking up thousands of bank accounts or introducing vulnerabilities.

Boomers want muh job security through silos. There really isn't an argument for raw SQL over ORMs in the modern world.

People will larp about performance differences but there really isn't a significant difference aside from latency. Throughput isn't significantly impacted.

What's the argument for ORMs?

Simpler, easier to maintain, developers are cheaper, lower overhead compared to maintain a database and an main application, faster development times, the list could go on.

There's a reason why ORMs have become very popular.

I would expect most DBs in finance to be Lovecraftian horrors that can't be reasonably mapped to ORMs.
Besides, then you need to access it with different languages and raw SQL as well so you need a plain SQL definition of everything anyway.

Performance

My problem is that every time I think of a problem an ORM would solve I remember all the SQL code that's already written and the pain in the ass it would be to port it.

>2022
>ORMs are relevant

>2032
>ORMs of ORMs are relevant

>2042
>ORMs of ORMs of ORMs are relevant

>2052
>ORMs of ORMs of ORMs of ORMs are relevant

Attached: devops-2019.png (1322x454, 286.01K)

>FileZilla
so much SOVL! my friend still works at a shop that uses it for some of the frontline staff.

Attached: based chad moishe.jpg (1440x1080, 175.58K)

>boomers
>php
That's Gen X at the oldest. Boomers did Cobol and Fortran

>Why would you prefer ORM's?
This.

>Dude, you can't just code PHP you need LARAVEL.
>Dude, you can't just do raw socket queries you have to use *this trendy cloud-based API*
>Dude, why do you run your own DNS? Just use google or cloudflare.
>Bruh, nobody needs to run a SMTP server in 2022 just use gmail!

Faggots and their third-party intermediaries.

>Why does the financial industry prefer using raw SQL to modern ORM's?

I use raw SQL when I use databases. Performance and reducing latency of the application making the DB queries is the simplest reason. Any DB is already introducing substantial overhead as compared to a filesystem, with the benefit of keeping your data structured and standardized...it's generally unwise to add performance cost just to save some up-front development time, so that pajeets can continue to displace Americans.

Literally none of these is true.

>There's a reason why ORMs have become very popular.
Yeah, OO used to be some sort of religion and was seen as a solution to every problem.

because it just works why would you want to use anything else ?